• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discs play on LG standalone BD player, but not on any PC BD drive

When all else fails that sometimes works. It has for me before.
If you use that with structural protection, it will not remove the structural protection, as far as I recall, but instead copy it.

The interesting thing is the Pioneer log is 1 KB larger than the ASUS one. Don't know if that means anything.
This could be normal, as Pioneer reads the discs slightly differently from other brands, to what I recall from the extended tests I did.

The log files also show that there is a structural protection.

ASUS:
Code:
Summary for drive R: (AnyDVD HD 8.7.1.0, BDPHash.bin 20-03-11)
ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.11
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1
Current profile: DVD-ROM
Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2089792 sectors (4081 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: DIGIMON_3_DISC_8
Media is not CSS protected.
Media is region free.
Video Standard: NTSC

AI scan forced, heuristic scan detected no protection!
Found & removed structural copy protection!
RCE protection not found.
UDF filesystem patched!
Found & removed 1 potential bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Pioneer:
Code:
Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD HD 8.7.1.0, BDPHash.bin 20-03-11)
PIONEER BD-RWBDR-UD03 1.14
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)
Media is a DVD.

Media is region free.

UDF filesystem patched!

Both show in the log:
Code:
copy protection based on unreadable sectors: 400

The LG:
Code:
Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD HD 8.7.1.0, BDPHash.bin 20-03-11)
HL-DT-ST BD-REWH16NS60 1.03 
Media is a DVD.

Media is region free.

UDF filesystem patched!

Code:
copy protection based on unreadable sectors: 400

Is your AI scanner setting the default or setting aggressive?

1714174478543.png
I am asking because it shows an AI scan forced in the log file.
If it is aggressive, please set it on default and see if that has an effect.

It is highly unlikely ripping to image will work. It will most likely fail to read, too. If AnyDVD's file ripper doesn't work, if DVDShrink by itself doesn't work, if a copy and paste in File Explorer doesn't work, and that utility which shall not be named doesn't work, the AnyDVD image ripper will most likely not work. Since all reads have failed so far, there's something more than AnyDVD being unable to read it at play here, most likely.

Is your AI scanner setting the default or setting aggressive?

View attachment 79213
I am asking because it shows an AI scan forced in the log file.
If it is aggressive, please set it on default and see if that has an effect.

I'll check. However, if I had to hazard a guess, if AnyDVD can't read it and if DVDShrink can't read it with AnyDVD disabled, changing the AI scanner won't make much difference. But, it's something to try.

It's most likely a false positive to begin with probably caused by an authoring/mastering error. Why would 2 out of 32 discs be structurally copy protected and no others?

changing the AI scanner won't make much difference
There was a reason it was supposed to be on default, but I can't recall what exactly it was.

1714174805382.png

It's most likely a false positive to begin with probably caused by an authoring/mastering error. Why would 2 out of 32 discs be structurally copy protected and no others?
Can you randomly scan three additional discs and provide a log file for comparison to verify if there is no protection?

It is highly unlikely ripping to image will work. It will most likely fail to read, too. If AnyDVD's file ripper doesn't work, if DVDShrink by itself doesn't work, if a copy and paste in File Explorer doesn't work, and that utility which shall not be named doesn't work, the AnyDVD image ripper will most likely not work. Since all reads have failed so far, there's something more than AnyDVD being unable to read it at play here, most likely.
It is worth a try. Nothing beats a trial but a failure.

There was a reason it was supposed to be on default, but I can't recall what exactly it was.

View attachment 79215

Can you randomly scan three additional discs and provide a log file for comparison to verify if there is no protection?

Sure. I'll scan Volume 1 Disc 1, Volume 2 Disc 1, and Volume 4 Disc 1.

I'll also provide one for Volume 1 Disc 7. See if that returns there's copy protection in the logs.

