• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion - Asus BW-16D1HT issues

DeepSpace

I had some issues with my drive and want to know what you think.

I want to try if I can copy some discs that were not successfull with my other drive on my laptop.
After I managed to get back to FW 3.02, I tried some of them. (But I had the following issues in the past, so I don't think it is the firmware).
The first DVD went through without any problem. I got a read error on my other drive, but that one worked after clicking continue. So I think it is just a difference between the two drives.

However, two other discs are problematic. One DVD (Lucky Luke), one BD (Matrix Revolutions). (I havent't tried any other disc yet as I was busy figuring out whats going on).
Instead of getting read errors, the drive only goes to sleep. It simply turns off. AnyDVD shows nothing, only that the speed is at 0MB/s right now.
-When I click cancel, nothing happens.
-When I eject the disc, Windows and AnyDVD should update the information, but nothing happens.
-After turning off the drive, my external drive spinned up and AnyDVD asked me to delete the failed iso or not.

2022-05-31_084630.png 2022-05-31_090835.png
I flashed 3.10 MK firmware, same issue. It did not even recognized the Matrix BD anymore. When inserting it without AnyDVD, Windows shows it, but AnyDVD only shows an empty window.
2022-05-31_091328.png

I already thought it might be because I flashed another firmware, so I made a quick restart. Now the disc got recognized, however, when scanning the disc, the drive made some noises it usually does not.

And it went to sleep again.
I then went into device manager and deletet the driver for the drive, turned it off and on, maybe it is because the driver does not match the firmware I flashed.

I now copy another disc and will try the two discs again at a later point. However, the disc (BD) is at 24% and goes slower and slower as well, it is at 10 hours right now. So I guess the drive is done? AnyDVD showed about 22-24 hours when the harddrive turned off.
Again, same issue. Ejected the disc, nothing. Turned the disc drive off, AnyDVD wants to delete the iso.

I just flashed 3.01 and tried DVD Lucky Luke again, same error.
2022-05-31_100538.png
So I decided to give it a try with the external drive, that is supposed to give me read errors.
At first, I told it to create a logfile---- IT JUST TURNED OFF????
Same thing, ejectet the disc, nothing, turned it of, AnyDVD stopped it's loop and opened the explorer window containing the log.
However, there is something of:
When I only insert the disc, it gives me:
Code:
Structural copy protection not found.
Removed CSS copy protection!
Bad sector protection not found.

But the log told me:
Code:
Found & removed structural copy protection!
Found & removed bogus title set(s)!
Found & removed 7 potential bad sector protections!

The log from the Asus drive (that did not went to sleep when creating the log, I think)
Code:
Found & removed 5 potential bad sector protections!

When I turned the drive on again and insertet the disc, AnyDVD told me, as before:
Code:

What's happening here? Both logs have structural copy protection, the inserted disc has not.
One log has 7, the other 5 and the live disc no bad sectors.
The first log has bogus stuff, the other one and the live disc have not.

I then went to copy the disc using the external drive---
2022-05-31_101820.png

To make sure it is not the fact that I copy to iso or that I have the protection checkbox checked, I tried both to copy to iso without protection and to copy to folder.
-leaving it unchecked: 14% error, drive goes to sleep
-copy to folder: same

As you might know, I now have the metal enclosure, and the drive is connectet to a USB 3 Port.
To make sure it is not the port or AnyDVD, I went from this port on the back to the one port on the front, USB 3.0.
-first try with AnyDVD: same
-second try using MakeMKV: worse, it fails to open the disc
Code:
MakeMKV v1.16.7 win(x64-release) gestartet

Automatische Update-Überprüfung aktiviert. Sie können diese Option in den Standardeinstellungen deaktivieren, wenn Sie nicht wollen, dass MakeMKV eine Verbindung mit dem Webserver aufnimmt.

Using LibreDrive mode (v06.3 id=E064BA3E3F81)

Direkter Zugriffsmodus wird verwendet

Titel #1 hat eine Länge von 10 Sekunden und wurde übersprungen, da die minimale Titellänge 120 Sekunden beträgt

Titel #2 hat eine Länge von 19 Sekunden und wurde übersprungen, da die minimale Titellänge 120 Sekunden beträgt

CELLs 12-end wurden wegen CELL-Befehlen übersprungen (evt. Strukturschutz)

Umfangreicher Multiplexer gefunden - 10 CELLs und 6298 VOBUs müssen gescannt werden. Dies wird einige Zeit in Anspruch nehmen. Bitte haben Sie Geduld - dieser Vorgang ist notwendig.

