• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Disc playback FREEZES/HANGS and SKIPS

I’ve been having this problem for years, although I may be “intuiting” my way to my own solution...?

I’ve got HUNDREDS of home-recorded discs which, on playback, freeze or “hang” at various places, then skip ahead several frames--only to hang and skip some more. I’ve written all these discs at the slowest write speed possible (1x) and tried most of the name-brand blanks (Verbatim, Memorex, Sony, etc.) but nothing has worked.

I’d taken to marking discs that played all the way through flawlessly as “GOOD” but when even those started hanging/skipping recently I swapped out our home entertainment DVD player for another one of the same model and the “GOOD” discs played fine again, although the skippy ones still skipped at all the same places. (Note that commercial discs have NEVER skipped on ANY player.)

I’ve reasoned there are at least five factors involved here: 1) ability of the hardware and software to accurately READ the original media; 2) ability of the software to accurately WRITE what it has read; 3) ability of the DVD-drive laser to accurately burn the data to disc; 4) quality of the discs; 5) ability of the DVD player to accurately READ the disc on playback.

Since replacing our old DVD player with a new one of the same model (a JVC HR-XVC26U) caused the good discs to play fine again, I’m wondering whether there might not be even more “forgiving” players that might be able to play even the skippy ones.

Even more importantly: is it the discs that are likely the biggest bottleneck in this system? I’ve been “getting” that Taiyo Yuden discs seem to be favored by most burner enthusiasts. Are those the hot ticket?

I wouldn’t mind losing a disc or two per hundred but I’m getting like thirty or forty bad burns per box right now, which is as frustrating as it is expensive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, including hardware recommendations.

Thanks a million.

Burning too slow can be worse than burning too fast. With exceptional media (Taiyo Yuden & Verbatim) you can usually burn at rated speeds. Sony is decent. Usually you burn at half the rated speed for other media. I personally wouldn't use Memorex if it was given to me, I've had that much trouble with it in the past (may have improved, probably not). With TY and Verbatim you get coasters because of something you've done or a hardware failure (drive, power), not because of the media.

Last edited:
Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!

I'm frankly shocked that "Burning too slow can be worse than burning too fast" but, since you're a Senior Member of this forum, I'll take you at your word, mm.

Since I've had "some" experience with Verbatim media but NONE with Taiyo Yuden...I guess I'll try TY.

Thanks for the tip on burning at half the rated speed. I'll try that, too.

As far as coasters go: I've got enough to last for ten-thousand lifetimes!

Thanks again, mm!

HKCU

I'm frankly shocked that "Burning too slow can be worse than burning too fast" but, since you're a Senior Member of this forum, I'll take you at your word, mm.

Since I've had "some" experience with Verbatim media but NONE with Taiyo Yuden...I guess I'll try TY.

Thanks for the tip on burning at half the rated speed. I'll try that, too.

As far as coasters go: I've got enough to last for ten-thousand lifetimes!

Thanks again, mm!

HKCU

Putting data on the blank disc is called "burning" because that is what it is. When you burn too slow it can "overcook" the dye and have undesirable results. Some drives are better than others and have media preferences, but modern, newer drives are not made for burning that slow with 8x or 16x media.

Taiyo Yuden (Premium Line) can be obtained from supermediastore.com if you're in the US. Verbatim (NOT the "Life Series") is also very good.

Last edited:
Thanks again, mm...

After your last reply I bought a box of "JVC Taiyo Yuden 16X DVD-R 4.7GB Silver Thermal Lacquer" discs. I guess those will do?

Also, do you know of a good online primer where I could educate myself on the composition and functioning of discs? I've read a few but I've never encountered the caveat about burning too slow, so obviously the ones I've been reading are outdated.

Back