• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD+ Only on rentals

therivetman

They could solve a lot of issues by putting BD + only on rentals. Then backing up your collection would be a lot easier.

I think some rental stores also get the retail versions.
If you'd only put it on rentals people would end up buying the original and then selling it after ripping it....

The Blu-ray camp coundn't care less about customer service or disservice. They don't care if whenever they change their protection, you are unable to play your property until an update is available. They only way to get the point across is to boycott Blu-ray discs.

I don't know why anyone thinks a "rental version" even exists. In Australia it is illegal to try and control the retail market in those ways, it doesn't stop them printing "rental version" onto release that come "before" the general retail version - but they're still released through the same avenues, and available to any consumer who would want to purchase them, though they're much more expensive since they're trying to exploit rental stores. But then, I see this happening less and less anyway. Many now just don't bother with the "rental version" since it delays the retail version.

This general topic has already been discussed elsewhere. If they were to only put BD+ on rentals it would seriously harm rental stores. Many many rental stores sell brand new and previously viewed discs. Forcing them to rent and sell a more copy-protected disc would be unfair and possibly harm the rental stores financially by not having them able to participate in DVD sales on a level playing field.

This general topic has already been discussed elsewhere. If they were to only put BD+ on rentals it would seriously harm rental stores. Many many rental stores sell brand new and previously viewed discs. Forcing them to rent and sell a more copy-protected disc would be unfair and possibly harm the rental stores financially by not having them able to participate in DVD sales on a level playing field.

Wow... what a strange argument. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

I think you missed the OP's initial point, but I'll put forth this question:

Do you believe that we should just put BD+ on all media to save the rental second-hand market?

I can guarantee you the fact that the second-hand DVD (BD, or HD DVD) market is one that the studios don't care for... at all. It was not too long ago that the RIAA got in a tizzy about people selling used CDs on eBay, simply because it cut into their opportunity to sell their shiny new shrink-wrapped crap.

No one cares about the second-hand DVD/HD DVD/Blu-Ray market. In fact, if the studio's had their way... they would make you buy a copy of a movie for *every possible way* you could play back the media that you purchased.

I'm wondering if you could explain your position a bit more...

Wow... what a strange argument. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

I think you missed the OP's initial point, but I'll put forth this question:

Do you believe that we should just put BD+ on all media to save the rental second-hand market?

I can guarantee you the fact that the second-hand DVD (BD, or HD DVD) market is one that the studios don't care for... at all. It was not too long ago that the RIAA got in a tizzy about people selling used CDs on eBay, simply because it cut into their opportunity to sell their shiny new shrink-wrapped crap.

No one cares about the second-hand DVD/HD DVD/Blu-Ray market. In fact, if the studio's had their way... they would make you buy a copy of a movie for *every possible way* you could play back the media that you purchased.

I'm wondering if you could explain your position a bit more...

I didn't miss the OP's point at all. I disagree with them completely. Rental stores sell brand new unopened discs as well. I'm not sure what you don't understand about what I said.

Last edited:
Here's things in a hypothetical and amazingly overly-controlled world:

BD+ only exists on rental discs.

What does the store do if they sell brand new unopened discs? Are they forced to sell rental-only BD+ protected discs? Or do they sell normal retail discs? Well, who says a store couldn't not order any BD+ rental-only discs and use retail discs for renting. That way they place one order and can use their whole inventory for renting and selling. Who would enforce BD+ rental-only discs being actually used for renting? Would we have some super secret BDA police that pulls random inspections on rental stores?

I'm mostly being sarcastic but the fact is that BD+ is an all or nothing deal, IMHO. I purchase used SD DVDs all the time and when and if I go Hi-Def with BD then I'm still going to purchase used discs. I simply cannot agree to movie rental stores being forced to sell and shackled with BD+ discs while normal retail discs wouldn't have it. It's unfair to the stores and unfair to the consumer. It's black and white in my book.

Last edited:
How about this...

A completely copy proof disk...nothing to do but watch till it wears out.

Back