Titel #3 (1:28:07) wurde aufgrund eines Navigationsfehlers übersprungen

CELLs 18-end wurden wegen CELL-Befehlen übersprungen (evt. Strukturschutz)

Das Öffnen der Disk schlug fehl
-third try using DVDShrink: same, stops at 16%
2022-05-31_105828.png

-fourth try using DVDfab: fails as well, 15%, status window shows VTS_02_1.VOB.
Code:
Info for drive [F:\] (DVDFab 12.0.7.0)

Vendor: ASUS, Product: BW-16D1HT

Revision: 3.01, Vendor specific: W000800KLGK8SA4855

Drive region: 2 (RPC II), changes left: 4(user) / 4(vendor)

AACS v1, AGIDs: 2, revocation level: Unknown

Support: BUS_ENCRYPTION=YES BN_GENERATION=YES

Disc media: DVD (DVD-Video)

Disc region: 2, 8

Volume name: LUCKY_LUKE

Video standard: PAL

Layer 0 size: 1856064 sectors (3625 MBytes)

Layer 1 size: 1856064 sectors (3625 MBytes)

CSS (Content Scramble System) protection is removed.

RC (Region Code) protection is removed.

RCE (Region Code Enhancement) protection not found.

APS (Analog Protection System) protection not found.

UOPs (User Operation Prohibitions) protection is removed.

Invalid CELLs, VOBUs protection is removed.

Invalid PTTs, PGCIs, PGCs, TMAPs protection not found.

Fake vts protection not found.

Structure protection (ARccOS, RipGuard, etc.) not found.

PathPlayer is enabled!

Unplayable cell (vts:1 title pgc:1 cell:2) is removed.

Unplayable cell (vts:1 title pgc:2 cell:2) is removed.

2 unplayable cells are removed.

full disc copy/play is supported

Conclusion: It is neither the USB Port nor an AnyDVD issue, since other programs fail as well and they also don't react until I turn off the drive.
Is there anything I can do, or is the drive broken?

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.6.2.1_Info_F_Lucky Luke.ziplog
    87.4 KB · Views: 2
  • AnyDVD_8.6.2.1_Info_F_Lucky Luke 2.ziplog
    80 KB · Views: 1
Please try other DVD discs. If other discs work then this disc is defective. I assume you tried cleaning it.

I assume you tried cleaning it.
Yes of course, but it is a used disc with some small scratches. I know that these discs can fail, it is only about the fact that the drive just goes to sleep instead of throwing read erros into my face.

Please try other DVD discs.
As I said, the first disc had no single problem, and I already had this issue in the past. I only never said it.
I have three other discs I want to try, but I have no time today anymore. So please wait till tomorrow.

It just came into my mind that I already had a post like this, there you recommend that I should buy the enclosure.
Since I now have a new PC, I will connect the Asus to my laptop with the same disc (and other discs after that) to see what happens there.
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/semi-solved-weird-drive-or-disc-behavior.82687/

Make sure the USB power settings for windows are set correctly...i.e. to not sleep. You'll find it in the advanced power settings for the power profile you're using. Barring that the USB enclosure isn't getting enough power.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

I already did that, as I know of it. But that was independend to AnyDVD or the Drive after installing Windows.
2022-05-31_132135.png

Then your case is not getting enough power.
As I said, other discs went fine in the past.
Also it has it's own power supply and it is plugged in directly into the PC, no Hub in between.
Also it is spinning up to good speed, and if there is not enough power, why is it always at 14% for this one disc? And another value for the BD?

Still, as I want to try it on my laptop tomorrow, I will also try another power socket.

Tried to uninstall the USB driver and restart, not sure if it did anything.

However, I think I have found at least one thing: I was too fast. When I wait longer, the drive spins up and goes to sleep several times, until eventually I got the error message.
I tried it with different firmwares, none seemed to make a difference (I did not wait till the error pooped up, but they had the same behavior). Also I tried it on my laptop, same result.

Of course I know that the disc might be the root cause, it only bugs me that the drive just goes to sleep instead of giving me the error right away. That makes me think that there is more than just a faulty disc and that is the reason why I posted it, because I want to find it out.

I will try it again with the other drives and at the end I will try DVDisaster for the first time, if it does anything.

There was one change today: I was able to create logfiles without the need to shut down the drive because it gets stuck.
Maybe it was because of the USB driver, maybe not.
The problem is, that all three logs say different things compared to when I inject the disc.
The status window, always:
Code:

But, all three logs say there is structural and bad sector protection:
Code:
Found & removed 5 potential bad sector protections!

Yes, the disc might not be rippable because of read errors, but how is that possible? How can a log say something and then the status window after that shows something completly different?