Attachments

• Volume 1 Disc 1 AnyDVD_8.7.1.0_Info_R_DIGIMON_DISC_1.ziplog
    128.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Volume 1 Disc 7 AnyDVD_8.7.1.0_Info_R_DIGIMON_DISC_7.ziplog
    130.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Volume 2 Disc 1 AnyDVD_8.7.1.0_Info_R_DIGIMON_2_DISC_1.ziplog
    124.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Volume 4 Disc 1 AnyDVD_8.7.1.0_Info_R_DIGIMON_4_DISC_1.ziplog
    124.7 KB · Views: 4
They all show:

Code:
ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.11
Media is a DVD.
Total size: 2202256 sectors (4301 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: DIGIMON_DISC_1
Media is region free.

Found & removed invalid cell pieces!
UDF filesystem patched!
Found & removed 2 potential bad sector protections!
WARNING: Read errors on disc!

ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.11
Media is a DVD.
Total size: 2202240 sectors (4301 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: DIGIMON_DISC_7
Media is region free.

UDF filesystem patched!

ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.11
Media is a DVD.
Total size: 2202240 sectors (4301 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: DIGIMON_2_DISC_1
Media is region free.

UDF filesystem patched!

ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.11
Media is a DVD.
Total size: 2202256 sectors (4301 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: DIGIMON_4_DISC_1
Media is region free.

UDF filesystem patched!

It seems that they are all protected.
Since AI is on default. Try to set it to Aggressive for the two discs that don't copy and see if there is any change.

Since they are all protected, it could be that the discs you can't copy either have a slightly different protection or have a "manufacturer error."

Well, there does seem to be a bug somewhere because AnyDVD never displays the scanning bar indicative of structural protection except when creating log files and the AnyDVD main window says none of these discs have structural protection.

Let me try changing the AI scanner to Aggressive. Prediction: won't matter. ;)

Well, I saw no Aggressive setting for AI Scanner but I did change it to Always Enabled (not recommended). I am guessing that's the same setting.

As I predicted: failure! ;)

While I'm here, let me test the Rip to image for its failure, which it will. ;) And, it did!

Well, I saw no Aggressive setting for AI Scanner but I did change it to Always Enabled (not recommended). I am guessing that's the same setting.
Yes, that's the one.

Maybe @James can have a look at the log files.
Maybe he can find an indicator of why the protection doesn't show in the AnyDVD Window but in the log file.

And if those two discs indeed have a problem.

Volume 1 Disc 7

Volume 3 Disc 8

There MUST be false positives somewhere for structural protection, and most likely in the log scanning.

1.) AnyDVD's main interface window that pops up with disc info upon insertion for discs that AnyDVD file ripper ripped correctly say there is no structural protection, CSS protection, or any protection.

2.) Here's the killer: DVDShrink, without AnyDVD resident, reads in discs that AnyDVD file ripper ripped okay. It then wrote that disc out to a new VIDEO_TS without error. I then read the DVDShrink output back into itself and wrote a new output. No errors on input or output. I then tested the output and there are no apparent errors in the DVDShrink output I put on a forward scan in MPC-HC.

So, if I had to hazard a guess there are actually 2 things going on here. 1.) AnyDVD is falsely detecting structural protection when reading the logs for these discs. 2.) There is some sort of authoring/mastering error on Volume 1 Disc 7 and Volume 3 Disc 8 that prevents them from playing on PC drives. That's why they work on my LG standalone BD player connected to my TV.

OR there could be actual structural protection on these discs that a bug in AnyDVD is not displaying in the software interface window. That would explain why it works on the LG standalone. Structural protection rarely prevents DVD's from playing on standalone players. It can sometimes, but rarely.

That there actually IS structural protection on these discs that AnyDVD's main interface window is not displaying makes a little more sense to explain why the discs work on my LG standalone player. However, because the other 30 discs were fine, it seems more likely some sort of authoring/mastering error occurred on those 2 discs alone.

Yes, that's the one.

Maybe @James can have a look at the log files.
Maybe he can find an indicator of why the protection doesn't show in the AnyDVD Window but in the log file.

And if those two discs indeed have a problem.

