• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question Demux Subtitles (only)

cartman0208

I'm looking for a tool to demux just the SRT subtitles from video files, mostly MKV.
I's kind of working with MKVToolnix, but the output is one .mks and I have to feed it to SubtitleEdit to extract the .srt's from that.
I'd like more of a 1pass approach ... any ideas?

I'm looking for a tool to demux just the SRT subtitles from video files, mostly MKV.
I's kind of working with MKVToolnix, but the output is one .mks and I have to feed it to SubtitleEdit to extract the .srt's from that.
I'd like more of a 1pass approach ... any ideas?

Which MKVToolnix tool are you using? mkvextract will do this (as long as the embedded track is SRT to begin with. it won't convert.).

example:
Code:
mkvextract file.mkv 2:track2.srt

If you prefer a GUI, there are a couple of nice frontends like gMKVExtractGUI.

Last edited:
Try MKVCleaver, or open the video with a program like Aegisub or SubtitleEdit directly.

Just change the ending fom .mks to .srt before starting the export, but I am not sure if Subedit or Aegi will then be able to open it. Sometimes it doesn't work well.
No clue for the player either, I always have them external with my downloads and rarely have to deal with embedded subs (that can't be opened by selecting the video).

Never thought of that... but it works ... somehow ... I have to open each subtitle separately ... like the .mks file :unsure:
Does it need to be gui or is cmd ok?
You need srt or want to convert to another format or decide on the spot when you extract the subtitles?

Whenever I need media tools, I first check out
Code:
https://www.videohelp.com

I know that site, but I thought I ask for suggestions first before trying a lot of tools ;)

There is also this frontend, but I like the other one.
Code:
https://www.videohelp.com/software/MKVExtractGUI-2

I'm getting kind of lazy lately so I prefer a GUI ;)

GUIs do make things easy. I like command line tools because they are easier to script and automate.

I'd kill to find a command line tool that can do some of things the venerable DVD Shrink can do. Currently, I automate it via AutoIt, which isn't ideal.

Ok, one thing I miss ... the force flag does not get exported, like in the filename
I mean, it's recognizable by the SRT file size and manually adjustable, but ... yeah... lazy 🤭

You can also simply add the MKV to the TsMuxer, just select all SRT and set the output to DEMUX.
What do you want to achieve? if you have the SRT, converting to PGS or what?

I'm currently re-converting my 4K Rips with higher quality to MKV and I want to use the subtitles from the current versions so I do not have to reprocess the .sub files with SubtitleEdit OCR again

Well, there's new options in NVEncC, and I want to use those to squeeze the best out of it ;)

As I said, there is the possibility of loading your MKV with SRT into the TSM, just select the SRT and demux it, there is also the possibility of first only outputting the SRT file in the TsM as .ts or .m2ts because the SRT is then converted into PGS because a PGS is better and easier to work with

Back