• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Resolved Bluray disc not even loading

Captainquark

I bought the movie "The big blue" (aka "Le grand bleu", aka "Im Rausch der Tiefe") twice and are unable to even load any of those discs. Once, the movie was still new (in its original wrapper), once the movie was a used one. I tried it with two different drives on my computers, and on a Sony UBP-X800M2 player. The Sony tells me "unreadable disc", the PC drives make noises for like 2-3 minutes, then just stop. Nothing to be seen in Explorer nor Redfox tray icon. As the disc cannot be read, I cannot create a log file, either.

I read the "Please read this before you post" article, so I know it's probably a bad badge of discs from the producer. Just wanted to ask 2 questions to the community:
  • According to your experience, can this sometimes be overcome by a modern drive that maybe also supports UHD Blurays? The movie is a regular Bluray, but maybe the Pioneer drive has better capabilities to cope with such discs? I have an LG and an Asus drive, the Asus having a modified firmware to support UHD discs. I don't know if this could have an influence?
  • Does anybody else out there have the same problem with that particular Bluray disc? If so, I'd feel better to accept that I just ran out of luck with this movie and will probably stop looking for another disc. Reason I want to make this work is that this is the only FHD version available in my country that has the English audio track. The newer ones only have the German and French audio track, which sucks.
Anyway, not asking for troubleshooting, just trying to get your guidance out of your experience - thanks everyone!

Additional info, sorry I forgot:
  • the title of the disc and its country of origin: The big blue | Im Rausch der Tiefe -> Switzerland
  • EAN / UPC number (barcode) EAN 4010324037336
  • Webshop link if you have one (amazon, ebay,...) First, I rented it from here: https://www.videobuster.de/dvd-bluray-verleih/66013/the-big-blue
    but it had the German and French audio tracks only.
    Then I bought it twice from some a local service like Ebay, so from private persons. One of these discs was still in the original packaging.

Please post an AnyDVD logfile, because a logfile will probably help find out what your issue is:

I have witnessed drives have physical issues reading discs. I have seen with with my own drives. Sometimes I pop in a disc and I hear the drive grinding away. I pop it out, put it back in and it reads fine.

I also had trouble trying to use CloneBD to make an MKV of a UHD disc. It would grind forever and do little. I found that putting that same disc in and telling AnyDVD to rip to image worked fine. Then I would run CloneBD on the resulting ISO. I have now done that for a few years with no issues.

The point is there are quirks.

Normally step 1 is clean your discs with warm gentle soapy water.

If that does not help I would ask, does windows read the disc OK without AnyDVD?

Have you tried ripping to image with AnyDVD or does it just not make it that far?

I can tell you from experience brand news discs are often garbage. Maybe as much as 1/4th of the time.

Hope this helps.

PS - I find your name fascinating I have gone by variations of "quark" since the BBS days and you don't see it often. I will leave it to your imagination as to what DQ stands for.

PS - I find your name fascinating I have gone by variations of "quark" since the BBS days and you don't see it often. I will leave it to your imagination as to what DQ stands for.
I know about your dark secret ;):censored:
Although I haven't ever looked of what it might mean.

Please post an AnyDVD logfile, because a logfile will probably help find out what your issue is:

Sorry - I was under the impression that when AnyDVD does not find a disc in the drive, one cannot create a logfile. I created two: one during which the drive tried to read the disc ("1-AnyDVD_8..."), and one when the drive gave up ("2-AnyDVD_8..."). Not sure if it makes any difference.

Attachments

• 1-AnyDVD_8.6.8.0_Info_E_EMPTY_DRIVE.ziplog
    24 KB · Views: 1
  • 2-AnyDVD_8.6.8.0_Info_E_EMPTY_DRIVE.ziplog
    22.9 KB · Views: 2
I have witnessed drives have physical issues reading discs. I have seen with with my own drives. Sometimes I pop in a disc and I hear the drive grinding away. I pop it out, put it back in and it reads fine.

I also had trouble trying to use CloneBD to make an MKV of a UHD disc. It would grind forever and do little. I found that putting that same disc in and telling AnyDVD to rip to image worked fine. Then I would run CloneBD on the resulting ISO. I have now done that for a few years with no issues.

The point is there are quirks.

Normally step 1 is clean your discs with warm gentle soapy water.

If that does not help I would ask, does windows read the disc OK without AnyDVD?

Have you tried ripping to image with AnyDVD or does it just not make it that far?

I can tell you from experience brand news discs are often garbage. Maybe as much as 1/4th of the time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your comments on my dilemma. Of course I tried it half a dozen times in each drive, taking them out and putting them back in every time. It's just the drive going bananas for like a minute or two, then it stops doing anything. I don't have CloneBD, I only wanted to rip the disc with AnyDVD, that's it. I will then work on the ripped files with handbrake. I'll do it like this for many many years now, never had a problem before, but as I read, there may be bad badges and it's well possible I have one of these discs.

