• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Does burn speed really matter?

creeper6996

My Verbatim DVD-Rs are rated at 16x, my burner is rated at 16x, but I'm getting more and more back-ups that won't play on my stand alones. Is burn speed really that important to where it will create coasters?

If you say yes, I'm gonna ask why. Does anyone know why my 16x dvds and burner won't burn at 16x?

And, if it is that important, what should I be burning at with optimal results?

Thanks bunches,
Creeper

The faster the burn speed the greater the risk for errors. Also.. cheap media rated for 16X is lucky if it'll handle 8X sometimes. I burn at 6x with my new burner and 4x with my older one. No problems here.

8X is the fastest I'd ever "let" anyone go... past that a lot of machines can't keep up with the drive I/O speed anyway.

-W

Aha, so machine speed matters also. So, Clams, your recommendation would be no more than 8x. Now, how much slower (real time) will my dvds burn with me going from maximum or 16x down to 8x?

i was getting crappy copies at 12X(on 16Xburner/16Xmedia). so i slowed it down to 8X and havent had a bad copy again. and it only added a minute or two, which you'll never notice unless you stare at the screen waiting for it to finish.

Rule of thumb: Burn at 1/2 the rated media speed.
Many PC's are very capable of quality burns at 16X w/the right hardware, DVDRW and media combination. I have 2 that will and 1 that won't.
The small amount of extra time it takes to burn at 8X is worth the assurance of consistent quality burns.

After the advice I got here, I started burning at 8x, and I don't think I've had any coasters since. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back