• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Decrypt .vro format (from digital DVD recorder)

Mizu_Ger

Hi,

I have some DVD-Rs from friends in Japan of some programmes which were recorded off digital satellite. I can't play them on my PC and after some searching on the internet it seems that the disks are protected with "CPRM".

ANYDVD HD does not recognise the disks: "Unknown disc type (empty?), AnyDVD turned off!". Obviously I can't create a logfile because of this.

The folder structure is:

DISK
--> DVD_RTAV
--> VR_MANGR.IFO
--> VR_MOVIE.VRO

Anyone know what I can do here? I can't play the disks on standalone players either. I think CPRM locks the disk to the recorder on which it was burned. Any ideas? I found various CPRM decrypters on the internet, but none seem to be available or work anymore.

Thanks

AnyDVD is designed to decrypt commercial DVDs with a (more or less) normal DVD structure.
What you have there might be burned on a disk - but it's not a DVD by any stretch.
-W

DVD-VR format VRO discs are one of two design layouts. Either burn your DVDs as DVD-PB (or DVD standard) and you'll have a normal DVD. DVD-VR are ALMOST never encrypted since you can't burn from an encrypted source in the first place. The only way you'd have an encrypted file is if you recorded a flagged copy protected show off a cable line. In such a case nothing RF would come up with is going to help as these are unrelated encryption systems.

Thanks guys. I haven't seen this DVD format before so I wasn't sure how to decrypt.

I'm trying a few suggestions now. Hopefully it'll work.

The biggest, if not only, difference is the size of chunks. VRO discs are A: not closed so make sure you close the disc under DVD settings on your recorder, and B: have major overhead for the listing of tiny tiny chunks in A/V. They're intended for light weight in-line editing.
All that said VLC, mPlayer, qq player etc can all play the actual files even if they won't recognise the disc. I believe MPc can even read the actual disc structure too. At least in some flavours .

The sole time you'll have issues is a combination of perfect problems. You have a burner that both recognises and accepts copy # flags, and allows burning them. (Most don't). You have a source such as cable tv or satellite, or a DivX-r disc that uses the copy flags, you have an RW disc from Canada, Ireland, etc that has a pre written table of contents the player recognised for copy flags. Etc etc etc. As I said the actual possibility of a consumer recording encrypted video to a optical disc (not flash or hard drive) with new encryption and then being able to play it back on anything is rather rare.

Last edited:
I got the files decrypted. Just had to rename the new vro to an mpg once written out and I was done.

Back