• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question Apple iTunes Video DRM Removal?

wazza2

I have tried about a half dozen software programs that claim to remove DRM from an .mv4 file purchased from Apple and downloaded using the latest version of iTunes for Windows(x64). Using each software program's "trial mode" I attempted to either strip the DRM or convert the .mv4 file to a .mp4 file, with absolutely no success. Does anyone here have insight into how I can successfully strip DRM from an iTunes .mv4 video file or successfully convert the file to a universally playable file format, such as .mp4, etc.?

I been using DRmare M4V Converter for years now. It's always worked exactly as intended. Never had any problems with the application. That being said, I no longer have use for the application so I can't speak to how it fares currently. Worth checking out perhaps.

uh Apple :( I remember back in days it was the ONLY way to buy Digital Video and back then all you needed was iTunes 10 + Requiem, was free and easy! Do you want the bad news or good news first? I;'ll start with Good since I am having a bad day and could use some Good news ;)

What currently works (going by my set up):

iTunes 12.6.5.3 (x64): that's if you want to be able to access Japanese store, you could go a little higher. Not sure what it is.

TunesKit M4V Converter: You can't even buy it anymore, since it's Abandonware you maybe able to hunt down a copy on the net w/ a key. As the above post mention DRmare may work just as well.

Some newer movies cannot be downloaded w/ older iTunes (new releases like Super Mario Bros or GI Origins) and thus cannot be fully decrypted. The work around is download them w/ latest version but you can only decrypt 720 (1080 will not play at all). (VMware comes in handy here)

You need to uninstall and stay away from the latest iTunes and downgrade to at least the one I have. I know newer ones work but no idea where that limit is and locked out of Japanese store if you even care about that.

Also none of these programs are able to losslessly remove AAC audio for some reason and it's re-encoded (check the size in Media Info) but that's pretty minor since it's low quality anyway. Video, AC3 (if present) and Subs are all good.

BAD NEWS:

Apple is canceling iTunes, it's been long gone from the Mac since Mohave. It is being replaced w/ AppleTV+ App which you can actually download it from Windows store now.

The biggest issue w/ AppleTV+ app is Apple also decided to get rid of the m4v files, and replace them w/ a new format. They are HLS encrypted into MOVPKG package. Zero support for this DRM, and those files are limited to the app (itunes won't play them) and all you can do is limited air-play. Really stupid!

So it's time limited. Better get them decrypted now before the whole entire windows closes.

Though there is hope someone will crack the new DRM at some point.

Last edited:
Back