• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD HD Release 6.6.2.3

Charlie

AnyDVD HD 6.6.2.3
  • New (HD DVD & Blu-ray): Faster response time when changing settings during scan in progress
  • New (Blu-ray): Updated decryption keys
  • New (Blu-ray): Added support for new BD+ protections
  • New (Blu-ray): Added support for new structural protection
  • New (Blu-ray): Added workaround for District 9 (US) playback problem with PowerDVD
  • New (DVD): Added support for new protections
  • New (DVD): CSS archive now stores layer break VTS key for increased performance
  • New (DVD): CSS keys are always stored, regardless of the "Use CSS archive" setting
  • New (DVD): Added workaround to AnyDVD ripper for "Angel & Demons (rental)", Japan
  • New: Added more info to logfile
  • New: Information window while AnyDVD is scanning discs
  • New: Option to enable / disable this window
  • New: Workaround for problems with some VMs and certain drives
  • New: Create logfiles for empty drives
  • New: Better handling of "files in use" during installation
  • Change (DVD): CSS archive is enabled by default
  • Change: Replaced AnyDVD "Safe Mode" with "Aggressive I/O Mode".
  • Note: Aggressive I/O mode is disabled by default. It might be required with some 3rd party software.
    Please report which programs require it. Thank you!
  • New: Added warning message, if applications requiring "Aggressive I/O Mode" are installed
  • New: Added option to disable the "Aggressive I/O Mode" warning message
  • Fix (DVD): AI scanner removed non-existant copy protection from "Tomorrow Never Dies", US
  • Fix (DVD): AI scanner could mess up chapters with some discs, e.g. "Odyssey 5", UK
  • Fix: Driver verifier problem with ElbyCDIO.sys
  • Fix: Driver verifier problem with AnyDVD.sys
  • Fix: Various potential crashes
  • Fix: Changing a disc could be missed while AnyDVD is scanning a disc in another drive
  • Fix: Disabling power saving didn't always work
  • Some minor fixes and improvements
  • Updated languages
Download: http://www.slysoft.com/download.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This version is broken: It is not able to upgrade from the previous version or even to uninstall itself. It looks like AnyDVDTray.exe *32 is the culprit: Setup/Uninstall does not seem to stop this task, so during setup, some files cannot be copied, and during uninstall, they cannot be deleted because AnyDVDTray.exe *32 locks them.
After uninstall, I stopped manually the task and was then able to delete the remnants of the SlySoft folder in %ProgramFiles% and install the new version properly.
I checked it twice, the AnyDVDTray.exe *32 task was still running after uninstall both times.

System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

One of the previous releases also had the exact same problem, I did not bother to upgrade at the time and waited for the following release, but since it happens again, you may want to check your test suite before releasing new versions.

BTW, a nice feature to add would be a checkbox "Automatically download and install new versions". With the frequency of your releases, it's a pain to upgrade with about 12 steps to run manually:
- Validate dialog box announcing the new version
- Select AnyDVD from generic Download web page
- Click Save to save the setup exe on the disk
- Open Windows Explorer
- Locate the Download folder
- Double-click on the setup exe
- Validate UAC dialog box
- Several screens of setup wizard (which stupidly does not memorize setup settings such as no Desktop icon or ask in which Start menu group to add the Slysoft group)
It should install transparently in the background if users choose so, with just a notification pop-up that it's done. My 2 cents.

This version is broken: It is not able to upgrade from the previous version or even to uninstall itself. It looks like AnyDVDTray.exe *32 is the culprit: Setup/Uninstall does not seem to stop this task, so during setup, some files cannot be copied, and during uninstall, they cannot be deleted because AnyDVDTray.exe *32 locks them.
After uninstall, I stopped manually the task and was then able to delete the remnants of the SlySoft folder in %ProgramFiles% and install the new version properly.
I checked it twice, the AnyDVDTray.exe *32 task was still running after uninstall both times.

System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

One of the previous releases also had the exact same problem, I did not bother to upgrade at the time and waited for the following release, but since it happens again, you may want to check your test suite before releasing new versions.

