• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD & TV Shows: Req for Suggestions

teknomedic

I'm using the trial of AnyDVD HD while I consider buying. I'm currently ripping my TV show DVDs and it's going "ok".

Three questions...

1) Is there a setting for me to rip the VOB files based on episodes and extras??? (ie, episode1.vob, episode2.vob, extra1.vob, hiddeneasteregg1.vob, etc, etc??) ...or are my only two options ISO or ripping the directory structure with "Video_TS" and 1.0GB VOB files....

2) If there's no way to do the above... then are there any plans to add a "chapter" or "episode" type of extraction of VOB files?? ((This can be done with DVDFab, and it's what I've been using so far... but it adds an extra step that I feel AnyDVD should be able to do))..... and if no plans... why not??

3) Any suggestions about another program that will do what I need (instead of DVDFab) to split up episodes and extras into their own VOB files (perhaps even free)??

(((Finally... I should add that I'd rather not sit and select each episode/chapter one at a time and then extract (similar to DVD Decrypter's method)... DVDFab reads the entire structure or ISO and then allows me to select and que up the episodes/chapters I need... then will extract them all as a batch into the needed VOB files)))

Thank you

Also... please don't suggest ripping/converting the episodes directly to another container like MP4 or AVI. I need "untouched" VOB files so that I can load into my good encoding software. ((yes, I see the slight irony in ripping a VOB from a DVD and then splitting it only to call it "untouched" ;)))

Last edited:
Um... unless I'm missing something...

I don't want to convert anything... I just want the episodes to be pulled from the "master VOB" file off the DVD and placed onto my HDD in smaller "episode VOB" files.

Perhaps I wasn't clear earlier...

I'm trying to make the TWO STEP process I'm currently using (use AnyDVD to rip DVD... then use DVDFab to split VOBs)

...and make it a ONE STEP process...

something like... use AnyDVD to pull chapter VOBs from disc ((instead of making an ISO first))

The program DVD Decrypter comes close... as it will load up into an "IFO" mode so that you can see the separate chapters/episodes. The only reason I can't use it are, 1 it's old and out dated... and 2... I have to select and then rip each episode one at a time. There's no batch process or way to select several chapters for extraction.

Last edited:
CloneDVD might do what I need (don't see CloneDVD Mobile doing it though)... Not sure this will work for Bluray discs though. ????

If I use AnyDVD in the background to remove encryptions... can CloneDVD simply be run to extract the separate chapters automatically???

I'll trial that in the mean time....

Last edited:
Yes, you can use CloneDVD to rip individual episodes on the DVD into seperate VOB files. You have to do it one episode at a time though. Makes converting them into a different format very easy ( I use AutoMKV which does a great job).

CloneDVD will not work with Bluray discs. You will need Slyce, Slysoft's forthcoming Bluray ripper and converter.

OK... so...

Have to wait for Bluray support....

CloneDVD Can batch rip the titles in a DVD... but it doesn't make a distinction of "start/end" for an episode using batch... so... as you say, I must select each episode one at a time. This is of course what I'm trying to avoid. hmmm...

Makes my next question kinda pointless I guess since CloneDVD isn't the product I need, but here it is anyway...

Can CloneDVD run stand alone??... ie, do I still need AnyDVD to remove protections before ripping with CloneDVD... or can CloneDVD read/rip any inserted DVD??

So... are there ANY OTHER programs similar to CloneDVD or DVDFab that will play nice with AnyDVD and allow batch ripping of separate episodes???

You still need AnyDVD to remove protection when using CloneDVD

Too much rambling about VOB, Blu-Ray and DVDfab. Thread moved from the AnyDVD support forum.

Can CloneDVD run stand alone??... ie, do I still need AnyDVD to remove protections before ripping with CloneDVD... or can CloneDVD read/rip any inserted DVD??

No, AnyDVD does one thing first. It removes the protection from he dvd. Without it, Clonedvd couldn't do its thing. So, in a sense you answered your own question. Clonedvd probably could copy a dvd that was home made with no protection. But what you are asking, no.

Thanks for moving... I posted in AnyDVD side since I'm looking for a ripper that will play nice with AnyDVD.

When I load DVDFab it complains that I need to disable AnyDVD.

So... still looking for a program that will batch rip episodes as I described that will work with AnyDVD.

...also wondering why this feature wasn't built into AnyDVD or CloneDVD... who wants to sit and select/rip one episode at a time?

