• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ASUS USB 3.0 12X Blu-ray Burner Model BW-12D1S-U

Tray

New guy posting to the forum but not new to AnyDVD/CloneDVD. Searched 1st and couldn't find anything directly to my needs.

Bought an Asus laptop couple yrs ago (win 7) but can't get anydvd to work with the stock dvd burner and want to get something to burn both blu-rays of my daughter's softball games that I record in 1080p and render with Power Director 11 and also reburn blu-ray movies with something, anydvd, new bd software out here yet??

Anyone have this burner http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135253&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-External+CD+%2f+DVD+%2f+Blu-Ray+Drives-_-N82E16827135253&gclid=CKKIvM_36LYCFYRM4AodhWwAhg and if so does it work with anydvd?

Any comments/suggestions on a good usb 3.0 external or portable burner and best software for my needs greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
New guy posting to the forum but not new to AnyDVD/CloneDVD. Searched 1st and couldn't find anything directly to my needs.

Bought an Asus laptop couple yrs ago (win 7) but can't get anydvd to work with the stock dvd burner and want to get something to burn both blu-rays of my daughter's softball games that I record in 1080p and render with Power Director 11 and also reburn blu-ray movies with something, anydvd, new bd software out here yet??

Anyone have this burner http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135253&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-External+CD+%2f+DVD+%2f+Blu-Ray+Drives-_-N82E16827135253&gclid=CKKIvM_36LYCFYRM4AodhWwAhg and if so does it work with anydvd?

Any comments/suggestions on a good usb 3.0 external or portable burner and best software for my needs greatly appreciated!
Any DVD HD is just a decrypter, if you're having problems burning then you need to look else where. 99% of burning problems are related to the media being used and it's compatibility with the burner. Cheap media is usually the culprit, I use Verbatim, while others have good results with Sony. Some times your burner also may need a firmware update, especially when it come to burning Blu-rays.
I can't give you any insight on the Asus burner, but if it doesn't work, it's not a problem with Any DVD HD.
I use Imgburn and many others here recommend it and using Imgburn along with Any DVD HD to decrypt your Blu-rays is a nice combo. You don't have to spend money on any fancy burning software.
You also don't mention that you're actually using Any DVD HD for you Blu-rays, you just say Any DVD. Any DVD will not work with Blu-ray decrypting.
You may also be interested in the up and coming new product "Slyce"

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=53392

Last edited:
Any DVD HD is just a decrypter, if you're having problems burning then you need to look else where. 99% of burning problems are related to the media being used and it's compatibility with the burner. Cheap media is usually the culprit, I use Verbatim, while others have good results with Sony. Some times your burner also may need a firmware update, especially when it come to burning Blu-rays.
I can't give you any insight on the Asus burner, but if it doesn't work, it's not a problem with Any DVD HD.
I use Imgburn and many others here recommend it and using Imgburn along with Any DVD HD to decrypt your Blu-rays is a nice combo. You don't have to spend money on any fancy burning software.
You also don't mention that you're actually using Any DVD HD for you Blu-rays, you just say Any DVD. Any DVD will not work with Blu-ray decrypting.
You may also be interested in the up and coming new product "Slyce"

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=53392

Yeah unfortunately my stock dvd player/burner is a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8A2ASW and doesn't work with anydvd ("fails to read disc"), thus my search for a new blu-ray player/burner that will work with it.

The Asus above receives good marks in general just wondering if anyone here has any experience with it or any other USB 3 burners?

Yeah unfortunately my stock dvd player/burner is a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8A2ASW and doesn't work with anydvd ("fails to read disc"), thus my search for a new blu-ray player/burner that will work with it.

The Asus above receives good marks in general just wondering if anyone here has any experience with it or any other USB 3 burners?
That is strange why your Matshita burner doesn't work with Any DVD.
Anyways I have a LG BE06 LU10, it's old and gets the job done, you can even read and burn HD DVD's with it. I had to cross flash to a different models firmware so it would see duel layer rewritable Verbatim's.
With USB 3 you're not going to gain anything with read or write speeds with Blu-ray's, when reading and writing Blu-ray's, that is always the bottle neck.
And as far as compatibility with Any DVD, it shouldn't make any difference.

I want you to try an experiment, Install Imgburn and try burning a disc with you Matshita burner _ first with out Any DVD and then with it.

You can use Imgburn first with Any DVD to create the ISO file that you burn to disc. When burning the ISO files to disc, Any DVD should be disabled if it was used first to decrypt a given DVD.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Use Image #7 provided by Imgburn.