BTW, a nice feature to add would be a checkbox "Automatically download and install new versions". With the frequency of your releases, it's a pain to upgrade with about 12 steps to run manually:
- Validate dialog box announcing the new version
- Select AnyDVD from generic Download web page
- Click Save to save the setup exe on the disk
- Open Windows Explorer
- Locate the Download folder
- Double-click on the setup exe
- Validate UAC dialog box
- Several screens of setup wizard (which stupidly does not memorize setup settings such as no Desktop icon or ask in which Start menu group to add the Slysoft group)
It should install transparently in the background if users choose so, with just a notification pop-up that it's done. My 2 cents.

As James announced earlier, there will be an auto-update feature soon.

Best Regards,
BurnerHEAD

What is exactly broken on this update? It updated with absolutely no problems. Is this strictly a Window 7 problem? :confused:

What is exactly broken on this update? It updated with absolutely no problems. Is this strictly a Window 7 problem? :confused:

Nope on Win 7 Ultimate x64 no issues. User has a unique issue and it is easiest to blame AnyDVD HD.

It might be linked to x64 rather than Vista or Windows 7.
My guess is that x64 scenarios may not be tested thoroughly.

I can repro over and over again, I just did it for the 3rd time right now:
- Install 6.6.0.9
- Run 6.6.2.3 setup

Results:
- The process "AnyDVDtray.exe *32" is not closed
- File "c:\Program Files (x86)\Slysoft\AnyDVD\AnyDialog.dll" cannot be overwritten (most likely because it is locked by the x32 AnyDVDtray process). A dialog box says the file cannot be open for writing and proposes to abort setup, skip the file or try again, which never works.
- Same for file "AnyDVDtray.exe" (if you choose to ignore the error on previous file)

If I check the 2 files' version number after installation of 6.6.2.3, they still show 6.6.0.9.
If I terminate the AnyDVDtray process and uninstall AnyDVD, then I can reinstall without error. I suppose I can also force the upgrade if I terminate that process when the first error box appears and click on Retry.

Did you upgrade from 6.6.0.9 too?
Maybe a reboot issue?
I don't have an answer, but I can repro systematically.

I usually never have problems upgrading, only with this versions combination and another one about 2 months ago. I have been upgrading every time a notification pops up for over 10 months.

Did you upgrade from 6.6.0.9 too?
Maybe a reboot issue?
I don't have an answer, but I can repro systematically.

I usually never have problems upgrading, only with this versions combination and another one about 2 months ago. I have been upgrading every time a notification pops up for over 10 months.

Just tried it twice: Windows 7 ultimate x64, installed 6.6.0.9, then 6.6.2.3.
Once with disc inserted, once without.
No problem, there.

Well, let's forget about it for now if it's only me. I'll report if it happens again in the future. Still, you might want to check how this tray task is stopped during uninstall and log it.

Well, let's forget about it for now if it's only me. I'll report if it happens again in the future. Still, you might want to check how this tray task is stopped during uninstall and log it.

The issue you reported was fixed in a beta version between 6.6.0.9 and 6.6.2.3 and I reported to James also a couple of times even after the fix was applied and his final reponse is, that the problem is definitely on your end. Some application, might it be virus-scanner or defragmentation or backup solution program or any other that controls access to certain files!

For me it works nowadays. But can't tell you exactly what solved the problem. Just got rid of a few stuff.

Best Regards,
BurnerHEAD

Is it slower? 1 Minute and 50 seconds seems a bit much for a regular DVD. I took this time with "Queer as Folk" season 2 DVD 2. I'm used to wait just a few seconds.
Code:
Summary for drive R: (AnyDVD 6.6.2.3)
PHILIPS DVDR1640P P3.7 
Drive (Hardware) Region: 2

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2075104 sectors (4052 MBytes)
Total size: 4149449 sectors (8104 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: QUEER_AS_FOLK
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Structural copy protection not found.
RCE protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

The issue you reported was fixed in a beta version between 6.6.0.9 and 6.6.2.3 and I reported to James also a couple of times even after the fix was applied and his final reponse is, that the problem is definitely on your end. Some application, might it be virus-scanner or defragmentation or backup solution program or any other that controls access to certain files!

