• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discs play on LG standalone BD player, but not on any PC BD drive

dbminter

This issue is not really specific to AnyDVD, but I've got an odd duck here. I've got a 32 disc DVD set with no copy protection on any of them. They're all DVD-5's. 30 of the discs are just fine, but 2 of them do not play on any BD PC drive from ASUS, Pioneer, or LG. BUT, the 2 discs DO play on my LG standalone BD player connected to my TV.

I tested the discs in MPC-HC and marked where they stopped playing on my PC. I then tested the discs at these points on my LG standalone BD player connected to my TV and they play just fine during those episodes at those points. I even played the entire episodes on my LG and they played fine.

I can't possibly fathom why the discs, which are apparently fine, won't play on any PC BD drive. I've tried external and internal. I've tried a Pioneer internal BD, an LG WH16NS60 in an enclosure, and an ASUS BW-16DT in an enclosure and they won't play properly.

This has me really stumped. The discs don't appear to be bad/scratched/defective, etc. since at the points they fail on these 2 discs, they play on my LG standalone BD player.

Can anyone think of anything?

This DVD set is the complete series of Digimon R1. The discs are not copy protected. AnyDVD fails to read them with no error message. The read just stops and the drive light flashes in a read error. DVDShrink fails to read in the discs, too. Since the discs are not protected in any way, even a copy and paste in File Explorer fails. No error messages at all, just stops in reading and the drive light flashes a read error. The two discs that are not readable on PC are Volume 1 Disc 7 and Volume 3 Disc 8.

A log file is attached, but I doubt it will indicate anything in this admittedly odd issue.

Thanks!

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.7.1.0_Info_D_DIGIMON_3_DISC_8.ziplog
    105.6 KB · Views: 10
Clean the discs with liquid soap and warm water. Standalone players just skip sectors they can't read and you might not even notice. Rippers need to read 100% OK.

I tried a radial cleaner and 90% isopropyl alcohol already, but that didn't help. However, I've never tried liquid soap and warm water to clean a DVD before. Let me see if that helps. I'll get back on that in a bit.

Try first with the Pioneer. The error correction is better.

Try copying the discs with AnyDVD either not running or is disabled.

No CSS, no copy protection, single layer DVD. From what little I can read of the log file the discs look to not be commercially pressed discs, they look like burned on-demand type DVDs. If they are shiny silver bottom pressed DVDs the source to create this set certainly wasn't.

I see you are using DVD Shrink. Use that to back up the discs when AnyDVD is not part of "the equation."

From my experience trying to copy a disc like these with AnyDVD active makes it harder to do the copy, for example when I want to read from a DVD copy I had previously created and burned onto a blank DVD.

Unfortunately, no luck after cleaning.

I was not aware Pioneer's had better error correction. I knew to use my WH16NS60 last as it has proven to be not as good a reader in the past. It has failed to ready many discs correctly that my Pioneer and ASUS drives would.

Oh, forgot to mention a very important fact: this same behavior occurred on TWO copies of this set. I got a replacement set first, thinking it was just a case of some bad discs in my original set. But, I got the exact same problems on the exact same discs at the exact same spots in both sets.

Disable/exit AnyDVD and try the copy process again.

I tried DVDShrink without AnyDVD running, trying to isolate if it was an AnyDVD issue. DVDShrink still failed to read it as did File Explorer's copy and paste with AnyDVD not resident in both tests.

The discs appear to be pressed. They have shiny metallic data surfaces. However, these DVD's were originally released as individual volumes with 4 DVD-10's in each volume. So, when they made the 8 DVD-5's for the complete series set, they may have made intermediary on-demand copies. Flatiron, the company that made the DVD's, appear to have learned the lesson of flippers creating many useless sets and corrected the issue with the complete series set.

Before returning the set try copying without AnyDVD active/running. You really don't have anything to lose to try it.

I've got a 32 disc DVD set with no copy protection on any of them.

no copy protection
The discs have a copy protection, at least as you can see in the logfile from the disc provided.

DVDShrink or Explorer cant copy/circumvent that protection.

Code:
AI scan forced, heuristic scan detected no protection!

Found & removed structural copy protection!

RCE protection not found.

UDF filesystem patched!

Found & removed 1 potential bad sector protections

AnyDVD fails to read them with no error message. The read just stops and the drive light flashes in a read error.
Can you please elaborate more on this?

The two discs that are not readable on PC are Volume 1 Disc 7 and Volume 3 Disc 8.
The log file is from season 3 disc 8 which can't read, correct?