Here are some screen shots of what to expect, click on "Create Image File From Disc" while Any DVD is running to decrypt the DVD.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=screenshots

As you may know you can also use Any DVD to create ISO files with the "Rip To Image" function and then those ISO files can simply be burned to disc while Any DVD is disabled.
Personally I use Imgburn to create a disc image, I found Any DVD and Any DVD HD not quite as versatile.

This is also another great place to post about things, Lightening UK is very helpful.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=16

Last edited:
I had a look at the specs of you older burner _ it is old, I think it's still IDE interface. I'm surprised you can still find media for it.
Those burners from Asus and LG should have no problem with Any DVD.

That is strange why your Matshita burner doesn't work with Any DVD.
Anyways I have a LG BE06 LU10, it's old and gets the job done, you can even read and burn HD DVD's with it. I had to cross flash to a different models firmware so it would see duel layer rewritable Verbatim's.
With USB 3 you're not going to gain anything with read or write speeds with Blu-ray's, when reading and writing Blu-ray's, that is always the bottle neck.
And as far as compatibility with Any DVD, it shouldn't make any difference.

I want you to try an experiment, Install Imgburn and try burning a disc with you Matshita burner _ first with out Any DVD and then with it.

You can use Imgburn first with Any DVD to create the ISO file that you burn to disc. When burning the ISO files to disc, Any DVD should be disabled if it was used first to decrypt a given DVD.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Use Image #7 provided by Imgburn.

Here are some screen shots of what to expect, click on "Create Image File From Disc" while Any DVD is running to decrypt the DVD.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=screenshots

As you may know you can also use Any DVD to create ISO files with the "Rip To Image" function and then those ISO files can simply be burned to disc while Any DVD is disabled.
Personally I use Imgburn to create a disc image, I found Any DVD and Any DVD HD not quite as versatile.

This is also another great place to post about things, Lightening UK is very helpful.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=16

warning.jpg

ImgBurn-error.jpg

Thanks again Jeff!

Still trying some of your suggestions...

It's pretty well documented this burner sucks and won't work with anydvd and I just tried it with ImgBurn too, as suggested and it doesn't work with that either when trying to burn a copy of a copyright protected disc.

This is a pretty detailed review of the Asus USB 3.0 burner I'm looking at and for the reasons he explains the USB 3 will be very helpful for me personally. See the 1st review in list by "testmaster"

http://www.amazon.com/External-Blu-Ray-Burner-BW-12D1S-U-BLK/product-reviews/B0051UY168/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Last edited:
warning.jpg

ImgBurn-error.jpg

Thanks again Jeff!

It's pretty well documented this burner sucks and won't work with anydvd and I just tried it with ImgBurn too, as suggested and it doesn't work with that either when trying to burn a copy of a copyright protected disc.

This is a pretty detailed review of the Asus USB 3.0 burner I'm looking at and for the reasons he explains the USB 3 will be very helpful for me personally. See the 1st review in list by "testmaster"

http://www.amazon.com/External-Blu-Ray-Burner-BW-12D1S-U-BLK/product-reviews/B0051UY168/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

That's an interesting review, I am going to dig out a small Blu-ray (around 22 GB) and see what I get with my USB 2 equipment just to compare and satisfy my curiosity. I will let you know my findings ;)
Another factor to burning speeds is the actual speed of the writer, manufacturers slow the speed down so it's not so noisy. Some burners have the ability to turn this "quiet" feature off, but the increase in speed becomes quite noisy.
While I am sure there is lots of documentation about the problems with that particular drive, you should assign a region number for the drive and see if that corrects the problem. Post again if you need instruction on how to do this.
Also, create an account at Imgburn and place the screen shot of the I/O error in the forums over at Imgburn. There is a very good chance that Lightening UK would have a comment about the error. If not just to confirm that that indeed you do need a new burner. But then again if you do want to burn Blu-rays you definitely need a new burner.

I forgot something important, what ever burner you get, I would stick with Imgburn. Much of the burning software included with these burners is from Cyberlink and most are out of date products. Worse still, many of them are Cinavia enabled and if your DVD or Blu-ray is Cinavia enabled as well, you will run into problems. Any DVD or Any DVD HD can't remove the Cinavia water mark from the sound track or block it from being detected in the burning software.

I had a look at the specs of you older burner _ it is old, I think it's still IDE interface. I'm surprised you can still find media for it.
Those burners from Asus and LG should have no problem with Any DVD.
Why should the interface matter when it comes to media? If it's a DVD/CD or Blu-ray writer then it should still be able to read and write that media unless the drive becomes faulty. I have access to old IDE DVD writers from 8 years ago and they still write DVD's fine, as well as an original Sony Blu-ray writer that uses IDE and that to has no issues with media except LTH Blu-rays

warning.jpg

ImgBurn-error.jpg

Thanks again Jeff!

