• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Bypassing Cinavia

antipodes

I hope this question is not oxymoronic. If I make a 1 to 1 copy of a Blu-ray disc with Cinavia will that copy escape detection by the cinavia process? If that should be the case I would be happy to incur the extra expense and make 1 to 1 copies of the few Cinavia discs that I have.

No, 1:1 copies simply copy the movie file structure. However in order to do that the disc has to be decrypted, and the second decryption is done cinavia will kick in if the player supports detection and the signal isn't removed. The signal has to be removed or the played on a player that doesn't support it, or played back on a PC with anydvd's 'prevent cinavia detection by SOFTWARE player' setting active.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

doesn't support it, or played back on a PC with anydvd's 'prevent cinavia detection by SOFTWARE player' setting active.
Thanks for that clarification Ch3vr0n I guess I will have to get on my time machine and find a Cinavia free player.

That's any player model before 2012. Like a Panasonic dmp-bd85. 2010 model, still plays everything I throw at it. Your best option would be to look for a 2nd hand/refurbished unit.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

Thanks for that clarification Ch3vr0n I guess I will have to get on my time machine and find a Cinavia free player.
Why not convert the movie to an .mkv file?

Why not convert the movie to an .mkv file?
Thank you James. I had not thought of that because my understanding of the software is limited but I will do the research and give it a go.

Converting to mkv is not protection against Cinavia the last I heard. i.e. If you play a mkv video on a blu-ray (Cinavia compliant) standalone player, it will still detect the Cinavia signal. But mkv is a format that you can play on non-compliant media players at the cost of full blu ray compatibility.

Why not invest in a dedicated Windows HTPC (with AnyDVDHD) and PDVD? Then everything works all the time.

BTW it would by great if Slysoft ever came out with a Linux version of AnyDVDHD so it could be used with the microcomputers like Strawberry PI. :)

Last edited:
Converting to mkv is not protection against Cinavia the last I heard. i.e. If you play a mkv video on a blu-ray (Cinavia compliant) standalone player, it will still detect the Cinavia signal.

Not entirely accurate. There are licensed standalone players that are fully Cinavia-compliant that will playback MKV or M2TS files from removable media and not even blink when Cinavia is present because they aren't checking for it in those formats.

Not entirely accurate. There are licensed standalone players that are fully Cinavia-compliant that will playback MKV or M2TS files from removable media and not even blink when Cinavia is present because they aren't checking for it in those formats.
I agree, I have standalone Blu-ray player that plays MKV's from a USB pen and it never detects Cinavia in my files

Converting to mkv is not protection against Cinavia the last I heard. i.e. If you play a mkv video on a blu-ray (Cinavia compliant) standalone player, it will still detect the Cinavia signal. But mkv is a format that you can play on non-compliant media players at the cost of full blu ray compatibility.

Why not invest in a dedicated Windows HTPC (with AnyDVDHD) and PDVD? Then everything works all the time.

BTW it would by great if Slysoft ever came out with a Linux version of AnyDVDHD so it could be used with the microcomputers like Strawberry PI. :)
Hi Roycal regarding your suggestion about a dedicated home theatre pc are these pcs made to order or are there off the shelf models available. If they are made to order what do I need to specify with regard to cinavia. Names and model numbers would be a help.

Hi DrinkLyeAndDie can you give me some names for the stand-alone players that handle multi formats. Thank you.

Hi DrinkLyeAndDie can you give me some names for the stand-alone players that handle multi formats. Thank you.

The Oppo BDP-10x players block playback from burned Cinavia laden Blu-ray copies. They block playback of portable formats burned to optical disc, as well. They politely ignore Cinavia and playback without issue from a USB, over SMB or DLNA. I've heard of other brand players doing something similar but it's not something I've spent any time remembering. People would have to do a web search for that.

The Oppo BDP-10x players block playback from burned Cinavia laden Blu-ray copies. They block playback of portable formats burned to optical disc, as well. They politely ignore Cinavia and playback without issue from a USB, over SMB or DLNA. I've heard of other brand players doing something similar but it's not something I've spent any time remembering. People would have to do a web search for that.
Thanks muchly DrinkLyeAndDie, point taken about need to research.

As I understand the requirement for full Blu Ray Playback Standards is that the player (manufactured after circa 2012) has to recognize and enforce the Cinavia detection.
Even PowerDVD enforces that requirement so that it is fully Blu Ray compatible with original disks. It should not matter what form the media is in if it's played back in a fully compliant blu ray player (hardware and software players).

IMHO, the fact that some players may have holes in those requirements with different media formats is likely a temporary thing as it's likely a violation of the licenses and can be fixed with a firmware update.

Hi Roycal regarding your suggestion about a dedicated home theatre pc are these pcs made to order or are there off the shelf models available. If they are made to order what do I need to specify with regard to cinavia. Names and model numbers would be a help.
There are lots of low cost windows compatible mini computers on the market.
PowerDVD and AnyDVD on a HDMI mini pc is the solution to Cinavia. The market on mini HTPCs is so dynamic that I don't want to post a specific link right now. The only requirement for AnyDVDHD and PowerDVD to work is that it is a Windows computer :)

Last edited:
It should not matter what form the media is in if it's played back in a fully compliant blu ray player (hardware and software players).
But it does matter. If you want, you can read the aacs license agreement yourself.
E.g. PowerDVD will not detect Cinavia from mkvs, anydvds icon will not turn purple.

IMHO, the fact that some players may have holes in those requirements with different media formats is likely a temporary thing as it's likely a violation of the licenses and can be fixed with a firmware update.

Well, the BDP-103 came out in 2012. Temporary, indeed, although we may have differing definitions of the word. I'm kidding, of course. :p But, yes, 2012, and there are other players. I just lack the motivation or concern to care which ones also ignore Cinavia in portable formats or via streaming. I also, frankly, couldn't remember the list, anyway, even if I had known at one point.

But it does matter. If you want, you can read the aacs license agreement yourself.
E.g. PowerDVD will not detect Cinavia from mkvs, anydvds icon will not turn purple.

Indeed.

i was actually hoping you would reply on that specific issue. But that is the original intention of the protection so that it cannot be eliminated by converting to other formats. If there is a gigantic hole like that in the license agreement it is very surprising (or not due to incompetence) :)

The feedback I've heard from most Sony standalone customers is that everything recognizes and enforces Cinavia.

Last edited:
i was actually hoping you would reply on that specific issue. But that is the original intention of the protection so that it cannot be eliminated by converting to other formats. If there is a gigantic hole like that in the license agreement it is very surprising (or not due to incompetence) :)

The feedback I've heard from most Sony standalone customers is that everything recognizes and enforces Cinavia.

Sony's decision and position is not surprising here. At least not to me. They have historically gone the extra mile and generally like to trample on consumers. Some other companies may also have simply blocked all CInavia but the reasoning behind it is unknown. Just making life easier? Appeasement?

Down the road is it possible that there could be a change to the BDA licensing that would require Cinavia detection and compliance for all playback of any and all media formats via any method? Sure.

Sony's decision and position is not surprising here.
No. If Sony Home Entertainment spends a lot of money for Cinavia on movies by Sony Pictures, they probably have an interest in devices from Sony Electronics and Sony Computer Entertainment to detect it.

Some other companies may also have simply blocked all CInavia but the reasoning behind it is unknown. Just making life easier? Appeasement?
Shares in some media company?

Down the road is it possible that there could be a change to the BDA licensing that would require Cinavia detection and compliance for all playback of any and all media formats via any method? Sure.
Sony being the key member of the BDA, maybe.

Back