• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CSS Keys )Unable To Crack)

jesmat

I know this message has been discussed before…

WARNING:
AnyDVD is unable to crack all CSS Keys on this disc!
AnyDVD will guess the correct CSS Key, but it is possible,
that one or more titles on this disc will not play correctly.
You can check the AnyDVD CSS key archive from the AnyDVD
settings window.
NOTE:
To avoid this message in the future, you should set your drive
region code to match the region of this disc.

But I’m curious why this affects newer versions of AnyDVD but not the older versions released by Slysoft.

My PC has one Blu-ray recorder and two hard drives, both able to boot independently to Windows 10. One of the hard drives has AnyDVD version 7370 from 2013 and the other has the current version of AnyDVD. The Blu-ray recorder has never had it’s region assigned and both versions of AnyDVD have region 2 as the ‘default region’ in the settings dropdown.

I have tried playing two region 1 DVDs. Version 7370 had no problem cracking all the CSS Keys but the current version was not able to crack all the keys. Why would the latest version of AnyDVD fail to crack all the keys but the 8 year old version 7370 succeed?

The version is irrelevant to a degree, the only thing that matters is if the disc is encrypted with css or not. Your drive's age is irrelevant or it's model, what matters is if the drive region is properly set. Depending on if the region is set, that is the sole factor that decides which decryption method anydvd needs to use. Brute force or the right approach.

While dvd encryption is handled by new Anydvd versions, and new versions probably mean changes to the css related algorithms, it's the drive region that matters most. Brute force doesn't always work which then triggers that message. And even with the region set, it can still fail of the drive region doesn't match the disc css region. There's just less chance it'll fail then.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

But when all other factors are the same - same PC, same DVD drive (that does not have region set), same DVD discs tested - why does the older version of AnyDVD crack the CSS codes without a problem but the new version not? The only different factor is AnyDVD itself. It appears that the newer version cannot crack CSS codes that the older version can.

That's highly unlikely, and in such an event you need to provide Anydvd logfile's so the possible problem can be found and fixed.

Or, possibly older versions of AnyDVD silently used brute force if the drive’s region code was not set.

they all do, including new versions. DVD CSS is always handled by anydvd version, regardless of the actual version itself.

Thank you for the replies. I've have been using 7.3.7.0 since 2013 without it ever failing to crack any CSS Keys very quickly. It's only the new version that does not crack some CSS keys on a couple of discs so far tested despite it now being on the same PC setup with the same BD/DVD recorder. I deleted the CSS keys already saved in the CSS log for both versions of AnyDVD and inserted a DVD. 7.3.7.0 cracked the CSS Keys within a few short seconds but 8.5.8.0 could not crack one of the keys.

The log files are attached.

When I copy the CSS Key found by 7.3.7.0 into 8.5.8.0 it then works fine. But i may not have easy access to the drive with 7.3.7.0 much longer so need to ensure the newer version of AnyDVD performs the same.

UPDATE: Which begs the question, can I install 7.3.7.0 and 8.5.8.0 on the same desktop and use them independently of each other without any conflicts? Or will installing one version automatically replace the other?

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.3.7.0_Info_E_WALK_ZOMBIE_BODY_SNATCHER.ziplog
    120.1 KB · Views: 2
  • AnyDVD_8.5.8.0_Info_D_WALK_ZOMBIE_BODY_SNATCHER.ziplog
    137.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
PIONEER BD-RWBDR-S12 1.00
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)
Current profile: DVD-ROM

There's your most likely problem. You need to set your drive hardware region. An unset drive region will force a bruteforce method on DVD css regardless of the anydvd version.

There's your most likely problem. You need to set your drive hardware region. An unset drive region will force a bruteforce method on DVD css regardless of the anydvd version.
But that's the same with both versions of AnyDVD. Why would this cause a problem for 8.5.8.0 but not for 7.3.7.0.? I have had AnyDVD since 2005 and never set the drive and it has never caused a problem up to and including 7.3.7.0.

Attached are three more pairs of logfiles where 7.3.7.0. cracks the CSS Keys easily (even though the drive region is not set) but 8.5.8.0 does not. The failure rate of 8.5.8.0. is about 1 in 4 DVDs. I can't see how not assigning a region to the player is the problem when both versions of AnyDVD are using the same player.

Can you tell from the logs why 7.3.7.0 works but 8.5.8.0 does not work when used on the same PC with the same BD/DVD player and same DVD discs?

Thanks.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.3.7.0_Info_E_SMASH_AND_GRAB.ziplog
    81.1 KB · Views: 2
  • AnyDVD_8.5.8.0_Info_D_SMASH_AND_GRAB.ziplog
    88.3 KB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_7.3.7.0_Info_E_The Missing Million.ziplog
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_8.5.8.0_Info_D_The Missing Million.ziplog
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_7.3.7.0_Info_E_Q Planes.ziplog
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_8.5.8.0_Info_D_Q Planes.ziplog
    92.1 KB · Views: 0
No i can't i'm not a dev, as i said maybe something changed in the css decryption algorithm. CSS encryption gets more and more complicated too, which means anydvd needs to adapt, which means things get more complicated and there's more changes of things "breaking". If you want to minimize the chance of css decryption failures, and allow anydvd to do its job the right way (not bruteforce cracking thing), you need to set that drive region. It's that simple.

can I install 7.3.7.0 and 8.5.8.0 on the same desktop and use them independently of each other without any conflicts?
If you don't have the old installer anymore, you could simply copy the old AnyDVD to your current drive.
If you do, then make sure not to install the old version into the same folder as the current version.

If the old version is from Slysoft (I think so), you also have to copy or activate your old licence.

Not gonna work. While the program installation folders would be different, that anydvd.sys driver isn't. It's shared. The old driver would simply be replaced by the new one from the more recent version, and it would break the old version stall.

But that's the same with both versions of AnyDVD. Why would this cause a problem for 8.5.8.0 but not for 7.3.7.0.? I have had AnyDVD since 2005 and never set the drive and it has never caused a problem up to and including 7.3.7.0.

Attached are three more pairs of logfiles where 7.3.7.0. cracks the CSS Keys easily (even though the drive region is not set) but 8.5.8.0 does not. The failure rate of 8.5.8.0. is about 1 in 4 DVDs. I can't see how not assigning a region to the player is the problem when both versions of AnyDVD are using the same player.

Can you tell from the logs why 7.3.7.0 works but 8.5.8.0 does not work when used on the same PC with the same BD/DVD player and same DVD discs?

Thanks.
YOU NEED TO SET YOUR HARDWARE REGION. That's it. If you have discs from other regions AnyDVD will take care or that after setting your region.

But I’m curious why this affects newer versions of AnyDVD but not the older versions released by Slysoft.
Newer versions correctly remove screenpass/arccos/whatever its is named today *before* removing CSS. Older versions could run into read errors while brute forcing, which was very bad. As a result, a title set almost completely wiped could only contain a few sectors. Too few for a brute force attack, and you see the warning.
Ignore it, or set your drive region code as coopervid said.

Newer versions correctly remove screenpass/arccos/whatever its is named today *before* removing CSS. Older versions could run into read errors while brute forcing, which was very bad. As a result, a title set almost completely wiped could only contain a few sectors. Too few for a brute force attack, and you see the warning.
Ignore it, or set your drive region code as coopervid said.

In other words (as multiply advised), set it and forget it.

Back