• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD (HD) 6.5.5.4 beta

James

Redfox Development Team
Staff member
Safe for everyone to try:

6.5.5.4 2009 05 21
- New (Blu-ray): Added support for new BD+ protections
- New (DVD): AI scanner improved
- New: Added Windows 7 detection to sysinfo.txt
- Change: AnyDVD beta versions can no longer be evaluated
- Fix: AnyDVD did not work correctly, if the drive letters A, B or C
were assigned to optical drives
- Some minor fixes and improvements

http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupAnyDVD6554.exe

What does "Change: AnyDVD beta versions can no longer be evaluated" mean? Can anyone explain it.

Also keep up with excellent job you are doing.

I presume that means you now can't use a beta version as a free trial for 21 days. If you own a license key, this won't apply, of course.

I presume that means you now can't use a beta version as a free trial for 21 days. If you own a license key, this won't apply, of course.
This is correct. :agree:

How is that new? From all the past complaints by evaulators, I thought it was always that way. (Of course, it doesn't affect either of my AnyDVD licenses--HD for the desktop, regular for the laptop; both pre-subscription.)

How is that new? From all the past complaints by evaulators, I thought it was always that way. (Of course, it doesn't affect either of my AnyDVD licenses--HD for the desktop, regular for the laptop; both pre-subscription.)

Previously trial users had full use of AnyDVD when it came to SD DVDs. For AnyDVD HD trial users if the software didn't already possess the necessary decryption keys it wasn't allowed to contact the Slysoft server to retrieve the needed keys. AnyDVD HD worked fine for previously released BDs for which the necessary keys were already intergrated into AnyDVD HD. Now, trial users cannot use bea releases at all. They must use official releases and this pertains to both AnyDVD and AnyDVD HD.

Last edited:
does this mean that the official releases will now only come out at a period of greater than 21 days ? i like that idea, all those guys on the german forum section who have been using a trial for 6 months and more will no longer be able to wait a couple of days for the next update.

How are they able to use a "trial" for 6 months and more????

No one is going to specifically answer that question and if anyone does they'll be in trouble. In short, anyone doing this is circumventing the purpose of the trial version being limited to 21 days. It's people like that who wind up hurting the innocent users.

How are they able to use a "trial" for 6 months and more????
They shouldn't be, but of course AnyDVD has to store the information how much of your trial period you have used on your PC. This data is cleverly hidden (no details here, of course), but if anyone manages to find out how AnyDVD does it, it is possible to reset it, thus making the trial never expire.

Clearly enough, such behaviour is strongly discouraged.

Also, as per this post: http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=199186&postcount=2, a trial beta isn't allowed to access the update server so there's even less reason for them to be allowed to be evaluated. However, I also think that not allowing people to evaluate betas will put pressure on Slysoft to release stable releases less than 21 days apart. You'd have to go back to September-October of last year when that didn't happen.

Circumventing the trail versions

my two cents - why aren't people just grateful for software(and those who develop it) that allows them to backup their disks so they don't have to go out and buy another copy? to me it's just like folks who use their expertise to hack into others computers - why not just pay for a license instead of 'getting away' with something?:D

Last edited by a moderator:
...why not just pay for a license instead of 'getting away' with something?:D
Because they can, because for some people even the lowest price is too high especially if converted into their national currency, because they don't have the means to pay, because a timer is not the only restrictions imposed on a trial etc. I'm not trying to justify it, but to me it seems too dismissive to say "...why not just pay..." because there are reasons why some people don't.

I'm not trying to justify it, but to me it seems too dismissive to say "...why not just pay..." because there are reasons why some people don't.

And yet, these same people can be quite happy to spend hundreds/thousands on the hardware to play BD's/games etc. :)

And yet, these same people can be quite happy to spend hundreds/thousands on the hardware to play BD's/games etc. :)
Bigger things matter more than smaller things. Just because someone is happy to spend a fat wad of cash on one thing doesn't mean they're cool with spending significantly less on another. Anyway, this is going off-topic. If Slysoft will continue to pump out stable releases with their usual frequency then even trialists will be happy.

...but I was very pleased to see someone caught with their hand in the cooky jar...
I'm sure it won't stop that person from using AnyDVD. One can also say that the wider the userbase for beta testing the more rigorous it is therefore it makes better software, but that's a new kettle of fish and isn't for this thread.

I don't have the means to pay - but i did somehow

Because they can, because for some people even the lowest price is too high especially if converted into their national currency, because they don't have the means to pay, because a timer is not the only restrictions imposed on a trial etc. I'm not trying to justify it, but to me it seems too dismissive to say "...why not just pay..." because there are reasons why some people don't.

I am on a fixed income - I use to work as a carpenter and before that a chemist, then my back broke; my wife has a similar story. We have bills we barely meet, but somehow I managed to squeeze out for a lifetime license (to save $$) - for those who continually extend their trial - they are ripping me off too, someone has to pay for the development costs, upkeep and then some profit for those who put it together, I was born in a time when one was supposed to pull one's own weight; which I don't do entirely anymore, but anyway you cut it someone has to pay. IMGBURN is freeware, but I'm sure many donate out of gratitude and to help lightning uk keep up his work, nothing in this world is free..monetarily or otherwise - in my opinion...

There isn't a way to rationalize stealing the software and anyone attempting to is simply pathetic. A lifetime license for AnyDVD HD is 109 EUR (94.5566 GBP). A new release from Amazon UK retails at roughly 25 GBP without out any discounts or sales drops. So, 4 brand new retail BDs would cost roughly 100 GBP which is slightly more than AnyDVD HD at ~95 GBP. How about people buy 4 less BD releases and pay for the software to begin with? Sorry, I can't find any sympathy for people who will spend 100 GBP on BDs yet rationalize stealing software.

I do understand that some people live on a fixed income and that AnyDVD HD is a luxury. We all have to prioritize our lives and our income and decide what expenditures are more important. If AnyDVD HD is too expensive then users might have to wait to save up the money or grab it when there is a discount going on. What people cannot do is complain that the price is too high and then turn around and spend loads of money on actual movies yet try to claim that they simply cannot afford AnyDVD HD.

if buying anydvd is a luxury (and I agree that it can be so for many people) then buying DVDs disks and players, buying blanks, buying a burner, etc is much more of a luxury. If you don't have the money for paying for this program then you shouldn't be renting, buying, burning, etc.

I understand there are "some pseudo-crucial reasons" why some people would use pirated copies of software, i.e. students trying to learn a programing language, illustration software, editing software.... in general very expensive programs that very few individuals can afford but once learned will probably be be the base for their professional career thus encouraging future sales.

I am not condoning the above it but one cannot say that anydvd is pirated/used by poor kids that want to learn how to backup their expensive DVDs collections.

Back