Backing up game CD/DVDs

Discussion in 'GameJackal' started by Ethrex, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Ethrex

Ethrex New Member

Hi, I am trying to take all of my game discs and back them up (like an ISO) and put the backup on my NAS so I can throw the boxes/CDs away. I could simply use ImgBurn or something to rip some discs, but many leverage DRM techniques which prevent ImgBurn from correctly ripping (one example is Battlefield: Vietnam). I don't really care about creating an environment where I can point and click to run a game - I want to be able to mount it to a virtual drive and be able to install it.

Will Game Jackal allow me to back up my discs? I tried but I didn't get very far. For example I started by testing with an old World of Warcraft disc and I quickly realized that it wanted me to have the game already installed so I could select the installed executable (I haven't had WoW installed in years), then insert the disc and start the game. I see the problem it is trying to solve -- remove the dependency of discs on an installed game. But is there a way to also back up the entire game disc for later installation?

Thanks

2. Ethrex

Ethrex New Member

For anybody who reads this in the future and is trying to do the same thing I am -- the product you are looking for is CloneCD. It has a feature to back up protected game CDs onto CCD files and then you can use Virtual CloneDrive to mount them. It is exactly what I was looking for.

3. Niall

Niall Member

HI is this just for PC games or will it work with X box games?
    I want to back up the X box game CD's so the original CD doesn't get damaged ETC.

would I Back up the CD using cloneDVD2 and then the virtual drive to play the game?
    Thanks