• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blocked BD copy playback (Cinavia)

Media player classic will also open the files with suffixes of bdmv at the root of
a blu ray which will take you directly to the movie. This is easier than using the playlists. You can also right click on the m2ts files and play them.

Yes, not new information for this thread. I believe they were also working on title selection but I'm not sure how far along that is. J River MC17 has that already so that you can pick the titleset you want to play from a menu, showing longest to shortest. MPC-HC was supposed to be adding something like that.

New method of copying.

It is becoming frustrating trying to copy anything Blu Ray related and DVD Fab is taking an eternity by converting the Cinavia files or simply failing to function. Here is something that works relatively quickly for me: with AnyDVD enabled, I rip the movie using Aunsoft's Blu Ray ripper. I use the default setting of MPEG2, medium quality and default audio and specify one file--very important to maintain sync. On an Intel I3, the ripping takes as long as the movie would play. A 32 Gig movie is reduced to about 15 Gigs. the quality is therefore reduced in half but much better than an uncompressed DVD and I have seen no pixelization. The MPEG files are burned to blank Blu Ray discs. I use the free Flash Lite player from Mirllis since that player links the audio and video extremely well whereas other players lose sync. On a 46" screen, the video is very acceptable.

It is becoming frustrating trying to copy anything Blu Ray related and DVD Fab is taking an eternity by converting the Cinavia files or simply failing to function. Here is something that works relatively quickly for me: with AnyDVD enabled, I rip the movie using Aunsoft's Blu Ray ripper. I use the default setting of MPEG2, medium quality and default audio and specify one file--very important to maintain sync. On an Intel I3, the ripping takes as long as the movie would play. A 32 Gig movie is reduced to about 15 Gigs. the quality is therefore reduced in half but much better than an uncompressed DVD and I have seen no pixelization. The MPEG files are burned to blank Blu Ray discs. I use the free Flash Lite player from Mirllis since that player links the audio and video extremely well whereas other players lose sync. On a 46" screen, the video is very acceptable.

DVDFAB is pure garbage. Ask anyone who lives in informed world they will tell you for sure it is going down hill faster than anything you can possibly imagine.

Not an audio expert either

But I read the patents files

And also this thread.

It's starnge nobody has noted the technology is based on phase shifting of time samples of audio signals (actually of what they call "overtones" around the main frequency for a sound. Google "Fourier Transform")

It is also based on a synching method to get the real data based on a pre-agreed sequence (for which the system has to hear the signal for a bit of time BEFORE the actual audio key is transmitted)

So my guess is that if someone found a way of inserting random key phase shifting on a Cinavia modified signal (by the same method they use to generate the Cinavia signal) then initial synching (syncing?) would be impossible

There must be a way to determine the phase of a component frequency in the resulting digital encoding (WAV I mean) of an audio signal. Anyone up to this?

I'm no audio expert, and I haven't read all 172 pages of this thread, so please forgive me if I'm asking something that's covered.

If Cinavia is inaudible, have people figured out what the frequency range is? For example, filtering out all audio below ~20hz, and then seeing if Cinavia is triggered? (The same test could apply for the higher range, ~20khz for example.)

If the protection really is inaudible, it seems like we would just be able to keep filtering until we didn't see the trigger anymore. Since people much smarter than me haven't figured it out yet, I'm guessing there's something much more advanced than that going on. If that's the case, would anyone be explain, in layman's terms, what that approach doesn't work? :)

Best of luck to all of you working on figuring this out.

There's been a lot of words thrown about in this discussion regarding cinavia, but haven't seen this aspect addressed (it may have, I might have missed it):

Does a movie-only copy still trigger cinavia?

LOL. Let me help you out here.....If an audio track contains Cinavia, and you play a non-original, non-trusted source version of it on a Cinavia enabled player, it will trigger Cinavia. If the AACS isn't there to validate it as a trusted source, it doesn't matter what format you use, it will trigger it.

LOL. Let me help you out here.....If an audio track contains Cinavia, and you play a non-original, trusted source version of it on a Cinavia enabled player, it will trigger Cinavia. If the AACS isn't there to validate it as a trusted source, it doesn't matter what format you use, it will trigger it.

That answers my question quite well, thanks SamuriHL. I've been staying away from jumping into Bluray while DVD is still an option precisely because of what I've been reading about cinavia, admittedly not a lot. So I haven't put a lot of effort into understanding the intricacies of the beast, your simple explanation is better than I've read elsewhere using a whole lot more words.

That answers my question quite well, thanks SamuriHL. I've been staying away from jumping into Bluray while DVD is still an option precisely because of what I've been reading about cinavia, admittedly not a lot. So I haven't put a lot of effort into understanding the intricacies of the beast, your simple explanation is better than I've read elsewhere using a whole lot more words.

