• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can't use Verbatim DVD +r

Pokerman11

I normaly use the Verbatim DVD -R and ran out. Got a cakepack of the +R from newegg the other day, but now only burning coasters. (I don't have any of the -R left to try)

The burns are not seen as a DVD in my computer nor house DVD player.

I use a pair of PIONEER DVR-212 drives (tried to burn with both) but the results are the same.
Clonedvd reports successful copy.

I'm trying old movies from my collection (like star wars, matrix) - ones that I've successfuly backedup before.

Before doing this I downloaded the latest clonedvd and anydvd just to make sure I was uptodate.

Do I need to do anything different for +r to work?

They appear to burn fine but don't? What is happening that you think they are coasters? Are the discs recognized by your DVD drive? Are standalone players not recognizing the discs? Are you booktyping the discs to DVD-ROM?

People will need more detailed information to help.

These disks don't show up in my computer as a DVD. They show up as a blank DVD-ROM that is not accessable. In the standalone DVD players I have they don't register as a DVD (or even a valid disk) at all.

Not sure what you mean by booktyping to DVD-ROM

These disks don't show up in my computer as a DVD. They show up as a blank DVD-ROM that is not accessable. In the standalone DVD players I have they don't register as a DVD (or even a valid disk) at all.

Not sure what you mean by booktyping to DVD-ROM

DVD-R discs cannot be booktyped. DVD+R discs can. You change it to DVD-ROM which is what a commercially sold disc is. This increases compatibility with standalone DVD players. Some players won't play DVD-R discs well or some don't like DVD+R discs that haven't been booktyped to DVD-ROM.

So, the burn is apparently successful but both DVD drives on a computer and standalone DVD players say it's a no-go.

I doubt you'd have both Pioneer drives suddenly die at the same time and although it's possible to get a bad blank now and then I've always had good experience with Verbatim and no issues with those I purchased from NewEgg.

What speed are you burning the discs at? What speed are the blanks rated for? Don't burn at maximum speed in CloneDVD. If you have 16x rated media then I'd burn at no more than 12x. Generally I'd recommend 8x.

Refer here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476

It wouldn't hurt for you to post some log files as well:

1. Ensure AnyDVD is running.
  2. Put the problematic original movie DVD in your burner. Wait for AnyDVD to scan the disc.
  3. Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
  4. Select "Create Logfile".
  5. Wait for AnyDVD to create a log file.
  6. A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where AnyDVD created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "OK".
  7. Go to your "My Documents" folder.
  8. You will see a ZIP file called "AnyDVD_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f).
  9. When replying or posting in the SlySoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
    attach.gif
    (in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread).
  10. If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
  11. A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't, please ensure your browser is configured to allow pop-ups from the SlySoft forum).
  12. Click the "Browse" button and locate and select the ZIP file you created.
  13. Click "upload".
  14. Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the ZIP file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at.

(Thanks for the help so far)

I downloaded Imgburn to try to change the booktype but I don't think Ic an change the bitsetting. I tried but no success. Also I'm running the most uptodate firmware for these drives.

Ran it again at 4x - still no luck. CLONEDVD tells successful write, but resulting disk is unreadable in my standalone dvd's, other computers (tried two others) as well as the original computer.

I attached the log file.

As an aside I'm able to burn fine using -r meid (just retested). Perhaps I should just order some new -R and not worry about this. I know -r works perfect for me.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_D_SHREK_THE_THIRD.zip
    159.1 KB · Views: 2
ok did the firmware hack - and enabled bitsetting, reflashed. So then how do I change the booktype now? Imgburn still does not let me to it.

tks

ok did the firmware hack - and enabled bitsetting, reflashed. So then how do I change the booktype now?

You don't (and you may need to reboot if you haven't already). Your drive should automatically change booktype to dvd-rom now.

However, you can't change booktype after burning to dvd+r. So, you would need to burn again.

Use an 8x or 12x write speed to 16x rated media. Do not burn at max.

In Nero's cd-dvd speed program (freeware . . . it's now called Nero Discspeed 4), your settings should probably look like this:

sshot150ly8.png

(Zebadee's screenshot)

Last edited:
ok now this has got me confused. The MCSE update to allow bit setting was easy. My results from Nero speed show that proper settings (all disk types go to dvd-ROM, just like your screen shots).

I know my burner is buring -R media fine, just did an apples to apples test and can burn -R. But still can't create a usable disk using +R. Even burn speeds as low as 4x same results.

I was thinking I got a bad batch of media - but just tried these disks on a non pioneer drive and they work.

These pioneer drives must just hate the +R. Any last suggestions or I'm goig to give up and just order more -R.

I was thinking I got a bad batch of media - but just tried these disks on a non pioneer drive and they work.

Pretty weird . . .

What blank media are you using? Specify
  • media code,
  • batch codes/serial codes (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc), and
  • country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).
If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

If they work in another drive, then it's unlikely to be a bad spindle, but rather a compatibility issue between your drive's firmware and the blank media you're using.

I have a dvr-215, and it burns Verbatim +R (made in Taiwan by CMC) perfectly fine.

I'm goig to give up and just order more -R.

I would probably stick to what works for you.

Last edited:
Hi :)
The question of bit setting is still common, despite the fact that most current standalones should recognise DVD+R media.
Pioneer does not support bitsetting, hence the greyed areas when trying to use Nero's CD/DVDSpeed etc.
The afore mentioned MCSE patching should give you full bitsetting.
Pioneer for some time have made their drives support DVD-ROM for DL media only.
This patching can/will make the drive support all + media to DVD-ROM.
The fact you had no problems with DVD-R media.
Should mean that the drive is functioning OK.*
The reference to azo coating, implies you have Verbatim media.
Which should be trouble free.
However batch quality of late has been mixed.
It could be that you have such a flawed batch, that the finalising is being corrupted.
This would mean that the disc is written to, just not finalised.
Making it void in terms of retrieval of data.
If local supplier return with said discs for their opinion.
If online purchase, contact supplier.
Others may have problems too.
Check media yourself.
Hold upto light, scrutinise with magnifying glass etc.
Even cleaning media before burning, might yield some success.
Good luck. 8)

BTW You could do a test burn with CD/DVDSpeed (Create Disc). Posting the results.
This may be helpful in diagnosing the problem(s).

* Edit, just had Webslinger point out you have used these discs in another drive (non-pioneer).
Try reflashing your Pioneer drive in safe mode.
It could be that the flashing hasn't taken properly in standard mode.

Last edited:
Back