• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

do i need reclock ?

hagayg

Hi all

I just (1 month ago) bought a new tv and i use the following :

1920x1080 @ 50hz for 25fps videos
1920x1080 @ 60HZ for 29.997fps videos
1920x1080 @ 24hz for 23.976fps videos

i tried back and forth turning on and turning off reclock with these resoultions and i dont really notice any difference.

I used to use reclock to speedup 23.976fps files to 25fps (because my tv didnt support 24hz) , now i dont need it...

Do i need reclock at all with this configuration ? (i dont really need pal speed down for 25fps dvds and such)

Hagay

If you don't notice any difference, then don't use it.

Reclock is great because it can give us smooth playback and allow us to use Kernel Streaming and WASAPI. If you also don't notice any difference in audio quality, just forget about reclock, it would be one less thing that you would need to learn and handle.;)

about the smooth playback of the video , it indeed seems it doesnt make any effect.

About audio quality , most of my videos has an audio of AC3 or DTS going digitaly to my receiver, and as far i know, reclock resample them and rencode them to ac3, so i beleive it only hurts the quality , or am i wrong ?

about the smooth playback of the video , it indeed seems it doesnt make any effect.

About audio quality , most of my videos has an audio of AC3 or DTS going digitaly to my receiver, and as far i know, reclock resample them and rencode them to ac3, so i beleive it only hurts the quality , or am i wrong ?
Everything you say is right. On the other hand I would say you are highly likely to see more dropped frames (maybe only now and again) without Reclock helping to sync your clocks. You are also very likely to get synchronised frame rate/refresh rate judder with almost every player out there (with the exception of the new MPC-HC svn builds, if and only if you use EVR-CP) unless you use Reclock vsync correction (and then, beware, you have to make sure you are using the right renderer settings or Reclock vsync correction can make things worse!).

However, I am firmly of the view if you do not see anything wrong (and nobody is telling you your system is wrong) don't look for it. That way only madness lies!

Last edited:
I was running tests lately coz my Asus soundcard is acting up....well watching movies w/o Reclock is completely pointless to me! I see no point whatsoever, I can't even follow the movie...I can't stop thinking "ahhhhh dropped frame/dropped frame /dropped frame aaahhhhhh :D"

Last edited:
I was running tests lately coz my Asus soundcard is acting up....well watching movies w/o Reclock is completely pointless to me! I see no point whatsoever, I can't even follow the movie...I can't stop thinking "ahhhhh dropped frame/dropped frame /dropped frame aaahhhhhh :D"
Well you've been driven mad already so there's no hope for you! :D

BTW..... I know what you mean. I can barely watch 50% of TV show mkvs these days because half the tuners out there seem to drop/skip frames or have de-interlacing problems every few seconds. I find myself painstakingly pausing, skipping back and stepping through to confirm it IS in the source and not another spanner in my HTPC. Fortunately now, it does always seems to be a source problem, but it does not lead to a pleasant viewing experience!!

I think things are getting worse. Maybe the new generation of providers out there do not have the knowledge of the early trailblazers. Roll-on timely legally available HD downloads!!

you don't sound a lot saner than me panzani%20gino.gif

yeah, badly IVTC'ed HDTV stuff is just a major waste of time, I don't even watch them..

you don't sound a lot saner than me panzani%20gino.gif

yeah, badly IVTC'ed HDTV stuff is just a major waste of time, I don't even watch them..
It's certainly possible to do it perfectly (except, briefly, when the programme displays overlayed on-screen graphics). But fewer and fewer are to this standard.

ps. you are right kabouk.gifX2

luckily we don't live in the US, I'll take +4% accelerated stuff over constant telecine anytime of the day :D

but apparently some TV sets have internal on-the-fly IVTC? this won't save you from funky telecine though....some TV channels switch patterns sometimes, or simply goof up and ruin the sequence altogether!

luckily we don't live in the US, I'll take +4% accelerated stuff over constant telecine anytime of the day :D

but apparently some TV sets have internal on-the-fly IVTC? this won't save you from funky telecine though....some TV channels switch patterns sometimes, or simply goof up and ruin the sequence altogether!
Too true. It's better to watch the same show in SD with PAL speed up than watch the US HD IVTC version half the time.

but apparently some TV sets have internal on-the-fly IVTC?
My Samsung (786) does that. It does it so well that I actually play all my 23.976 material on 60Hz. Have to use Reclock anyways, to do the 23.976->24fps conversion. Without reclock, a frame is repeated every 40 seconds...which drives me insane. I end up sitting there, counting down the seconds to the next frame repeat.

My Samsung (786) does that. It does it so well that I actually play all my 23.976 material on 60Hz. Have to use Reclock anyways, to do the 23.976->24fps conversion. Without reclock, a frame is repeated every 40 seconds...which drives me insane. I end up sitting there, counting down the seconds to the next frame repeat.

My LG has 3:2 pulldown removal as well, but not on the HDMI inputs, only on broadcast sources.

I don't follow what you're doing. Are you saying that you are sending 23.976@24P material to your TV, which is doing IVTC? I thought 24P material telecined was 29.970fps?

I thought I understood all this, am I missing something here?

I thought 24P material telecined was 29.970fps?
No.
24fps material is slowed down to 23.976fps (to be exact is 24/1.001) and then telecined, which results in 29.970fps (to be exact is 30/1.001). All this is needed because the NTSC standard frequency is not 60Hz, but 59.94Hz (to be exact, 60/1.001).

Back