• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best Ways to Playback from an External HDD to HDTV

CloneBD should be out sometime this year. That will be able to shrink movies down while keeping as much quality as possible. Until then, like the others said, use bd rebuilder.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

CloneBD

Looking forward to that. I hope it can cut out all those annoying little spurious videos that seem to be doing nothing except taking up space. You can spend an hour using BDClown unselecting them and end up saving less than a gigabyte. But every MB that's deleted counts pre-rencode for maximizing end quality.

One of the limitations of BD-Rebuilder seems to be in the initial calculation for ratio reduction; it doesn't seem to take in to account the audio tracks you delete. So you always end up with over 1GB free on a BD-R. i.e. I use a 'custom size' of 24000 or 23900 and almost always end up with 1.5 GB unused. But sometimes if I use 24000, I end up over 25GB and unable to fit it on a S/L, and other titles will re-encode to 24.5GB (using 24000 as the target), which I consider close enough.

Bd-Rebuilder is the best tool I have found out there for shrinking BD's and it is free, and the re-encodes are great quality, so can't complain, but I hope CloneBD works out all those annoying problems (ie size calc and deleting unnecessary video for 'full' backups, pre re-encode). ;)

This device is pure joy. I purchased two of them, and they work great.

However, if you just take the ripped movie from AnyDVD HD and plug this into a Sony or Samsung TV, it will not recognize the files. Thus, requiring the conversion to MKV.

This weekend, I was trying out this new device called the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player. This thing seems to be able to do a lot and it seems to do it well. It reads my Video_TS movie files and .ISOs, so I can just rip my DVDs to my HDD using AnyDVD, and just plug it in and watch! The gadget also seems to upconvert standard movies as good or better than my Sony BD player. This was a pleasant surprise as none of the descriptions on the box or on WD's website even touch on the topic of upconversion.

I've been a SlySoft user for a long time but admit to not being very tech-savvy, so I wing it LOL and ask for help. At this point what I do is use SS/AnyDVD/CloneDVD to create a file on a HDD, then use Handbrake to convert that file into a M4V file on a Network drive. Use a jailbroken AppleTV 1st Gen with a Broadcom card in it, running Crystalbuntu with XBMC. Works pretty smoothly and the boys over at XBMC forum are always very helpful. I would very much like to do this with some of my Blue-Ray movies but I don't have a BR Burner yet, and like I said... I'm really a novice so I have to find something that works almost plug and play. I mainly use a Mac, but have an old PC kept around just for SlySoft and some non-dvd programs that have not been converted to Mac OS.

If I wanted to get started, do I need a burner if I don't intend to actually burn a copy? Or would it just make more sense to get a Blue-Ray burner just to be safe? Can anyone point me to a link that shows what I need in the way of hardware/software to add HD Blue-Ray movies to my AppleTV library?

Thanks in advance... LB

Back