• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blu-Ray Discs Not Recognized

JMGNYC

I have a LG GCC-H20L BD/HD DCD Combo drive with firmware 1.07. I'm running Win 7 64-bit and have the latest driver from 2006.

Lately it cannot read more and more BD disks from Netflix. By "cannot read" I mean that it won't even show up in Explorer as there being a disk in the drive. It still reads old BDs fine.

Is this a driver problem? firmware? Some other software compatability problem?

Hardware likely

That looks like your drive's useful life is accelerating downhill quickly.

Do you think the drive itself (hardware) is going bad or is it just that new disks are authored/manufactured differently and this drive can't play them? I can consistently play older disks no problem which makes me think it's not hardware going bad.

that's pretty easy to determine. If you have any other blu-ray drive insert the disc and check if it gets recognised. If it does your drive is faulty

I unfortunately don't have another BD drive. Even if the disk was readable in another drive, could it be firmware/drivers for my existing drive rather than a hardware problem? Is it possible that LH just hasn't released firmware for the latest BD stuff?

very unlikely. My primary drive (BH10LS30, made by LG aswell) handles all blu-rays just fine. If you know somebody that has a blu-ray player, ask them to test it. Firmware for pc-drives usually only improves burning strategies and increases blank media compatibility, afaik it rarely "improves" retail disc playback as firmware isnt designed for playback. If a disc won't play properly it's usually in that case to blame at the software player.

Pretty sure your drive is dead/dying.

Yeah, I'll probably invest in a new drive. It's just odd that ALL of my old discs are recognized as being in the drive while none of the 3 new ones I have from Netflix get recognized as even being in the drive. It's not specifically a playback problem. The PC just thinks there's no disc in the drive for these new ones only.

Before you dump old drive try source disk from other place other than netflix and see if it helps.

Back