Sure, tried to clean the disc with water as well. No, Windows cannot read the disc at all, even when I exit AnyDVD tray icon. I can't rip it as the disc cannot be read at all. Just annoyed because I tried 2 different discs, and they seem both broken. And of course, I cannot find a contact at Concorde Video to take it up with them. Does Concorde Video still exist, anyway?

Thanks for trying to help. I guess I have to throw it away then. Bad luck! 😢

PS: After DeepSpace's comment: Dark Quark! Dark Quirk? Dark Quintessence? Dark Quader? 😅 Nah, I think I guessed it, but will also keep it to myself 🤐
I liked the word play in "Captainquark", as it sounds very similar to Captain Kirk (at least where I live), but Quark being a dairy product that is not well known outside German speaking regions...

Thanks for your comments on my dilemma. Of course I tried it half a dozen times in each drive, taking them out and putting them back in every time. It's just the drive going bananas for like a minute or two, then it stops doing anything. I don't have CloneBD, I only wanted to rip the disc with AnyDVD, that's it. I will then work on the ripped files with handbrake. I'll do it like this for many many years now, never had a problem before, but as I read, there may be bad badges and it's well possible I have one of these discs.

Sure, tried to clean the disc with water as well. No, Windows cannot read the disc at all, even when I exit AnyDVD tray icon. I can't rip it as the disc cannot be read at all. Just annoyed because I tried 2 different discs, and they seem both broken. And of course, I cannot find a contact at Concorde Video to take it up with them. Does Concorde Video still exist, anyway?

Thanks for trying to help. I guess I have to throw it away then. Bad luck! 😢

PS: After DeepSpace's comment: Dark Quark! Dark Quirk? Dark Quintessence? Dark Quader? 😅 Nah, I think I guessed it, but will also keep it to myself 🤐
I liked the word play in "Captainquark", as it sounds very similar to Captain Kirk (at least where I live), but Quark being a dairy product that is not well known outside German speaking regions...
Your last resort will then be to check them in a Pioneer drive. They are far better readers than the LG / ASUS. But chances are low since your standalone player doesn't read the discs as well.

Gotcha. Maybe I give Asmcom's drives a chance then. My Asus is quite old anyway, so it might make sense to replace it eventually.

Gotcha. Maybe I give Asmcom's drives a chance then. My Asus is quite old anyway, so it might make sense to replace it eventually.
You can buy this. It contains an UD04 and will work out-of-the-box:

or if you prefer a full size drive write a PM to me. Would be even cheaper.

Sorry - I was under the impression that when AnyDVD does not find a disc in the drive, one cannot create a logfile. I created two: one during which the drive tried to read the disc ("1-AnyDVD_8..."), and one when the drive gave up ("2-AnyDVD_8..."). Not sure if it makes any difference.

0.17s: unit ready failed, sense 2:30:0 // **** INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM INSTALLED

The drive really doesn't like the disc

Yes, you guessed it.

Faszinating 🖖

Or a character of DS9. I am sure Odo would like to speak a word with him if he actually tried to sell rotten milk lol
I began the "linage of quark" names before there was a DS9. They robbed me not the other way around. :p I was a physics buff when I was young. And I loved BBS'ing and they made you choose a handle. It has been "quark" since the late 80's.

@Captainquark

I would comment on your issue but since coopervid and James already did, nothing I will say would be any more informative than that. Listen to them.

Apropos of nothing.... there was a US TV show, Quark, 1977-1978, the misadventures of an outer space garbage collector and his crew.

It was a really cheap knock-off parody of sci-fi movies and TV shows. I remember watching it when first broadcast and wished it has been renewed after the one and only season.

Now back to our regularly scheduled trouble-shooting...

Apropos of nothing.... there was a US TV show, Quark, 1977-1978, the misadventures of an outer space garbage collector and his crew.

It was a really cheap knock-off parody of sci-fi movies and TV shows. I remember watching it when first broadcast and wished it has been renewed after the one and only season.

Now back to our regularly scheduled trouble-shooting...
You can get that series on Youtube. It looks Good.
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOhOWuooYVY&list=PLV4Ztn9euy7SLoOEoEY0bVvVCddG2zbdN

I began the "linage of quark" names before there was a DS9. They robbed me not the other way around. :p I was a physics buff when I was young. And I loved BBS'ing and they made you choose a handle. It has been "quark" since the late 80's.

@Captainquark

I would comment on your issue but since coopervid and James already did, nothing I will say would be any more informative than that. Listen to them.
Cool ;-)
No worries, I am in close contact with Coopervid, we'll give it a try with a new drive anyway (although it won't probably help with this disc, at least I can replace my super-old Asus anyway). So thanks for your comments, it's nice to get to know you guys a bit :) have some nice holidays ahead!

Cool ;-)
No worries, I am in close contact with Coopervid, we'll give it a try with a new drive anyway (although it won't probably help with this disc, at least I can replace my super-old Asus anyway). So thanks for your comments, it's nice to get to know you guys a bit :) have some nice holidays ahead!
The software here is a great resource. But many of the folks here are an even greater resource.

Back