• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Cheap BD-R DL??!!

slamscaper945

I hope it's alright to post this here, but you just have to check this out http://smartimports.net/product.php?printable=Y&productid=16279&cat=262&page=1

Great price, no? I don't like the idea of having these shipped to the US from so far away (coming from Japan), but I read that it's insured and they also ship very promptly. In the end it would be much cheaper than buying BD-R DL's locally as they are crazy expensive here in the US.

Anyone have any experiences with this company? I read a few reviews over at Resellerratings.com posted by customers from the US and they were all very good. Looks too good to be true. I'd love to be able to get these at this price. Not sure if they'd work in my LG burner though, but I'd think that they would.

This media would make it very easy to back up just about ANY blu-ray movie using Anydvd's "rip to image" function and then burning it strait to disc. No messing around using TsRemux, TSSplitter, BDedit, etc...

Last edited:
I buy mine on ebay from Japan, costs me $116 plus carriage for 10 Sony DL BD-R printables, and they work fine in my PS3. Have heard people having problems with TDK DL discs (SL are fine as I've tried them myself)

I figured as much...... I would like to try one to see if my LG GGW-H20LK likes this media or not before I'd spend the dough on five of them.

This is the cheapest I've seen BD-R DL media by far. Newegg is charging $37 for a single Sony BD-R DL blank (before shipping charges), which is just insane. $116 is a great price for 10 blanks! Anyone else know where to find this media cheap?

Edit: Oops, should of posted this in hardware talk. Sorry mods.

Last edited:
You may want to hold off buying if you can.

I have heard a rumor that one of the big names in blank media production is building a new factory mainly for 25gb and 50gb disks for long term use in the future with the plant in operation sometime in 2009.

I am sure they have a relationship with Sony and Blu-ray and that Blu-ray blank media size 25gb and 50gb is here to stay or they would have not invested in building a new factory.

And really, the only time you should need a blank dual layer 50gb disk if you make a 1 to 1 backup of the source disk. Any editing and downsizing and you should be able to fit the hi def material 90% of the time, on a single layer 25gb blank disk.

:agree:

You may want to hold off buying if you can.
And really, the only time you should need a blank dual layer 50gb disk if you make a 1 to 1 backup of the source disk. Any editing and downsizing and you should be able to fit the hi def material 90% of the time, on a single layer 25gb blank disk.

Well, the thing is I don't want to spend a lot of time using the various tools available to isolate or re-encode the main movie from a blu-ray disc to fit my needs. There are no single programs available yet that will transcode a DL blu-ray movie (almost all new blu-ray movies are DL) to a smaller size to fit on a SL BD-R. Multiple programs are needed to accomplish this and the ones available are not really perfected so to speak.

Until we have a better tool to transcode blu-ray movies (CloneBD maybe), the easiest way to make a backup is to rip it strait to an image with Anydvd, then burn it to a BD-R DL disc. This will not always be the case I'm sure, but for now it's the only easy solution. This is the reason I want cheap DL media now.

I've already seen a few high-profile movies that are too big to fit on a 25 GB BD-R even after the main movie is isolated along with only the DD audio stream.

Last edited:
well I can get memorix Blu Ray SL 25gig blanks a 15 pack for 59.95 at Frys electronics and with one program I can get 8 out of 10 blu rays down to below 23gigs, you just need to know what to cut out.

Well, the first two blu-ray movies I've backed up (Iron Man and Hulk) use seamless branching techniques which I hate. I don't want to mess around merging all these .m2ts files and suchlike. Just not worth it to me. Like I said I really want one solution for transcoding and burning the main movie on a blu-ray disc. It's not that I can't do it manually, I just don't want to. It already takes long enough just to rip it to my hdd.

Last edited:
Well, the first two blu-ray movies I've backed up (Iron Man and Hulk) use seamless branching techniques which I hate. I don't want to mess around merging all these .m2ts files and suchlike. Just not worth it to me. Like I said I really want one solution for transcoding and burning the main movie on a blu-ray disc. It's not that I can't do it manually, I just don't want to. It already takes long enough just to rip it to my hdd.

