• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD (HD) 6.4.8.5 released

James

Redfox Development Team
Staff member
6.4.8.5 2008 11 16
- New: Added option to enable/disable creation of .dvd file to image ripper
- New (DVD): Added support for new protections
- New (Blu-ray): New error code if BD+ can't be removed yet
- New: Updated ElbyCDIO, improved compatibility with 3rd party drivers
- Change (Blu-ray): Memory access of driver, may fix various problems
- Fix (Blu-ray): Sometimes .dvd files were created with wrong media type
- Some minor fixes and improvements
- Updated languages

http://static.slysoft.com/SetupAnyDVD.exe

Last edited by a moderator:
Creation of .dvd file?

What does the new option, to enable/disable creation of .dvd file to image ripper do?

I mean, why should I choose to check the "Create additional .dvd file" box? What added benefit will this give me? Is it some kind of checksum facility?

Best regards
MaxSmacks AKA Henrik (DK)

What does the new option, to enable/disable creation of .dvd file to image ripper do?

I mean, why should I choose to check the "Create additional .dvd file" box? What added benefit will this give me? Is it some kind of checksum facility?

Best regards
MaxSmacks AKA Henrik (DK)

In the past the .DVD file was needed for mounting HD-DVDs and BDs when using Virtual CloneDrive. The file contained the MediaType of the ISO image and told Virtual CloneDrive what type of image it was mounting. The latest beta of Virtual CloneDrive now detects the UDF directly from the ISO image so the .DVD file is no longer necessary. The option to not create the .DVD file was added.

This only applies to HD/BD users with AnyDVD HD. I must again stress that users shouldn't use the AnyDVD ripper Rip to Image... method on SD DVD discs. It wasn't intended for SD DVDs and does not function the same as Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... method.

Last edited:
Thank you, James.

I know you folks have been working very hard recently to keep this program updated.

It's appreciated.

I must again stress that users shouldn't use the AnyDVD ripper Rip to Image... method on SD DVD discs. It wasn't intended for SD DVDs and does not function the same as Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... method.

Why don't you all just disable the rip to .iso feature unless using AnyDVD in HD mode? That'll solve it once and for all.

-W

Why don't you all just disable the rip to .iso feature unless using AnyDVD in HD mode? That'll solve it once and for all.

-W

Actually, I've already suggested/requested just that. The decision is up to the developers, of course.

Last edited:
Perhaps when the "Rip to Image" was selected, it would be a "wiser" decision to simply have a pop-up disclaimer say that the DVD detected has structural protection and you should instead select "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk". The user could then have the option of continuing to use "Rip to Image" if so desired.

"Rip to Image" works very well with DVDs that don't have structural protection, and AnyDVD is capable of completely removing structural protection from many of the protected DVDs through "Rip to Image". There are a few that it has problems with, but, from what I can tell, many images are just as good as the "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk". Even some of the images that still have some type of residual protection, still play with no problems.

When I copy, I usually just do a "Rip to Image", and then I use ImgBurn to burn the ISO image. I prefer 1:1 copies, so I use DVD+R DL when applicable. What "Rip to Image" offers is an easy convenient way of cloning with just two simple steps: 1. "Rip to Image" 2. Burn with ImgBurn. Super simple.

Why would anyone want to take away such a fantastic capability just because there are some inexperienced users who haven't figured out what they're supposed to do yet? In my opinion, it would be a crying shame. That's why I suggest the helpful/instructional disclaimer, as opposed to disabling an extrememly useful feature for those who know what they are doing. Or, it could be an "advanced" feature that could be turned on and off in the settings. I think that a total disabling of this feature would be quite depressing.

Me, myself, and I, and probably many many others, waited for "Rip to Image" for a long long time.

I vote KEEP "Rip to Image". Please, for the sake of humanity.

az_raiden

Perhaps when the "Rip to Image" was selected, it would be a "wiser" decision to simply have a pop-up disclaimer say that the DVD detected has structural protection and you should instead select "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk".

That was also suggested.

Me, myself, and I, and probably many many others, waited for "Rip to Image" for a long long time.

I see what you're saying.... but when a freeware program like DVDShrink can take the AnyDVD rip and convert it to an image in <4 minutes... I'm forced to weigh that time against all the support time wasted on people misusing it as the primary rip. And if I had to make that call... I'd disable it and save myself HOURS - so that you could waste 4 minutes. :)

-W

Back