Set your drive's region code, as the message suggests.

Why should the interface matter when it comes to media? If it's a DVD/CD or Blu-ray writer then it should still be able to read and write that media unless the drive becomes faulty. I have access to old IDE DVD writers from 8 years ago and they still write DVD's fine, as well as an original Sony Blu-ray writer that uses IDE and that to has no issues with media except LTH Blu-rays
Sorry for the confusion, I was just stating that it is an old drive and that it is probably IDE. My bad _ it's a poorly written statement. The drive is a DVD-RAM drive and I was assuming that finding media for it would be difficult _ although I did check and it is still available from eBay and other online sources.
Question; is a drive that uses DVD-RAM discs able to make use of DVD-R or DVD+R, DVD-RW etc. or is one stuck using only DVD-RAM to burn with ?

I forgot something important, what ever burner you get, I would stick with Imgburn. Much of the burning software included with these burners is from Cyberlink and most are out of date products. Worse still, many of them are Cinavia enabled and if your DVD or Blu-ray is Cinavia enabled as well, you will run into problems. Any DVD or Any DVD HD can't remove the Cinavia water mark from the sound track or block it from being detected in the burning software.

You're DA MAN!

Still haven't gotten ImgBurn to work right but by following these directions I found in the other forum you suggested I finally got the damn thing unlocked and AnyDvd is working with a test on CloneDVD2! For all of you thinking you can't get your MATSHITA UJ8A2ASW (and many others) to work with anydvd simply follow the directions in the 1st post of the thread and you should be in bidness.

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46246&hilit=UJ8A2ASW

Now if we can get the best USB Blu-Ray Burner thing figured out I'll be in hog heaven!

Will continue to update as I test with full versions of PowerDVD and PowerDirector 11.

Sorry for the confusion, I was just stating that it is an old drive and that it is probably IDE. My bad _ it's a poorly written statement. The drive is a DVD-RAM drive and I was assuming that finding media for it would be difficult _ although I did check and it is still available from eBay and other online sources.
Question; is a drive that uses DVD-RAM discs able to make use of DVD-R or DVD+R, DVD-RW etc. or is one stuck using only DVD-RAM to burn with ?
From what I can see it's just a standard Matshita laptop drive, so it should work with normal discs anyway, the down side is that the Matshita laptop drives have always been crap, probably the worst drives out there so getting either a newer internal (harder to get with the laptop IDE interface these days) or a USB external would be much better and more reliable

From what I can see it's just a standard Matshita laptop drive, so it should work with normal discs anyway, the down side is that the Matshita laptop drives have always been crap, probably the worst drives out there so getting either a newer internal (harder to get with the laptop IDE interface these days) or a USB external would be much better and more reliable
The other thing that was never mentioned here either was that if Tray (OP) is going to be using that computer with the IDE interface, it won't have USB 3 anyway _ a new USB 3 external drive will all be for not.
Maybe he didn't mention it and he plans to get a new machine, but if he's going to do that why doesn't he get the new machine with Blu-ray burner/reader.

The other thing that was never mentioned here either was that if Tray (OP) is going to be using that computer with the IDE interface, it won't have USB 3 anyway _ a new USB 3 external drive will all be for not.
Maybe he didn't mention it and he plans to get a new machine, but if he's going to do that why doesn't he get the new machine with Blu-ray burner/reader.

My laptop has 1 USB 3 port

My laptop has 1 USB 3 port

Let everyone know what you get in the end and the results.

The best I get is 34 minutes to burn a 18.5 GB movie with my old LG USB burner. The Media I use won't allow more then 2x burning speed though.

I have been able to write self produced movies of my daughter's softball games through PD11 to both DVD+R & DVD-RW but have yet to get through the full writing process using CloneDVD2 or ImgBurn while trying to make copies of my copyrighted movies.

Got the Asus USB 3 BD burner yesterday and it worked like a charm with AnyDvd and Clonedvd2 straight out of the box! Need to learn how to use Imgburn now.

Got the Asus USB 3 BD burner yesterday and it worked like a charm with AnyDvd and Clonedvd2 straight out of the box! Need to learn how to use Imgburn now.

Lesson zero should be: If Imgburn recommends a setting, do it.

Imgburn is one excellent program, it works superbly "out of the box," and is so much better than nearly every other optical media burning program available. I have used it for years and other than a couple of very minor settings changes from the program's defaults I run it as "vanilla" as possible. I always verify a burn and shut the program down after a successful burn.

And the fact that it is free makes it even better. 8)

Back