• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Create BD format DVD5/9 from DVDs or any video file?

earthasa

This isn't a question dealing with hi-definition, actually :) -- but it seemed like this subforum would be most likely to hold the answer.

But given my understanding that it is possible to store BD-ROM format video structures on DVD5s and 9s, and that they are at least playable on a computer.. and likely on standalone players... and my understanding that the blu-ray format supports NTSC/PAL resolutions as well as hi-definition ones,... and supports the AVC codec, which is vastly superior/more efficient than the mpeg2 on standard DVDs,

I would like to switch to making standard DVD copies on BD-ROM formatted DVD5s when re-encoding is required (DL to SL), as well as for DVDs I regularly make of television programming recorded in Vista Media Center (which I can record at the highest bitrate and maximize disc playback quality).

Does anyone know if I am correct that this is possible at least in theory, and does anyone know how to go about doing it?

Last edited:
I would like to switch to making standard DVD copies on BD...
Yes, this can be done. Probably lots of ways to do it, but I rip my DVD to a single VOB file, demux and re-encode using x264, then make a BD structure using tsMuxeR. Burn with ImgBurn as UDF 2.5. Plays on most BD players, and all PCs that have a DVD drive (no BD player or burner needed).

Yes, this can be done. Probably lots of ways to do it, but I rip my DVD to a single VOB file, demux and re-encode using x264, then make a BD structure using tsMuxeR. Burn with ImgBurn as UDF 2.5. Plays on most BD players, and all PCs that have a DVD drive (no BD player or burner needed).

Funny, I ripped all my DVD's to a single VOB, & just play them w/ VLC Lan player

ocgw

peace

Thanks, Duke! Great news... I will try this..

ocgw, well, the point is I want to burn them to new discs, not leave them on the HD... this way I should be able to burn higher quality discs when I shrink DVD9s to 5s, or for recorded TV longer than 70 minutes or so, which is about what will fit without reencoding from "best" quality in Windows Media Center.. will probably allow me to record long running recorded TV that WMC won't allow to fit to a DVD (even DVD9s for long events recorded and stuff.)

I suppose this is probably possible with Nero, too. I have Nero 7.. haven't installed it since last time I re-installed Windows though, but I will play with this.. might be simpler.

Now, I don't have a BD drive or player, so any suggestions on gettings the right codecs installed so I can play these discs in WMC would be useful.. ideally without making a major purchase :)

Thanks all.
peace :)

Last edited:
I want to burn them to new discs, not leave them on the HD... this way I should be able to burn higher quality discs when I shrink DVD9s to 5s
Yup, that's one good reason.

You don't need a "BD drive or player" as I said, but I don't know anything about WMC i.e. whether it will use the .m2ts files that a BD-formatted DVD disc uses as its storage method (these files can have video, multiple audio, multiple subtitles if you want).

Thanks, Duke! Great news... I will try this..

ocgw, well, the point is I want to burn them to new discs, not leave them on the HD... this way I should be able to burn higher quality discs when I shrink DVD9s to 5s, or for recorded TV longer than 40 minutes or so, which is about what will fit without reencoding from "best" quality in Windows Media Center.. will probably allow me to record long running recorded TV that WMC won't allow to fit to a DVD (even DVD9s for long events recorded and stuff.)

I suppose this is probably possible with Nero, too. I have Nero 7.. haven't installed it since last time I re-installed Windows though, but I will play with this.. might be simpler.

Now, I don't have a BD drive or player, so any suggestions on gettings the right codecs installed so I can play these discs in WMC would be useful.. ideally without making a major purchase :)

Thanks all.
peace :)

Give DVD Rebuilder a shot (if it will still work w/ are big VOBs)

ocgw

peace

Give DVD Rebuilder a shot
But DVD-RB does not make BD-format disks.

@earthasa if you make BD-format DVD-5/9 with x264 and tsMuxeR, then you need a 264 decoder on your PC. I think ffdshow will do it (I use cheap but payware CoreAVC).

You don't need a "BD drive or player" as I said, but I don't know anything about WMC i.e. whether it will use the .m2ts files that a BD-formatted DVD disc uses as its storage method (these files can have video, multiple audio, multiple subtitles if you want).

I wasn't sure if you were referring to the drive when you said player before... without player software, how can the computer know what to do with a BD movie?

I do have AVC codecs installed in the system, as I can play mp4 files with AVC video. (I have the "Vista Codecs" package installed.. try to keep it as simple as possible with codecs from one source).

I would expect to require a program like PowerDVD Ultra/WinDVD/TotalMedia Theatre... I just did some research, and it looks like TMT is the only one that integrates, out of the box, with Windows Media Center... at least as of last summer... and currently the TMT site is the only of those program's sites that seems to advertise that feature.

DukeOfUrl said:
@earthasa if you make BD-format DVD-5/9 with x264 and tsMuxeR, then you need a 264 decoder on your PC. I think ffdshow will do it (I use cheap but payware CoreAVC).

So do you just navigate to the ts (or whatever) file on the disc and play it directly, rather than using blu ray player software?

Not quite as elegant, but that could work.. and the discs would still be playable on standalone blu ray players.

I wish there was a program that converted menus, multiple titles, etc, in just a few clicks.. I can't find any information that this is presently possible (from DVD source as I'm discussing here). Maybe Slysoft can consider doing this in their upcoming "CloneBD" product.

Also one thing to be wary of with the process we're discussing is that apparently the blu ray spec does not support SD progressive video -- only SD interlaced video.. can't imagine why.. saw some discussion on the subject that seemed to indicate there are examples of professionally produced SD blu ray video that is progressive, but encoded in (what sounds to me as) an odd way.. the overall stream is marked as interlaced, and then each frame is overridden somehow to be progressive (source - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1116179#post1116179). Ideally the discs I create will be within spec so they will play with all players.. future-proof/friend-and-neighbor friendly.

Thanks all.. still open to suggestions for how to do this simply/quickly/within specs!

- earthasa

Back