CCleaner compromised

Discussion in 'Third Party Products' started by hadar, Sep 18, 2017.

1. hadar

hadar Well-Known Member

To whom it may concern:

2. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 Well-Known Member

I saw that article earlier today, and forgot to post it here.

These spyware/virus/Trojan people are getting a little too ridiculous with all of this poisoning legit programs like CCleaner, AnyDVD awhile ago, and so on.

:mad:

3. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

Hah i was still using 5.30 and i'm using the 64 bit version. so doesn't affect me either version or x86/x64 type wise :p

whatever_gong82 likes this.
  4. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 Well-Known Member

Lucky guy.

:D

5. David_B

David_B Well-Known Member

Did third-party antivirus software protect from this?

6. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

Quite funny, actually, if you think about it. A "well-known snake-oil, erm..., security software company" (Avast) manages to distribute a backdoor/trojan horse hidden inside a *signed* setup program. Just fits with my personal opinion about all these "security" and "cleanup" programs.

BRCS likes this.
  7. antipodes

antipodes Well-Known Member

James said "....Quite funny, actually, if you think about it. A "well-known snake-oil, erm..., security software company" (Avast) manages to distribute a backdoor/trojan horse hidden inside a *signed* setup program." Its going to get a lot funnier because the banks are insisting that their online clients have anti-virus programs installed.

8. David_B

David_B Well-Known Member

Yeah, CCleaner's kind of a joke, but there are other Piriform programs that are kind of nice. I like Speccy and Defraggler.

9. hadar

hadar Well-Known Member

The mentioned companies above are said to include singtel, samsung, sony, vmware, intel, microsoft, cisco, o2, vodafone, epson, msi, gmail, d-link and others.