• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question AnyStream Newbie Subtitle Question

Robert Ron

I selected subtitles for several downloads. I was hoping the subtitles would have been embedded and selectable on or off. In each case, it created a separate ".ass" file. Is there a way to embed the subtitles in the actual MP4? If not, how do I associate that external file with the MP4 movie? When I play the movie from my computer (Windows 11 Movies & TV app) I am able to click the subtitle button on the lower left and select the subtitle file. But the subtitles still do not play. How do I include external subtitles when I stream the movie from a media server to my TV? Thanks for any help.

I do not know what a .ass file is in our subtitle selections. If you meant a .srt then you would have to change it to embedded in the settings.

You install mkvtoolnix and then just insert the translation into the container with the mp4 movie and then you will be able to play the movie on TV

if that doesn't work, then just call the movie and the translation the same name and then the TV will surely play that movie with the translation and you don't need to convert the SRT translation that you downloaded with anystream

I selected subtitles for several downloads. I was hoping the subtitles would have been embedded and selectable on or off. In each case, it created a separate ".ass" file. Is there a way to embed the subtitles in the actual MP4? If not, how do I associate that external file with the MP4 movie? When I play the movie from my computer (Windows 11 Movies & TV app) I am able to click the subtitle button on the lower left and select the subtitle file. But the subtitles still do not play. How do I include external subtitles when I stream the movie from a media server to my TV? Thanks for any help.
Whether or not you chose "embedded", if .ass is the format you selected or what the site offered, it is NOT compatible with MP4 files. It can't be embedded.
Use MKVToolNix to combine the two files into an MKV file.

To embed subtitles directly into an MP4 file, you'll need to use video editing software. However, keep in mind that this process will create a new video file with the subtitles burned into the video, and it won't be a reversible process. Here are steps you can follow:

Using HandBrake:​

1. Download and Install HandBrake:
    • Download and install HandBrake, a free and open-source video transcoder: HandBrake Website.
  2. Open HandBrake:
    • Launch HandBrake and click on the "Open Source" button to import your original video file.
  3. Choose Destination:
    • Choose a destination for your output file in the "Destination" section.
  4. Add Subtitles:
    • In the "Subtitles" tab, click on "Import SRT" and select the subtitle file you want to embed. HandBrake supports SRT subtitle files.
  5. Configure Subtitles:
    • Adjust the subtitle settings as needed (font, size, position, etc.).
  6. Start Encoding:
    • Click on the "Start Encode" button to begin the process. HandBrake will create a new video file with embedded subtitles.

Using FFmpeg (Command Line):​

If you prefer using FFmpeg, you can use the following command:

bashCopy code
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vf subtitles=subtitle.srt output.mp4

Replace input.mp4 with the name of your original video file, subtitle.srt with the name of your subtitle file, and output.mp4 with the desired output file name.

Associating External Subtitles:​

If you want to keep the subtitles as separate files and associate them during playback, ensure that the subtitle file has the same name as the video file (excluding the extension) and is in the same directory. For example:

• Movie.mp4
  • Movie.ass (or Movie.srt)
When playing the video on your computer using software like VLC, the player will automatically detect and display the associated subtitles if they are named correctly.

Streaming to TV:​

When streaming to your TV from a media server, the ability to use external subtitles depends on the capabilities of your media server and TV. Ensure that the media server supports streaming external subtitle files and that your TV's media player can recognize and display them.

Remember to check the documentation of your specific media server and TV model for detailed instructions on handling subtitles during streaming.

select .srt for subtitles in AS. when download finishes open mkvtoolnix. load the mp4 file. select it in the 'source file' (under 'file name'). then goto '+ add source files', click on the arrow next to it, click 'add files' (dont just click on 'add source files'!), select the .srt file. after it loads be sure there is a checkmark next to the subtitle in the 'tracks, chapters and tags'. click on 'start multiplexing'.

or you can use this batch file which is pretty rough since A) the .srt file has to have the exact same name as the .mp4 files (meaning, youd have to trim anything like 'en-us.cc' or anything similar from the .srt file you get with AS, e.g. both .mp4 and .srt have to ne named 'filename.mp4' and 'filename.srt' and not 'filename.en-us.cc.srt' etc). and B) im getting 'UND' (aka undefined) for language tab in the final .mp4 files. but, it works automatically, set it and forget it. mind you, finished files will be in a folder called 'fin' which will be in the same folder as your input files. if anyone can refine this batch file, that would be swell. i use this batch file to embbed .idx files into .mkv. i had a bunch of .idx files that were wrongly tagged as GER but they were EN, so i used notepad to replace all GER instances in the .idx file with EN, and then used the batch file to embbed them into mkvs. (all i did here in this batch file for srt is replace *.mkv with *.mp4 and ~dpnA.idx with ~dpnA.srt).

open notepad. paste this code (i dont even know which code this is, so if any mods can format it, feel free, lol):

@Echo off
FOR %%A IN (*.mp4) DO "C:\Program Files\MKVToolNix\mkvmerge.exe" -o ".\Fin\%%A" "%%~A" "%%~dpnA.srt"
pause

click save. rename the output .txt file to .bat. copy the .bat file to the folder that contains your input files (mp4 and srt). execute.

Back