It's not a reason to avoid BD IMO. Well, that depends I guess. If your intention is to backup BD's to expensive blank media and play them on a stand alone player, then Cinavia is probably going to bite you eventually. However, if you build a nice HTPC and use the right player, you'll never even know Cinavia exists. I personally backup my discs as MKV files and use J River MC17 to play them. *Currently* the commercial, licensed software players (PDVD, WinDVD, TMT) don't have Cinavia detection, so, they are safe to use for now. They will very likely be updated at some point, so, I'd keep the current versions around just so you can have a Cinavia free version of a software player.

What I'm saying is that Cinavia is not an issue if your player doesn't detect it. Period. Stand alone players are more of a risk. HTPC's, not much of a risk until the commercial players are updated, and even then, just don't use them. :)

It's not a reason to avoid BD IMO. Well, that depends I guess. If your intention is to backup BD's to expensive blank media and play them on a stand alone player, then Cinavia is probably going to bite you eventually. However, if you build a nice HTPC and use the right player, you'll never even know Cinavia exists. I personally backup my discs as MKV files and use J River MC17 to play them. *Currently* the commercial, licensed software players (PDVD, WinDVD, TMT) don't have Cinavia detection, so, they are safe to use for now. They will very likely be updated at some point, so, I'd keep the current versions around just so you can have a Cinavia free version of a software player.

What I'm saying is that Cinavia is not an issue if your player doesn't detect it. Period. Stand alone players are more of a risk. HTPC's, not much of a risk until the commercial players are updated, and even then, just don't use them. :)

The expense of going Bluray over DVD also makes me hesitate. Right now with DVDs still available I prefer to not spend a lot of money for upgrading to BD. To me personally the video/audio quality of Bluray over DVD is not that much of a factor. I know eventually I will have to make the change, but right now I'm more than happy.

Maybe when BD standalone players get as cheap as upconverting DVD players.... ;)

Thanks for your time and effort to explain things to this noob. :)

If you're happy with what you have, no need to change it. :) I personally would never go back now that I've built my BD library. HD is a real improvement over DVD in terms of quality. But I understand that if you're happy, the motivation to change it is not very high. Don't blame you at all on that one. :)

If you're happy with what you have, no need to change it. :) I personally would never go back now that I've built my BD library. HD is a real improvement over DVD in terms of quality. But I understand that if you're happy, the motivation to change it is not very high. Don't blame you at all on that one. :)

I generally watch old US TV shows or older movies, new shows or movies is not a high priority for me. If I don't see the latest movie the studios put out, I'm not feeling deprived. I feel the same about first run TV shows. I've got better things to do with my time. ;)

From a sticky in the AnyDVD HD forum:
"The reason I don't want to see any more Cinavia discussions in the AnyDVD HD forum is that it has been said that AnyDVD HD will not be the product that is used to defeat Cinavia. As such this topic doesn't belong in this particular forum."

So AnyDVD (HD) does circumvent all known copy protection (e.g. AACS and BD+) as well as disable region protection, but it will not ever do anything about Cinavia copy protection?

This doesn't make sense to me. If you handle copy and region protection in AnyDVD (HD), why not handle ALL protection measures?

Because cinavia is embedded in the audio as a watermark and will probably need the audio to be re-encoded to remove it which isn't possible to do 'on the fly'

Because cinavia is embedded in the audio as a watermark and will probably need the audio to be re-encoded to remove it which isn't possible to do 'on the fly'

OK, I see where the difference lies.

Does this mean that CloneDVD is already able handle Cinavia protection for DVD's?
And when will we see a CloneBD (beta) release?

Last edited:
No, ClonDVD does not handle cinavia, but then no DVD players out there detect it at the moment, only a few Blu-ray players will detect cinavia

There already some DVD's out with Cinavia protection and if u copy them and play on an BluRay Player wich is capable of Cinavia and you'r DVD has no longer CSS (wich is the protection for DVD's) it will have the same effect as on BluRay containing Cinavia and u removed AACS.

Last edited:
It doesn't work like that, the DVD has an AACS key in a file or some such. AFAIK CSS doesn't get in the equation.

When media with the watermark is played back on a system with Cinavia detection, its firmware will detect the watermark and check that the device on which it is being played is authorized for that watermark. If the device is not authorized (such as not being an authorized movie projector in the case of a cam bootleg, or not utilizing AACS in the case of a copy of a commercial Blu-ray disc or CSS in the case of a copy of a commercial DVD), a message is displayed (either immediately or after a set duration) stating that the media is not authorized for playback on the device and that users should visit the Cinavia web page for more information.

Back