For me it works nowadays. But can't tell you exactly what solved the problem. Just got rid of a few stuff.

Best Regards,
BurnerHEAD
I see, so it's a known issue after all, not just on my computer. Thanks for the info.
If it has been fixed, and apparently flimsily at that, I am not surprised to see it happen again. It might be useful to know what the fix consisted of.

I don't have any application that could cause this problem and the machine was freshly rebooted when the bug first occurred.
My anti-virus (BitDefender) would certainly not prevent the termination of a Windows process during uninstall, and not at 3 different times, 2 of them a couple of hours apart.
It is not another program that locks these 2 files, it is AnyDVD itself, the infamous "AnyDVDtray.exe *32" task.

In any case, it is AnyDVD's responsibility to check that all processes that are supposed to be terminated during the upgrade are correctly terminated, or wait a while and retry. There is nothing the user can do about that, and 90% of users will not even understand that it is caused by that unterminated task. Just saying... ^-^

Well, I don't want to make a big deal about it: As I said, let's wait and see if it repros in future versions. At least there is an easy workaround: Just terminate the process from Task Manager manually when the error box appears and click Retry.

Last edited:
Is it slower? 1 Minute and 50 seconds seems a bit much for a regular DVD. I took this time with "Queer as Folk" season 2 DVD 2.
Same here, even longer. DVD 1 & 3 were almost instant, though. Maybe check with the previous version?

It's only you. Please post a logfile (empty drive is fine).

Hi James, here's my log file.
I also tried disabling BitDefender real-time protection, and this apparently did the trick, the update works like a charm without BitDefnder, so BurnerHEAD was right about that.
I tried twice without BitDefender and it updated fine. I tried another 5 times with BitDefender enabled, and it failed 4 times, worked once.

Shortly before the error message appeared, setup was running a AnyDVDtray.exe task that took several seconds to complete, I attached the screenshot showing the task.
I assume that it is the task that is supposed to terminate the process before the update, because the process was still running after that and then the error message stating it could not overwrite the file appeared.
It looks like this task failed but setup continued, disregarding this error.

This task to terminate the process is run from a temp folder, so I assume it is the folder created when extracting the setup file, which might explain why BitDefender impacts the update, real-time protection would naturally scan all the newly extracted files.
You probably need to kill the process in a standard way, not by running a AnyDVDtray.exe command, if that's what it is.

In any case, real-time anti-virus protection is essential for security, it is not something that the user should disable, especially to run executables downloaded from Internet. You'll need to fix this bug if you plan to create automatic updates as someone mentioned earlier.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.6.2.3_Info_E_EMPTY_DRIVE.zip
    9.3 KB · Views: 2
  • LongTask.jpg
    LongTask.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hi James, here's my log file.

I suspect the cause is a security software which prevents the installer to enumerate / open / terminate processes.

BitDefender seems to be omnipresent:

Code:
Loaded modules in AnyDVD process:

midas32.dll (C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\Active Virus Control\midas64-v2_46\midas32.dll)
plugin_base.m32 (C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\Active Virus Control\midas64-v2_46\plugin_base.m32)
plugin_nt.m32 (C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\Active Virus Control\midas64-v2_46\plugin_nt.m32)
plugin_registry.m32 (C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\Active Virus Control\midas64-v2_46\plugin_registry.m32)
plugin_extra.m32 (C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\Active Virus Control\midas64-v2_46\plugin_extra.m32)
plugin_net.m32 (C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\Active Virus Control\midas64-v2_46\plugin_net.m32)
plugin_fragments.m32 (C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\Active Virus Control\midas64-v2_46\plugin_fragments.m32)

Can you please test, if installing AnyDVD 6.6.2.3 on top of itself exhibits the same problem?

If yes, can you disable BitDefender and try again?

See my previous reply, I edited it while you were replying, sorry for that.
It's a lack of integration with virus scan software indeed, maybe specifically BitDefender.

Back