Thanks for moving... I posted in AnyDVD side since I'm looking for a ripper that will play nice with AnyDVD.

So... still looking for a program that will batch rip episodes as I described that will work with AnyDVD.

...also wondering why this feature wasn't built into AnyDVD or CloneDVD... who wants to sit and select/rip one episode at a time?

In response to your batch rip question, If I'm not mistaken, search the CloneDVD forum. I recall a link / file / something that allows user to do a Command line batch request. If its gone or has been removed from support please forgive my ignorance.

IMHO, Using Slysoft products for protecting your discs/investments are far superior then the multitudes that I have bought and wished I didn't.

AnydvdHD is a protection removal program that allows you access to you dvd/BD. It is not meant to be used as a batch ripper or compression program. Thats why certain things you want (sep. episode to vob rips) are not in it. For programs that dont play nice with AnydvdHD , there is an option in the settings to enable AGRESSIVE I/O mode, but is highly suggested to not use it if at all possible. Right Clicking the option will give you some help on it.

CloneDVD will let you rip your episodes into sep .vob's, but you have to do it one by one unless the command line batch option is still available.
CloneDVDmobile will do the whole disc at once but you don't want the reduce resolution if I understand you correctly.

As far as what program will work best with AnydvdHD & let you do your thing, SLYCE is coming, but it may be a little bit as it takes time for Slysoft to ensure their high quality programming, attention to detail, and prfessionalism is just right for us Consumers.

The majority of consumers out there dont need or care for sep. episode batch ripping. Thats why we are a UNIQUE breed. Our tools must be specialized.

I will post back if I find the link to the command line file for CloneDVD.

Here I found the CloneDVD link for possible command line batch ripping for you, Its not a supported function, but maybe some things in there will help. Good Luck!.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=31897

Thank you for the helpful reply. I'll test out the command line program you found.

As a side note, after a day or two of testing with DVDFab and AnyDVD... it seems that leaving AnyDVD running to remove protections and then using DVDFab's VOB pass-through option to rip directly from DVD and to split the VOBs into titles/episodes hasn't produced any errors or problems I can see.

I'm not sure if this will work with all my DVDs, but it's working ATM.

I know AnyDVD is helping in this case as DVDFab wasn't even able to load the disc without AnyDVD running.

Hopefully Slyce will be exactly what I need for both DVD and Blurays... can't wait to see how it turns out.

Thank you again. :)

I just did a test now, First, You will need to wait for SLYCE to do BluRays. Second, DVD resolutions are no more then 720 X 480 If Im not wrong. So it should be simple...

1. Have ANYdvdHD installed and running
2. Have CloneDVDmobile installed and running.
3. Insert your dvd, let anydvdHD work its magic then...
4. SELECT .VOB PASS THROUGH at the initial Clonedvdmobile screen , Click next...
5. SELECT the dvd at the "TITLE CONFIGURATION" screen, when the disc loads, select the Chapters/Extras you want to rip & click next...
6. UNCHECK any unwanted Streams/Subtitles, etc... you dont want on the "AUDIO & SUBTITLES SETTINGS" Screen , Click next...
7. On the "Output Method" screen select the "Produce separate chapter files", name your file and select the location where you want it to go and click GO.

You will get Separate VOB files all named in succession. ie; If you named your file "FUTURAMA S4D1" you will get FUTURAMA S4D1T1.vob, then *******T2.vob, and so on with no Loss of quality for DVD's only.

I very seldom get any errors with any Slysoft programs.

While your doing your DVD's, Slyce gets ever closer to reality.

Hope it helps and I didn't waste your time.

Last edited:
You certainly didn't waste my time... so CloneDVD Mobile has a VOB pass-through?.... wish they'd mention that on the description page.

Credit to FurryGuy for first suggesting CloneDVD Mobile... wish you would have explained the reasons for the suggestion instead of just tossing out a link. ;)

I also just attempted with DVD Shrink v3.2... that works as needed using the Re-Author option and adjusting the size to far beyond normal DVD so that DVD Shrink doesn't try to re-encode/downsize. Outputting to my HDD gives me correctly split VOB files that I can then rename and place into my encoding software.

So now it seems we have three programs to choose from with AnyDVD running to do batched VOB title ripping with correct splits for episodes...
--CloneDVD Mobile using VOB pass-through
--DVD Shrink (using re-author and ripping to HDD)
--...and the less attractive option... DVDFab using VOB pass-through.

Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited:
Back