• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Request AS crash w/ Internet went down

Status
Not open for further replies.

TubeBar

Today my internet dropped for a few minutes and AS crashed. When it came back my Queue was gone. Obviously AS should not crash during downloading if the internet connection drops.

One feature I'd like is that when AS closes it saves the Queue if it's unfinished. Not the end of the world but if you have a huge Queue it's a real pain putting it all back, trying to figure out where you left off.

Not sure a log file is needed? This should be repeatable if it happens to everyone.

Attachments

• AnyStream_1.6.0.0.astlog
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 1
There are several other tools and programs in play when the download and decoding is going on...any of which could cause a crash. I'm not sure it's preventable.
It is Windows after all. Anyway...several people have requested the queue be saved as you probably already know....I'll add my support for that.

I have had different programs freeze and lock-up the computer when the Internet dropped....I'd prefer the crash myself. It beats a reboot.

It is Windows after all.

I'd say that this is not related to Windows. This is another scenario where likely muxing in a separate thread would help a lot if it is there the problems is.

Muxing has nothing to do with the network dropping off. Everything is already downloaded and decrypted before muxing occurs...
I'm sure if it's caused by AS, it will be fixed.

Muxing has nothing to do with the network dropping off. Everything is already downloaded and decrypted before muxing occurs...
I'm sure if it's caused by AS, it will be fixed.
The muxing is done by AS, so it's an AS problem.
A crash is always an unhandled case, if you handle the case you can show an error instead of crashing.

Muxing has nothing to do with the network dropping off.

You referred to external programs being run.
What I mean is that this is a similar scenario as the muxing where things can run in a separate thread for better control.

Pro AS user tip. Don't load up your queue as its asking for trouble in a number of ways at this time. I typically don't put more than 1 or 2 seasons of something unless they are very short seasons. There are plenty of other tools to use for tracking what you want to find and frankly that is not what AS is designed for.

I suggest the below:
Code:
https://www.justwatch.com

I agree with that pro tip, I use it myself. But it is a band-aid and not a solution to it.

There are different ways to try to make sure that applications you write are as stable as possible. One way to test applications is by using Microsofts Application Verifier. By using that you can try to discover leaks and a number of different faults in binaries that may have sneaked in. I set it up with Anystream and didn't have to spend too much time before Application Verifier alerted about a heap leak in cefproc.exe, included with Anystream. I saw other things as well, but this one can be something. Since I of course don't have the source code or any symbols for it the further details are not possible to get.

Here's how I did if support/devs want to try to reproduce it.

The leaked heap allocation in cefproc.exe:
1) Start Application Verifier.
2) In the Applications Image Name part, right-click and select add application.
3) Select cefproc.exe in your Anystream install directory.
4) In the right tests part, use basics (default I think).
5) Click save.
6) Click Ok if mentioning about running in a debugger.
7) Now start Anystream.
Note: Application Verifier runs function hooking on cefproc.exe now,
Anystream may slow down to a crawl. If so wait it out. I added some stuff to
the queue and downloaded it using HBO and Prime in my tests.

8) After some testing, go back to Application Verifier.
9) Select View | Logs
10) You should see one or more log entries.
11) Do any of the log entries show an error count !=0?
If so, open it by selecting it and clicking the View button.
Otherwise test some more.

I also saw an invalid TLS index in Anystream.exe:
(Thread Local Storage)

In that case I selected Anystream.exe instead of
cefproc.exe. Otherwise it was the same as above.

Also, remember to remove the executables from Application
Verifier testing when done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back