I'm with you I don't want to mess around with the disc. I've also seen problems with stripping it down and you sometimes have to lose the HD audio. I personally want to keep all the menu's etc. That's probably why the threads called 'Cheap BD-R DL?' and not 'How do I shrink to fit SL BD-R' because th OP doesn't want to lose anything off the disc.
DL media is rapidly dropping in price now and for me works out at under half the price it would cost to replace the original disc so I have no problems using DL media and keeping the disc intact

Last edited:
fry's electronics do have sale sometimes panasonic bd-r DL for $19.99

thxkid is right

after u strip all the unnecessary audio and subty's and different languages most of the movies will /are under 23gb

but there's a catch the softy (tsmuxer) is not a friendly with true-hd yet ,such situations iam keeping another track

it works great

fry's electronics do have sale sometimes panasonic bd-r DL for $19.99

thxkid is right

after u strip all the unnecessary audio and subty's and different languages most of the movies will /are under 23gb

but there's a catch the softy (tsmuxer) is not a friendly with true-hd yet ,such situations iam keeping another track

it works great

I've noticed that tsmuxer will demux DTS-HD audio from blu ray discs fine (tested it on the Incredible Hulk). HD audio really isn't that important to me right now. My 6.1 home theater setup is nice for me, but it's nothing special. My receiver only supports up to DD-EX and DTS 96/24 so I can't even make use of the newer HD audio streams.

Even though the plain old DD and DTS streams sound excellent to me now, I plan to purchase a new receiver that supports HD audio in the near future. I'm buying a lot of blu-ray movies now that I have a BD burner and a PS3 so I think a new receiver is justified. Looking forward to hearing HD audio in all it's glory.

cool
hopefully
smartlabs fix with issue in upcoming updates
:rock:

I'm with you I don't want to mess around with the disc. I've also seen problems with stripping it down and you sometimes have to lose the HD audio. I personally want to keep all the menu's etc. /QUOTE]

Add me in there too except for me it's just to complicated to get the actual movie out of the rip. I could probably figure it out if I stuck with it and studied all the free tips about it. But for now with my age and advancing senility I just can't figure it out. :bang:

With 1 TB Hard drives on Newegg going for $90 + free shipping it's doesn't justify paying $10-$25 for blank media to make backups. I know these huge drives may not be dependable but so far I've had no problems and one can store 20+ BR rips on one of them. I loan my DVD's to my kids for their kids and the rule for BR is "you scratch it, you buy it".

BTW Newegg has a BR burner for $159.99 + free shipping (special sale) if you're interested.

I don't find it complicated at all, to back up onto a DL disc is very easy, most discs come with the correct folder structure so you just need AnyDVD HD running in the background, rip to image and then burn the image in Imgburn back to disc and to make a movie only disc just use clown bd.
DL discs cost me around £7.5 and SL around £2.44 (both types are printable from Japan)

I don't find it complicated at all, to back up onto a DL disc is very easy, most discs come with the correct folder structure so you just need AnyDVD HD running in the background, rip to image and then burn the image in Imgburn back to disc and to make a movie only disc just use clown bd.
DL discs cost me around £7.5 and SL around £2.44 (both types are printable from Japan)

That's a pretty good price at U$11.27 & U$3.70. Does it include the shipping costs? I realize that making backups of the entire disk would be simple I was talking about the SL route. Hopefully in the next year the prices will be half of what they are now as demand increases. Then I can unload the terrabyte Hard Drives and sell them on eBay. 8)

That included shipping, but for an easy way to make movie only single layers just use clown BD

so far ebay has the cheapest BD DL all from Japan. roughly 11-12 bucks per disk + shipping. And single go for 3-4 bucks each. So much cheaper then the 20 dollar per BD and 40 per BD DL at the stores. Why is America so overpriced?

so far ebay has the cheapest BD DL all from Japan. roughly 11-12 bucks per disk + shipping. And single go for 3-4 bucks each. So much cheaper then the 20 dollar per BD and 40 per BD DL at the stores. Why is America so overpriced?

Could someone post some links to these "cheap" DVD blanks?

The single-layer BDs are cheap at shop4tech (The Blaze ones). For dual layer they're cheap on ebay, just search for "bd-r dl" you'll get a couple of stores that indicate in their names they're from japan, those seem to carry the cheap media.

Back