Please elaborate how you copy the disc to the pc.

Hm, I don't recall the AnyDVD interface saying it found any structural protection. That bit from the log is new to me, but let me check again, just to be sure.

What happens is there are 2 lights on the drive setup: 1.) the light on the drive itself and 2.) the light on the enclosure the drive is in. When reading fails, the light stops flashing on the drive itself but the enclosure light flashes much faster, which is an error indication that reading failed.

I already got a replacement set. Same issue at the same points on the same discs in both sets.

Since that's the case, could it be an authoring/mastering error? It seems unlikely that just those 2 discs would have structural protection and none of the others would. And since it occurs on all PC drives I've tried on two different copies of the set, I have to wonder.

Volume 1 Disc 7 and Volume 3 Disc 8 all won't fully read. I just chose Volume 3 Disc 8 to get the log file from because that disc fails nearly right away whereas Volume 1 Disc 7 gets about 85% into reading before it fails.

Methods used to attempt to copy:

1.) AnyDVD Rip to hard disk.

2.) DVDShrink without AnyDVD resident.

3.) Copy and paste of VIDEO_TS from File Explorer without AnyDVD resident.

4.) That certain utility that shall not be named. ;)

Well, that's the certainly odd. The log says there's structural protection on Volume 3 Disc 8? The AnyDVD interface window says there's no structural protection found:

Summary for drive R: (AnyDVD HD 8.7.1.0, BDPHash.bin 20-03-11)
ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.11
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1
Current profile: DVD-ROM
Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2089792 sectors (4081 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: DIGIMON_3_DISC_8
Media is not CSS protected.
Media is region free.
Video Standard: NTSC

Structural copy protection not found.
UDF filesystem patched!
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

1. This should work. If the protection was completely removed and there was no manufacturer defect.

2. Won't work as mentioned if there's a structural protection.

3. Won't work as mentioned if there's a structural protection.

4. I'm not familiar with "Voldemort".

ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.11
Media is a DVD.

Media is region free.

UDF filesystem patched!
I see that the previous log was from the HL-DT-ST BD-REWH16NS60 1.03.
This info is from ASUS.
Can you try to create a log file from ASUS and Pioneer for that specific disc?
I'm curious to see if there is a difference.

Well, that's the certainly odd. The log says there's structural protection on Volume 3 Disc 8? The AnyDVD interface window says there's no structural protection found:

ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.11
Media is a DVD.

Media is region free.

UDF filesystem patched!

Hm, I don't recall the AnyDVD interface saying it found any structural protection. That bit from the log is new to me, but let me check again, just to be sure.

What happens is there are 2 lights on the drive setup: 1.) the light on the drive itself and 2.) the light on the enclosure the drive is in. When reading fails, the light stops flashing on the drive itself but the enclosure light flashes much faster, which is an error indication that reading failed.

I already got a replacement set. Same issue at the same points on the same discs in both sets.

Since that's the case, could it be an authoring/mastering error? It seems unlikely that just those 2 discs would have structural protection and none of the others would. And since it occurs on all PC drives I've tried on two different copies of the set, I have to wonder.

Volume 1 Disc 7 and Volume 3 Disc 8 all won't fully read. I just chose Volume 3 Disc 8 to get the log file from because that disc fails nearly right away whereas Volume 1 Disc 7 gets about 85% into reading before it fails.

Did you try the rip to image function?

1. This should work. If the protection was completely removed and there was no manufacturer defect.

2. Won't work as mentioned if there's a structural protection.

3. Won't work as mentioned if there's a structural protection.

4. I'm not familiar with "Voldemort".

I see that the previous log was from the HL-DT-ST BD-REWH16NS60 1.03.
This info is from ASUS.
Can you try to create a log file from ASUS and Pioneer for that specific disc?
I'm curious to see if there is a difference.

The utility that shall not be named is the precursor to ImgBurn. It does have a V in it, though. LOL

Let me get the logs from the ASUS and Pioneer drives. Be back in a bit with those.

Here are the 2 logs of Volume 3 Disc 8 from the ASUS and the Pioneer:

The interesting thing is the Pioneer log is 1 KB larger than the ASUS one. Don't know if that means anything.

Attachments

• ASUS BW-16D1HT AnyDVD_8.7.1.0_Info_R_DIGIMON_3_DISC_8.ziplog
    104.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Pioneer BD-RW BDR-UD03 1.14-GENERAL AnyDVD_8.7.1.0_Info_D_DIGIMON_3_DISC_8.ziplog
    105.3 KB · Views: 2
Back