• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Clone Blu Ray Software

njr

Hi
Apologies for posting this in the AnyDVD-HD Section.

I am just wondering what the hold up is in slysoft making a Clone DVD for BLu Ray - so you can compress a 35Gb movie to a 25Gb disk.

I would of thought that getting the Blu Ray Disk to the Hard Drive was the hard / illegal bit.

Does anyone know if anyone is working on such software ?

With thanks

We are

Hi
Apologies for posting this in the AnyDVD-HD Section.

I am just wondering what the hold up is in slysoft making a Clone DVD for BLu Ray - so you can compress a 35Gb movie to a 25Gb disk.

I would of thought that getting the Blu Ray Disk to the Hard Drive was the hard / illegal bit.

Does anyone know if anyone is working on such software ?

With thanks

Yes, we are working on such software. In the meantime:

There is a full disc backup method (provided the BD source fits onto a
BD-R/RE):

Download and install ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com - it's a free tool).

Activate AnyDVD HD (the fox is red). Then insert a BD and let it scan with
AnyDVD HD.

Then open ImgBurn. Select read mode to "create image on hard drive". ImgBurn will create an image of the BD on the hard drive (in most cases). Then insert a blank disc. Then select the write mode "write image to blank disc".

To fit to a 25GB blank, see this:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=13846&highlight=shrink+BluRay

CloneBD ??

Rip to folder with AnyDVD and you can use BD Rebuilder to compress to BD25, BD9, or BD5. It doesn't allow you to edit out stuff but it will get you to a smaller disc size and the quality will still be decent. Remember to burn it back as a UDF v2.50 format and all should be good in the World.

So when is CloneBD projected to arrive to the market? In the next two minutes? LOL

It's ready when it's ready

A Clone BD product will be out this year and that is the best we can do for that at the moment, which is why we offer the alternative procedure for those who actually want a disc backup.

Rip to folder with AnyDVD and you can use BD Rebuilder to compress to BD25, BD9, or BD5

Compressing to BD9 or BD5 doesn't retain the true 1080p resolution either. Another words might as well buy the standard DVD if you are going to do that.

Upscale to 1080p yes retain the true resolution no. There is a big difference.

I disagree. You are not backing up to DVD9 or DVD5, you are backing up to BD9 or BD5 using the Blu Ray structure and the advanced video codecs.

If done right, you can compress a movie only backup to BR9 with minimal loss of quality on a 53 inch TV.

I have yet to come across a film that doesn't look a lot worse keeping it at 1080p and dropping the bitrate to allow it to fit onto a BD9 disc, you'd also have to reduce the audio down to AC3 to be able to keep any kind of halfway decent video bitrate

Yes you need to convert audio to AC3...BD Rebuilder can do this, but encodes are long time. Can look good though.

CloneBD could be good, but it would need to be 2 pass for sure, but realistically, if you are backing up stuff, movie only is really the way to go. How many movies now are bigger than 25 gig anyway...with just one audio stream...and if too big, down convert to ac3. Should fit.

Could be a good product....single layer BD-r are getting cheaper

A Clone BD product will be out this year and that is the best we can do for that at the moment, which is why we offer the alternative procedure for those who actually want a disc backup.

Alright Frank looking foward to it. :rock: :)

What? It certainly can!

I disagree. You are not backing up to DVD9 or DVD5, you are backing up to BD9 or BD5 using the Blu Ray structure and the advanced video codecs.

If done right, you can compress a movie only backup to BR9 with minimal loss of quality on a 53 inch TV.

Regardless of the codecs you use whenever compression is involved it will reduce quality. Thought may not be noticeable but fact remain it will degrade the video.

Compression can't take out space out from anywhere except video, in other words audio and subtitle can't be compressed.

Who said anything about "upscale"? You had said:

Compressing to BD9 or BD5 doesn't retain the true 1080p resolution either. Another words might as well buy the standard DVD if you are going to do that.
To say "you might as well buy the standard DVD if you are going to do that" is just ridiculous. In fact, I would defy anybody to tell the difference between an original Blu-ray disc movie, properly re-encoded to (again) 1080p on BD9 (or even BD5), in a blind comparison, on my 10' 1080p projection system.

But Good Grief a standard resolution DVD does not compare favorably in any way to an x264 re-encoded 1080p video.

Last edited:
Well I can tell the difference easy on a 24" monitor, 52" 1080p LCD and my friends 42" 720p plasma. Never tied a large projection screen though. My friend likes doing the BD9 backup so checked several of his and several of mine. I will say that you do keep more detail than an SD DVD though it had other artifact issues the SD did not. However it in no way looked as good as the original.

This is just my opinion of course, like I said maybe it would be different on your system. If it was actually possible I would take you up on your bet :)

Well I can tell the difference easy on a 24" monitor, 52" 1080p LCD and my friends 42" 720p plasma. Never tied a large projection screen though. My friend likes doing the BD9 backup so checked several of his and several of mine. I will say that you do keep more detail than an SD DVD though it had other artifact issues the SD did not. However it in no way looked as good as the original.

This is just my opinion of course, like I said maybe it would be different on your system. If it was actually possible I would take you up on your bet :)

I agree, I finally watched a few friends versions of slim downed movies. There is a noticeable difference in quality. While most people find this acceptable or even can not tell, I can. I know others will say no way, but I compare it to this. Art work, I can not tell a damn good one, from a bad one, from a fake one. I can however tell the difference in sound and video quality. In the end, it all comes down to what makes each of us happy. I could never settle on slimming down the movie, Its just who I am. I payed for quality, and I will keep it... Others its just fine...

I however, look forward to the day clone-BD comes out, I will use it for sure!

I also agree, unless the original BD is of very poor quality (see 7th Voyage of Sinbad) then I can pretty much always see the difference. If you just show the shrunk version then most people will just go 'oh that looks nice' but then show the original and most people I know will notice the difference even though it can be subtle

Surprised that you can see any difference on a 24" screen. I can certainly see that on my 120" 1080p front projector screen (and on my 50" 1080i lcd, which shows upscaled content surprisingly well). BD9 is pretty good on the 50", but the 120" really shows what is mssing compared to the original BD.

Is the plan with Clone BD to allow something like:
- Select Main Video Stream
- Select Prefered Audio Stream (and if desired transcode to LPCM)
- Select Forced Subs
- Mux to desired Container (MT2, MKV, etc) or Disc Format (Blu-ray)

I'd dearly like a simple prog to be able to take the above content from my HD-DVD & Blu-ray disks to a single file that I can manage, play and stream around the home NW including to a PS/3 (hence the LPCM Audio). I've no desire to down res the Video or Audio in this process.

Thanks
Nathan

I'd dearly like a simple prog to be able to take the above content from my HD-DVD & Blu-ray disks to a single file that I can manage, play and stream around the home NW including to a PS/3 (hence the LPCM Audio). I've no desire to down res the Video or Audio in this process.

This has existed for sometime already. See my sig.

Back