• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Burning after ripping to HD issue

BoscoCosta

I've used AnyDVD for some time now and i usually just use shrink to burn the DVD but lately I've been using the rip to HD feature and have been having issues when i burn these files to a disc. the last three i have done cause the DVD to start playing at a random point when played in any of my home DVD players yet play fine in my laptop in which i burned the disc. Has anyone run into this issue and if so what was the fix? Should it try another burn program such as Nero?

thanks

This isn't an Anydvd issue.

from Frequently Asked Questions (READ BEFORE YOU POST)

12. My backups play on my computer or standalone dvd player, but not in something else. Why?

First, if the backup is playing in a standalone dvd player or on your computer, that means Anydvd and whatever backup program you used worked.

The most common reason why you're having this problem (if the backup doesn't work in a standalone dvd player) is due to a compatibility issue between the blank media you're using and whatever you're using to play the backup in (standalone dvd player, for example). Basically your dvd player, dvd-rom drive, etc. doesn't like the blank media you're using (or if you're using +R media, you didn't change the booktype to "dvd-rom"). You can try choosing other blank media (+r instead of -r, for example, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom")--or buy a different standalone dvd player (or a different dvd-rom drive, burner, etc.).

If you're using dvd-r media and your standalone dvd player gives you a message similar to ""Play Prohibited, please check disc", use dvd+r media instead and change the booktype to "dvd-rom" (see "b)" below).

a) Are you using junk blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline), Verbatim, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer to this question is "yes". If you use +R DL blank media use Verbatim +R DL (made in Singapore) or MAM-A 8x +R DL only
b) Click this and read FULLY (especially take a look at point 4 for more information on bitsetting/booktyping, but all points are very important)

The same factors also apply to why the backup doesn't play in your computer (but there can be other factors including buggy or poorly installed dvd player software, bad drivers, etc.).

It's also possible the playback device/player you're using is slowly dying.

i serious doubt that is the issue as nothing has changed other than using the rip to HD option - meaning same hardware and software as well as media and two different DVD players.

i serious doubt that is the issue as nothing has changed

Doesn't matter.

a) Poor quality blank media varies from disc to disc within the same spindle, and just because you bought something last time from X company doesn't mean X company actually makes the blank media--nor does it mean the next blanks you buy from the same company will even be produced by the same factory. Typically Memorex, Maxell, TDK, etc. outsource to a number of different companies. Memorex in particular outsources to the lowest bidder (they don't make their own stuff). That's why their blank media is so variable in quality (and why I state Memorex is mostly junk). Generic Maxell (that's not made in Japan), generic TDK, Memorex, Princo, etc. are not good quality blank media. Do yourself a favor and get some Taiyo Yudens (not valueline, trublue . . . I'm also not sure about Linkyo) from www.supermediastore.com if you're in the U.S.--and don't burn at max.

b) All optical drives and dvd players slowly die over time

And if the backup plays in your laptop the issue is in fact between the standalone player and your backup. click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=2516 and read fully.

Again, this isn't an Anydvd issue, and consequently, you've posted in the wrong forum.

By the way, it's very easy to check if Anydvd is the issue:

i) "rip video-dvd to hard drive" as you should be doing, and then select the entire video_Ts folder as the source for playback (don't select individual .vobs) or select the video_ts.ifo file. If the rip plays fine, Anydvd isn't the issue
ii) With Anydvd running in the background, play the original disc on your computer. If the original disc plays fine, Anydvd isn't the issue.

Anything else is a blank media compatibility, burn quality, not understanding how to use the burning software in question, or standalone dvd player issue (or any combination thereof).

Last edited:
You're all missing the flaw in the 1st sentence of the OP. DVD Shrink doesn't burn. DVD Shrink merely hooks into Nero to burn for you.

You can try burning with Nero alone from the HD - just to make sure your paramaters are set right. But I do agree that this sounds like a blank-media or dying burner issue.

Also - AnyDVD's rip to hard disk is just a way of getting around some strange structural protections. Perhaps burning the resultant rip STRAIGHT to disk as opposed to running it through Shrink to Nero is not a good idea? Also - if you're not using Nero to burn that rip - what ARE you using?

Agreed that it's not an AnyDVD problem.

-W

You're all missing the flaw in the 1st sentence of the OP. DVD Shrink doesn't burn. DVD Shrink merely hooks into Nero to burn for you.

I understood what you wrote to be a given. My recommendations still stand.

Actually, I'm going to move this thread to the Third Party Product forum since the issue has nothing to do with Anydvd.

Back