• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Audio selection observation

walstib

With the last few releases (including 1.6.0), I notice that when I click to download and the video/audio selections appear, if I click first on the pre-selected language (for me, English), often the audio selection in the drop-down list changes to something better, e.g. the best available.

For example, whether on Max, Hulu, etc.. it often defaults the selection as visible with a "checkmark" next to "English". The audio-drop down often says something like "76kpbs...." or "130kpbs..." or whatever. If I then click on the English item (which is checked), the drop-down changes suddenly to "268kpbs..." (the "..." represents text around the bit rate; not important).

Note that if I instead click the drop-down upon display of the download window, the higher (highest) bitrate is *not* listed. So clearly something going on...

I suspect some weirdness in the interaction between what is retrieved in the manifest, what is pre-selected when the download window opens. Not sure if a log-file will help here but happy to provide.

Bottom line for me - never accept the "default" :). I kept thinking Hulu, et. al. lost higher bitrate audio. Clicking around, I noticed higher bitrate suddenly becoming available.

Cheers

which audio item is checked doesn't affect the drop down with the different rates, it's the audio item that's highlighted at the time the determines the drop down selections. For instance if English audio is checked but English descriptive is highlighted you'll only get the drop downs for that (which are usually lower). What's got the checkmark is the audio that'll actually download but to otherwise control the rate you'll need to highlight that line (I think but won't guarantee that it'll default to the highest possible)

With the last few releases (including 1.6.0), I notice that when I click to download and the video/audio selections appear, if I click first on the pre-selected language (for me, English), often the audio selection in the drop-down list changes to something better, e.g. the best available.

For example, whether on Max, Hulu, etc.. it often defaults the selection as visible with a "checkmark" next to "English". The audio-drop down often says something like "76kpbs...." or "130kpbs..." or whatever. If I then click on the English item (which is checked), the drop-down changes suddenly to "268kpbs..." (the "..." represents text around the bit rate; not important).

Note that if I instead click the drop-down upon display of the download window, the higher (highest) bitrate is *not* listed. So clearly something going on...

I suspect some weirdness in the interaction between what is retrieved in the manifest, what is pre-selected when the download window opens. Not sure if a log-file will help here but happy to provide.

Bottom line for me - never accept the "default" :). I kept thinking Hulu, et. al. lost higher bitrate audio. Clicking around, I noticed higher bitrate suddenly becoming available.

Cheers
I noticed something really weird w/ Hulu. It would always give me 2 of the exact same audio options, (128k AAC) I just stuck to the first one as the second wasn't any different quality, maybe it was for visually impaired? It didn't say. I'll do Hulu again and can have a better look once new season of Futurama is complete, not paying monthly for 1 TV season.

Haven't checked on Amazon yet, will do later today to see what audio selection gives me at first. I didn't notice what you experienced.

The bitrate you see on the right is the bitrate of the highlighted line on the left, not the checked one, often "descriptive audio" is the first line (not checked but highlighted) and the second line is "english" checked and the bitrate you see at first is the first line, so "descriptive audio".

The bitrate you see on the right is the bitrate of the highlighted line on the left, not the checked one, often "descriptive audio" is the first line (not checked but highlighted) and the second line is "english" checked and the bitrate you see at first is the first line, so "descriptive audio".

Seems counter-intuitive or confusing at best. I'd have it not default to anything, and force a selection.

Seems counter-intuitive or confusing at best. I'd have it not default to anything, and force a selection.
I disagree ...
What would be your suggestion?
Have the quality field empty until a user does.... what?
Check the box? Highlight an audio stream ... every single time? What if the user does nothing? Which Audio is downloaded?
Then what should the quality box contain? The audio quality of the checked stream? What if multiple streams are selected?
...highlighting seems the best option/compromise currently

Another option would be to have a dropdown list next to every selectable audio, but the devs must have their reasons against it.

Last edited:
I disagree ...
What would be your suggestion?

Another option would be to have a dropdown list next to every selectable audio, but the devs must have their reasons against it.
This. It's more intuitive. You see all in once, no need to click on each language to see the bitrate and you can't be confused.

Back