Unfortunately, I forgot to disable the drive after flashing one firmware, so one log with 3.10 should be another firmware instead of what the log says.
Also, the first log I had today seemed to be correct, but sadly AnyDVD overwrote that log later because it had the same filename. I will see if I can redo it again tomorrow, for now I will only leave the three other logs.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.6.2.1_Info_F_Lucky Luke 3.01.ziplog
    87 KB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_8.6.2.1_Info_F_Lucky Luke 3.10 (2).ziplog
    88.4 KB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_8.6.2.1_Info_F_Lucky Luke 3.10.ziplog
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
How about a raw ISO with dvdisaster?
I will try it again with the other drives and at the end I will try DVDisaster for the first time, if it does anything.
As I said, I already plan to use it. I will also try the two other drives I have, because I suspect it might be the Asus drive itself, not only a disc problem.

Let me know if you have trouble with dvdisaster.
Yes, I have.
I will now try what the other two drives do, using my laptop. Till now I only used the Asus, connected onto my main PC.
2022-06-02_084825.png 2022-06-02_084902.png

I now tried the two other drives and they behave as expected (details will follow). So yes, the disc is undeniable faulty, but as I thought (and thats why I posted it) there has to be something with the drive.

Just to be sure, I now tried the Asus with my laptop and it did the same as before.
When reaching 14%, it slowed down, went to sleep and just spinned up again. RIght before posting this, it went to sleep.

Since it is the same on two different computers and since I already had these issues in the past (remember the link I postet above, I used the SATA adapter back then, you told me I should buy the enclosure. I now have this enclosure and I have the same issues, so it has to be the drive).

Since the logfiles and screenshots are on my laptop, I will create a second post for them. Please wait a sec.

What do I mean when I say the two drives work as expected? When reaching 14%, they fiddle around a bit as they always did on other discs when they try to read something difficult, but then they give me the error message right away. They don't go to sleep and it happens after a few seconds, not after some minutes.

(If you think the screenshots are bad, yes, but I don't know why the program now cripples the border of the windows like that, either it is because of W11 or I never noticed it before, but that would be strange.)

First, I tried my internal drive. It is a DVD drive, the MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ890AS 1.50.
Just as the Asus, the Status window said nothing about structural copy protection etc, but the log did:
2022-06-02_085855.png 2022-06-02_091107.png
Code:
Found & removed 6 potential bad sector protections!
WARNING: Read errors on disc!

However, this is the first time I read the Warning about read errors. I just checked the three logs I posted yesterday, only one of them (3.10) has this line, maybe I missed it yesterday. The other two logs don't have this line.
One maybe important detail: both logs without this line report 5 bad sector protections. Both the 3.10 log and the two logs from my laptop say 6 bad sector protections, and only these logs have this line. Connection?

Then I tried the external slim BD drive, PIONEER BD-RWBDR-UD04 1.11:
Again, the status window and the log are completely different.
2022-06-02_091201.png 2022-06-02_092142.png
Code:
Found & removed 6 potential bad sector protections!
WARNING: Read errors on disc!

Then, as already said, I tried the Asus. Same thing, different status than the log and it went to sleep, but here I also got the log with the warning and 6 errors instead of 5.
2022-06-02_092711.png

Again, the question: Since it seems to be the drive, not (only) the disc, why is the status window ALWAYS different than the log, also on the two other drives that work as they should (don't go to sleep but giving me the error right away)??

And what do you think, with the fact that the other two are working and only the Asus goes to sleep, do you think the Asus is broken? In that case I should buy a new one, but maybe that is not really necessary. I purchased the Asus to make it friendly so I can copy UHD discs. But last weekend I discovered that I can now read UHD discs with the Pioneer slim as well, thanks to the MakeMKV AnyDVD update!!! THANKS!

I will now (maybe I will report today, maybe tomorrow) try the other discs in my laptop and the Pioneer to see if these also work as they should, but if they do this is the final prove that the Asus is done with it. (Well, I already did that last weekend, but I let them run in the background, now I will keep an eye on them to see what happens).

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.6.2.1_Info_D_Lucky Luke internal.ziplog
    81.7 KB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_8.6.2.1_Info_E_Lucky Luke external slim.ziplog
    83 KB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_8.6.2.1_Info_E_Lucky Luke Asus on laptop.ziplog
    82 KB · Views: 0
I now tried the other discs.
The Pioneer gave me a read error for two BDs, but went to sleep for one BD. However, the log and the status window are the same, unlike the logs above.
Then I had two DVDs (one box), I tried them on the internal drive. The first failed, the second worked. I cannot remember if it worked before as well or not, but the point is that it gave me a read error for the first disc instead of going to sleep.

I now tried the other discs.
The Pioneer gave me a read error for two BDs, but went to sleep for one BD. However, the log and the status window are the same, unlike the logs above.
Then I had two DVDs (one box), I tried them on the internal drive. The first failed, the second worked. I cannot remember if it worked before as well or not, but the point is that it gave me a read error for the first disc instead of going to sleep.
You can also load ANYDVD and then use Imgburn to create an ISO. Under Mode Tools Read you can adjust the number of software retries and activate hardware retries and set the number of those.

Back