• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD Log File

blacklash

I'm kind of new to using AnyDVD. Does anyone know if the log file for a rip includes sectors that were unreadable in it if there were any? For example, if I know read errors will occur from a DVD or Blu Ray because there a scratch on it, will the log tell me which sectors were unreadable because of that? Is there also an option to set how many retries/attempts to read it until skipping the bad sector? Also, if it skips over that one bad sector, how many sectors will it jump over it? If possible, I don't want any sectors jumped because good ones may be skipped over as well, as with many other software that already/still do this.

Does anyone know if the log file for a rip includes sectors that were unreadable in it if there were any?
You can always look at the log file when AnyDVD HD fails because it can't read the disk. What dif does it make if it lists the sectors it can't copy? You can always just use Windows explorer to copy the files or do an ISO copy using ImgBURN and it should let you know which files it crashes on while copying. It's not like you can pick and choose sectors to leave out, or at least I don't think you can. A bad rip is a bad rip, but some times if you are lucky the main movie can be removed from the disk because it isn't where the bad places are.

Of course the logfile includes the problematic sectors. How else would the staff determine if it's an actual defective disc based on read errors or a new copy protection that simulates read errors ;) Not only the logfile will tell you the sectors. AnyDVD itself will to via a popup. There's no option to configure how many retries as afaik anydvd will straight up ask you what to do from the retry attempt. Read errors usually are more than 1 sector, so if for example ripping went fine from sector 001 to 025, failed at 026 to 134, then anydvd will jump from sector 25 to sector 135. 135 being the next reported good sector.

Do note: if you tell anydvd to skip sectors, then even though the rip should "complete" fine then. There's no guarantee you will have a working backup. The problematic area can be anywhere from menu loading, over menu settings to main title or bonus features. AnyDVD has no way to know where it's going to be or what the impact will be.

Of course the logfile includes the problematic sectors. How else would the staff determine if it's an actual defective disc based on read errors or a new copy protection that simulates read errors ;) Not only the logfile will tell you the sectors. AnyDVD itself will to via a popup. There's no option to configure how many retries as afaik anydvd will straight up ask you what to do from the retry attempt. Read errors usually are more than 1 sector, so if for example ripping went fine from sector 001 to 025, failed at 026 to 134, then anydvd will jump from sector 25 to sector 135. 135 being the next reported good sector.

Do note: if you tell anydvd to skip sectors, then even though the rip should "complete" fine then. There's no guarantee you will have a working backup. The problematic area can be anywhere from menu loading, over menu settings to main title or bonus features. AnyDVD has no way to know where it's going to be or what the impact will be.
Thank you for your answer. Would be really nice if the development team could add a feature to allow users to set how many retries they would like to reread a sector that might not have been necessarily a "bad" or "fake" sector. Because sometimes it might just be dirt or fingerprints on the disc, skipping them might be a shame if they can be read after 2-3 retries. Those who want a perfect ISO or BDMV might have to rip it again if it didn't go through perfectly the first time.

Thank you for your answer. Would be really nice if the development team could add a feature to allow users to set how many retries they would like to reread a sector that might not have been necessarily a "bad" or "fake" sector. Because sometimes it might just be dirt or fingerprints on the disc, skipping them might be a shame if they can be read after 2-3 retries. Those who want a perfect ISO or BDMV might have to rip it again if it didn't go through perfectly the first time.
AnyDVD does several retries, including seeking to "unlock" a stubborn drive.

@ blacklash, RE: Because sometimes it might just be dirt or fingerprints on the disc, skipping them might be a shame if they can be read after 2-3 retries.

When I have a problematic disk and AnyDVD HD stops I just eject the disk and try cleaning it really well and put in back in the drive and after it spins up I continue the rip. AnyDVD HD is happy to try the rip again right where it left off, and sometime just cleaning it with good old soap and water is enough to get past the errors. If not I just try to do a "Movie Only" rip with using BD Rebuilder or CloneBD.

Thanks for the answers. I hope AnyDVD doesn't try to "fix" the unreadable sectors like what other programs on the market does. I like to keep everything as true to the original source as possible. I'd rather have that one sector skipped rather than have it modify or create its own representation/idea of that the sector might have been.

Back