• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD + Handbrake, wildy varied file sizes

DQ

So I have used AnyDVD and Handbrake together for years. I just bought a disc set on DVD I am ripping and I am seeing something I have not seen before. The file sizes vary wildly with the same exact settings.

So maybe episode 1 is 1.5GB, Episode 2 is 800MB and Episode 3 is 600MB and so on.

I have not ever seen this before. And this is all from the same set , same settings with the episodes being about the same duration.

This is a set filed in the 90's which I know seem to have so wacky quality so I am chalking it up to that but I am curious of anyone else has a better explanation.

What specific settings do you have set?
I must admit I'm not a Handbrake pro ... I use it's fork Vidcoder which fits my needs better.
But from there I can tell there's basically 3 settings: target filesize, target bitrate, target quality
For the first two you should get similar filesizes with the same video length.
The third on the other hand tries to keep a certain quality where the bitrate and thus filesize can vary greatly depending on video content.

What specific settings do you have set?
I must admit I'm not a Handbrake pro ... I use it's fork Vidcoder which fits my needs better.
But from there I can tell there's basically 3 settings: target filesize, target bitrate, target quality
For the first two you should get similar filesizes with the same video length.
The third on the other hand tries to keep a certain quality where the bitrate and thus filesize can vary greatly depending on video content.

Good question I should have mentioned those. See the pic. But these are the settings I almost always use and I don't get such wild variance. I am just trying to figure out but I am certain it is something I am doing. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-08 134209.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-08 134209.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 9
If you have a close look at the picture, does the first episode contain more grain (noise) than the others?
That would make a huge difference in size.

If you have a close look at the picture, does the first episode contain more grain (noise) than the others?
That would make a huge difference in size.

This is possible because they are filmed with that wonderful 90's tech and are grainy as heck.

Then you might want to try a denoise video filter and see if the filesizes still differ that much (y)

Then you might want to try a denoise video filter and see if the filesizes still differ that much (y)

OK that sounds like a plan. Thanks for the advice!

Back