• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Confirmation on Basic ripping scenario sequencing

JessieSims

I have a basic question about ripping my DVD & BluRay collection to a lossless digital copy, solely to donate 5 bins of discs and free up physical space in my apartment. I tried to click on several links to review answers, but neither Chrome nor Edge would open them. Just a white "this site can't be reached" page. I do apologize for this, but want to ensure the product works for my needs before dropping $.

History - I used MakeMKV on about 100 DVD and a few BD discs so far, but it's too much work. Subtitles are sometimes missing, a couple episodes won't copy, too many versions to find the right one, etc. So I thought I'll just rip the image of the disc into an ISO, deal with the FBI warnings and previews, and maybe someday clean them up some further and remove these bloatware items.

My searching on the forums has led me to assume the following actions will work for me:
1. Download AnyDVD HD to remove encryption
2. Use CloneBD or CloneDVD to actually rip the now unencrypted disc to a lossless format. FWIW, I think I'd like an ISO
3. I now have a ripped movie that I can play with some video players like VLC
4. If I want to watch the movie on my 2023 SmartTV, I can hook my 18TB external hard drive up to my laptop, connect my laptop to my TV via HDMI, and share my laptop screen to the TV

Can I use CloneBD/DVD in the future on my lossless file to further clean up the movie bloatware? Or will I need my physical disc for that?
Is the above sequence the method that will work for my intent?

Thanks everyone. I am using Wind10 Pro and haven't had any issues with my 10 year old BluRay/DVD disc drive on reading/ripping with MakeMKV.

I have a basic question about ripping my DVD & BluRay collection to a lossless digital copy, solely to donate 5 bins of discs and free up physical space in my apartment. I tried to click on several links to review answers, but neither Chrome nor Edge would open them. Just a white "this site can't be reached" page. I do apologize for this, but want to ensure the product works for my needs before dropping $.

History - I used MakeMKV on about 100 DVD and a few BD discs so far, but it's too much work. Subtitles are sometimes missing, a couple episodes won't copy, too many versions to find the right one, etc. So I thought I'll just rip the image of the disc into an ISO, deal with the FBI warnings and previews, and maybe someday clean them up some further and remove these bloatware items.

My searching on the forums has led me to assume the following actions will work for me:
1. Download AnyDVD HD to remove encryption
2. Use CloneBD or CloneDVD to actually rip the now unencrypted disc to a lossless format. FWIW, I think I'd like an ISO
3. I now have a ripped movie that I can play with some video players like VLC
4. If I want to watch the movie on my 2023 SmartTV, I can hook my 18TB external hard drive up to my laptop, connect my laptop to my TV via HDMI, and share my laptop screen to the TV

Can I use CloneBD/DVD in the future on my lossless file to further clean up the movie bloatware? Or will I need my physical disc for that?
Is the above sequence the method that will work for my intent?

Thanks everyone. I am using Wind10 Pro and haven't had any issues with my 10 year old BluRay/DVD disc drive on reading/ripping with MakeMKV.
I would say that the ISO should be enough, if I'm wrong, please let one of the other members of the forum correct me

ISO would be the way to go if you want to retain the menus and extras on the discs if any. CloneDVD for DVDs, CloneBD for Blurays.

If only interested in a "movie only" format MKVs is one possible format to go with.

CloneBD can do that as an option. CloneDVD can't do that directly, you'd need other software to process the output. CloneDVDMobile is one that will do it.

Processing DVDs requires a multi-stage process to go to MKV if you don't use CloneDVDMoble in my admittedly limited experience.

One thing to consider...don't use MakeMKV on a physical disc. I'd suggest you rip to your HD first. That way you know the disc is free from errors.

Ooops! I forgot about protection schemes, on both DVDs and Blurays. Ripping your discs to your HD also removes those buggers, unless you choose to retain them when ripping.

Last edited:
Be aware for any structurally protected DVD's, it is not recommended to rip to ISO as the contents may be unplayable. DVD's are recommended to rip to disk. As for BD, I read somewhere on these forums ISO is recommended over ripping to disk, but I don't know why. I rarely rip BD's.

Be aware for any structurally protected DVD's, it is not recommended to rip to ISO as the contents may be unplayable. DVD's are recommended to rip to disk.
This is correct if you do that with AnyDVD direct. But if you use AnyDVD to decrypt and CloneDVD to rip and create the ISO that should no longer be the case.

I'm not that familiar with CloneDVD, but I still have to question if that would work. I've seen Disney structurally protected DVD's like My Neighbor Totoro that when AnyDVD decrypted to ISO, it was entirely unusable for playing, even when mounted virtually. So, it would seem to me the ISO AnyDVD created would not be viable for CloneDVD. But, I suppose CloneDVD could be able to "repair" AnyDVD's ISO.

CloneDVD creates an ISO of a DVD, even one with structural protections, by first ripping to files/folders in a temp directory and then using those files/folders to create the ISO. Ripping to files/folders defeats the structural protections.

It's a two-step process.

Back