Volume 1 Disc 7

Volume 3 Disc 8

I set the AI scanner back to its Automatic default setting.

I think it's best to let this be for now and see if James can take a look at this and make heads or tails of it. It has me stumped at this point.

2.) Here's the killer: DVDShrink, without AnyDVD resident, reads in discs that AnyDVD file ripper ripped okay. It then wrote that disc out to a new VIDEO_TS without error. I then read the DVDShrink output back into itself and wrote a new output. No errors on input or output. I then tested the output and there are no apparent errors in the DVDShrink output I put on a forward scan in MPC-HC.
This is a bit confusing.
DVDShrink, without AnyDVD resident, reads in discs that AnyDVD file ripper ripped okay

Does that mean you read the Disc with DVDShrink directly, not the folder that AnyDVD created?

I attempted to read in Volume 1 Disc 7 and Volume 3 Disc 8 in the following ways that all failed:

1.) AnyDVD's file ripper
2.) DVDShrink directly reading the disc from the PC drive without AnyDVD resident.
3.) DVDShrink directly reading the disc from the PC drive with AnyDVD resident.
4.) A copy and paste of the VIDEO_TS folder in File Explorer without AnyDVD resident since the AnyDVD main interface window told me there was no copy protections of any kind.
5.) A copy and paste of the VIDEO_TS folder in File Explorer with AnyDVD resident even though the AnyDVD main interface window told me there was no copy protections of any kind.
6.) The precursor software to ImgBurn.

This is a bit confusing.
DVDShrink, without AnyDVD resident, reads in discs that AnyDVD file ripper ripped okay

Does that mean you read the Disc with DVDShrink directly, not the folder that AnyDVD created?

The DVDShrink reading a VIDEO_TS folder was a test of a working disc that AnyDVD's file ripper worked on. I took Volume 3 Disc 1 which AnyDVD's file ripper successfully worked on and read that into DVDShrink. I then wrote a new VIDEO_TS with DVDShrink from the VIDEO_TS read from Volume 3 Disc 1 in the PC drive. I then read in the new VIDEO_TS that DVDShrink wrote from the VIDEO_TS off of the disc in the PC drive to test to make sure the output was correct. This was all just to test to make sure there was no actual structural protection on the disc. Well, any structural protection that "mattered." IF Volume 3 Disc 1 did have actual structural protection that "mattered" DVDShrink would either 1.) not be able to read it in as input or 2.) write an output that was not playable properly.

The DVDShrink reading a VIDEO_TS folder was a test of a working disc that AnyDVD's file ripper worked on. I took Volume 3 Disc 1 which AnyDVD's file ripper successfully worked on and read that into DVDShrink. I then wrote a new VIDEO_TS with DVDShrink from the VIDEO_TS read from Volume 3 Disc 1 in the PC drive. I then read in the new VIDEO_TS that DVDShrink wrote from the VIDEO_TS off of the disc in the PC drive to test to make sure the output was correct. This was all just to test to make sure there was no actual structural protection on the disc. Well, any structural protection that "mattered." IF Volume 3 Disc 1 did have actual structural protection that "mattered" DVDShrink would either 1.) not be able to read it in as input or 2.) write an output that was not playable properly.
AnyDVD would already have removed the protection when you ripped it to the hard disk.
That's why DVDShrink can open the DVD Folder Structure created by AnyDVD.

If " structural protection existed," DVDShrink would not proceed and would pop an error message.

That's why I loaded the disc in DVDShrink. :) IF Digimon Volume 3 Disc 1 had structural copy protection like the AnyDVD logs of that disc say it removed, DVDShrink with AnyDVD not resident would not have properly read in the disc, let alone write output of Volume 3 Disc 1. Since DVDShrink read and wrote the disc fine without AnyDVD resident, there must not be any structural copy protection on Volume 3 Disc 1 or any of the discs. That's what I was trying to prove. AnyDVD's log may say they're removing structural proteciton, but there must actually be none present if DVDShrink will read in the disc.

Back