• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneDVD2 vs DVDShrink

Go to the ELby site for the manual on how to use CloneDVD. They are the developers, Slysoft just markets and sells it.
http://www.elby.ch/products/clone_dvd/index.html
Click "Manual" on the left.
I think there are a few Clone knockers here that under rate CloneDVD. It is a terrific, easy and very fast software that I use for 90% of my burns. Shrink is very good too, especially for free, but it can be a bit slow. Up to 80% compression you can't tell the difference in PQ. For more than that I use DVDRebuilder with HCenq, an encoder that is far superior to both. However, it is at the cost of speed, it takes a couple hrs. with Rebuilder/HC. It would take 4 hrs. or more with a P3 system.

Shrink is very good too, especially for free, but it can be a bit slow.

Very slow for the quality it can produce, and it doesn't contain its own burning engine (Clonedvd does) . . .

For more than that I use DVDRebuilder with HCenq, an encoder that is far superior to both.

Yep. And on really fast systems the difference spent transcoding with Shrink vs encoding with Dvd Rebuilder is not incredibly significant, which is why I find Shrink to be completely useless.

Shrink

1) Can't burn without relying on other programs

2) Doesn't produce the best quality output (granted, Clonedvd's compressed output is worse)

3) Can't support structural protections with Anydvd running in the background

4) Can't retain menus over split discs (which is actually useful if you're going to split a dvd containing a t.v. series)

I would have trouble giving up Clonedvd. I don't use Shrink at all.

Shrink

1) Can't burn without relying on other programs

2) Doesn't produce the best quality output (granted, Clonedvd's compressed output is worse)

3) Can't support structural protections with Anydvd running in the background

4) Can't retain menus over split discs (which is actually useful if you're going to split a dvd containing a t.v. series)

5) Can't retain menus when removing titles (which is actually useful if you just want the movie, but want to keep chapter/audio selection menu)

so whats missing out of clonedvd2 is a better conpression engine? or it should have an "advance" option to click to modify specific title set to adjust conpression levels. for instance special features or deleted scenes etc etc.

here is a simple question

if doing a backup to dvd5 with ALL options menus chapt subs/audio which one produces a better visable quality ? i have a 50" pioneer elite plasma and it helps as i cannot notice much degradtion compared to my panasonic plasma but better quality is always better. note i know about dvd9 i just want to see which one does a better job with my method choice?

i meant between clonedvd2 and dvd shrink? i dont have much power from my cpu so it would take hrs with dvd revbuilt would it not? i have 1gb ram 3.20 ghz cpu hyper threading edition 7200 rpm win xp sp3 ulta dma 2 enabled

i meant between clonedvd2 and dvd shrink?

Shrink

i dont have much power from my cpu so it would take hrs with dvd revbuilt would it not?

I don't know. I haven't had any system under 2gb of ram in years. And "3.2" doesn't carry a lot of meaning. If I were you, I'd just try using HC encoder. If it takes too long, it takes too long . . .

Thanks i'll try dvdrebuilter with hc encoder? just one thing to say, if i needed more ram it would be if i was muti tasking but if im just running anydvd and clonedvd i dont think it would make a diffrence between 1gb or 4gb ..?

Thanks i'll try dvdrebuilter with hc encoder? just one thing to say, if i needed more ram it would be if i was muti tasking but if im just running anydvd and clonedvd i dont think it would make a diffrence between 1gb or 4gb ..?

It depends on the OS you use, and if the programs make use of a lot of ram. For Clonedvd, it won't matter that much. For games and other applications, ram does matter.

just as i thought since clonedvd isnt built or coded to be enhanced by hyper threading or more "cores" or threads or ram then it doesnt benefit from the extra ram memory or cores/threds but does benefit overall better performance with less bottle neck and more souped up pc rig

It depends on the OS you use, and if the programs make use of a lot of ram. For Clonedvd, it won't matter that much. For games and other applications, ram does matter.

i have 1gb ram 3.20 ghz cpu hyper threading edition 7200 rpm win xp sp3 ulta dma 2 enabled

While your system is a little outdated technology wise it is still a very capable system.

And "3.2" doesn't carry a lot of meaning.

No, but to me "3.2 Hyperthreading" means it's probably a P4 Prescott CPU. I've got 3 machines built on that platform using the ASUS P4P-800E mobo; and while not "new" by any stretch, they are still VERY fast using XP-Pro with 2g RAM. Using Shrink, I can do a "normal" Main Movie pretty much at drive I/O speeds - so the CPU isn't a bottleneck.

And I agree.... Nero Recode is just a repackaged DVDShrink with a couple features missing and a couple bugs added. :D Just install the Nero Burning Rom only and use DVD Shrink not Nero Recode. The rest of the Nero Suite is bloatware. The Nero DVD Player sortware is OK.... seems like a knockoff of PowerDVD.

-W

i/o speeds and file system two diffrent methods right? i figured if pc/cpu usuage was fast enough then dvd drive would eventually be the bottle neck....

I have 2 SATA hard drives in each machine. If I shrink from one HD to the other HD then yes, my CPU is the bottleneck.
If I'm shrinking directly from the DVD via my IDE optical drive then the read speed of the drive is more the issue - the CPU can keep up fine.

-W

Back