• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blu-ray standaards

antipodes

Is there an agency which oversees Blu-ray standards for both drivers and discs. I am running into lots of problems with compatibility between software and driver. I have previously posted about my problems with making a back-up copy of "Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters" and these problems have been resolved with latest version of CloneBD.

Now I want to make back-up of "V for Vendetta" using Powerdvd 14 I get the message "drive is empty insert disc". I made several attempts but the message remained the same. However I had no problems playing the disc with Nero 2015. I then played the disc with PowerDVD using an external drive this resulted in the message "the disc is corrupt and cannot be played". Frustrated I clicked the Start button again and the disc played perfectly.

I thought the adoption of a standard was to prevent aberrations; yet just about every Blu-ray pack I have purchased has a clause stating that performance of the disc would be affected by the player's capability. So much for uniformity.

Is any one else experiencing this type of problem?

The short answer is NO.

There is the Blu-Ray Disk Association
(http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.blu-raydisc.com/en/index.aspx&sa=U&ei=v04YVf-_ComngwS4-oGIAw&ved=0CBQQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNF2C2hGlUSXwJip-sYQino3CCMyVA)
which is the organization that establishes all the standards for commercial Blu-Ray disks (but they don't directly control what goes onto a Blu-Ray disk.

It's a little bit like an organization which has established standards for writing a book; the book will have 100 pages, the type will be black only and will be Times Roman font, there will be 100 words to a page, etc., etc. ; but they don't say what the content of the book is.

There are also standards for writing Blu-Ray Video to a disk (describes what folders & files there are etc., etc), but again these standards don't directly cover the content.

Then it boils down to individual disk producers (read: studios) which dictate protection schemes, added features, obnoxious features, etc., etc.

The latter will have a multitude of formats, all of which should be compatible with stand-alone players, but many of which may not be fully compatible with software players, and definitely not purposely compatible with decryption software.

It becomes the software player makers responsibility to make their player function with the available variations. Some are more ardent than others, which leads to your last question.

To answer to that question is YES (others experience these same problems) - but these problems will likely never go away completely because of the continuing evolution of what the studios choose to put on a Blu-Ray disk.

Back