• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can rip on one computer but not on another

solstyce

Cutting to the chase, I think this is likely a system-specific hw or sw problem on my side, not an AnyDVD problem. Asking here given the number of ripping / drive experts, someone may have run into this and can point me in the right direction. I've read the pinned "read before posting" post as well as searched this forum and read any relevant threads.

I've been using AnyDVD HD for years to rip DVDs for viewing on Plex. I've acquired a few Bluray movies lately and am trying to rip them for transcoding for Plex as well. My process is to rip to ISO using ImgBurn then use Handbrake to transcode to mp4 then move to Plex). This is with AnyDVD HD 8.6.8.0.

On my Lenovo laptop (Win10 Pro 22H2, 64 bit, i7 11th gen), the bluray drive (external USB3 Verbatim drive that appears as Pioneer BD-RW BDR-UD03 in device manager) the disc appears in ImgBurn and I can start the rip but at random times 1-20 minutes into the rip, I see a warning in ImgBurn that new media has been inserted into the drive, AnyDVD HD rescans the disc, and ImgBurn pops an error. I've also tried ripping to ISO using AnyDVD HD and it fails with "bad sector" errors at random times into the rip.

On my Plex server (Intel NUC, Win10 Pro 1909, 64 bit, i7 8th gen), the drive works fine. I can rip with AnyDVD HD plus ImgBurn and create the ISO, then transcode with Plex.

I'm trying to get this working on my laptop since it's more convenient to rip discs while I'm working. I've tried removing and reinstalling the driver for the Bluray drive, and set the power management property to all the USB controllers in Device Manager to disable the "allow computer to turn off this device to save power" option. Neither made any difference I could see. I've searched the web for similar issues but no luck.

This feels like my laptop is somehow losing connection to the drive momentarily, but I can't figure out how.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Most likely to less power via the USB port. If you have an active USB hub with extra power supply use that for your laptop. Connecting via USB-C instead of USB-A (if available) might also help.

Thanks for the tips, y'all!

I finally figured this out. Lenovo has their own special "Intelligent Cooling" system that is apparently completely separate from the Windows power plan configuration. I only discovered this when I clicked the systray battery icon in frustration and found a battery life / performance slider. Dragged that over to "best performance" and suddenly no more disconnects on the USB drive.

Usually I'm pretty happy with Lenovo devices, but this is just wrong. Can't believe they put in another layer of power management on top of but not connected to Windows. Argh!

Hopefully this helps someone in the future when they're searching for why is their USB drive or other USB device disconnecting and reconnecting all the time on their Lenovo laptop.

Back