• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Connecting SATA Drives To SAS Controller

mike_r

According to what I've read:

http://www.techspot.com/review/129-asus-p6t-deluxe/page2.html
There are another two onboard SATA ports present that are connected to a Marvell 88SE6320 controller. These are actually SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) ports, which is a workstation-level storage solution. SAS is faster than traditional SATA, with server-level data reliability. Furthermore, SAS is backward-compatible with SATA devices, making onboard SAS ports both flexible and future proof.

imageview.php

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-p6t-deluxe-review-x58-motherboard/8
See the orange connectors? That's two channel SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) RAID from the Marvell 88E6320-TFJ2 controller, next to the six SATA ports, positioned properly and NOT blocking any graphics cards. Also back from the dead, an IDE connector. Great stuff.

So it would seem that I can connect my DVD & BD to the SAS and have it working right ? I was sure that I read something here in the forum advising against this, but I can't find it.

Does anyone have any (good or bad) experiences here ?

So it would seem that I can connect my DVD & BD to the SAS and have it working right ?

Those ports are mostly intended for SAS hard drives. I'm not aware of any current optical drives that could take advantage of them (that is, most optical drives aren't fast enough).

Anyway, they should work, in theory, but I can't guarantee that they will (possible driver issues when using Anydvd).

Last edited:
So at least on my P6T deluxe mainboard, the orange SAS connectors really are backward compatible to SATA. There is no speed gain as the bottleneck is the SATA-I optical drives themselves. So far I've played and ripped BDs with no negative effects.

Back