• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Backed up my first DL at 8X?

nacholibre

Well I backed up to a Verbatim DVD+R DL (Singapore) for the first time tonight, got caught up on all the settings, changed pulldown menu to DVD+/-R DL, BUUUUUUUUUUUT forgot to change the write speed from what I normally use for DVD SL's which is 8X! Anyway, the movie backed up perfectly in my opinion. Played back on my PC and on my Sony PS3 with stunning image quality. Is this normal? Will I have problems later? Should I have changed the write speed to 2.4x next time which is what the label says on the discs? BTW, it also says "Up to 6x*" on the package label.

Well I backed up to a Verbatim DVD+R DL (Singapore) for the first time tonight, got caught up on all the settings, changed pulldown menu to DVD+/-R DL, BUUUUUUUUUUUT forgot to change the write speed from what I normally use for DVD SL's which is 8X! Anyway, the movie backed up perfectly in my opinion. Played back on my PC and on my Sony PS3 with stunning image quality. Is this normal? Will I have problems later? Should I have changed the write speed to 2.4x next time which is what the label says on the discs? BTW, it also says "Up to 6x*" on the package label.

In the future, I would reduce the burn speed to 4x.

Do you recommend that I burn a new disc at 4x for this movie? Will I have any problems with this particular 8x disc in the future?

It's very difficult to answer that question. All blank discs use organic dye, and organic dye degrades over time. So, by default, yes, you will have problems in the future. The question is when?

If the burn quality is good, then even as your disc slowly dies, it will still last longer than if your burn quality is bad.

PI/PO and jitter scans provide an indication of how good a burn is.

I would just keep your original in a safe place, and if you experience issues then create another backup at that time.

Is it known whether a DL DVD+R might last longer than a SL?

Not that I'm aware of (and I would expect DL media to actually die first; 2 layers = extra layer = greater chance for something to go wrong, all other things being equal)

Back