• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD extremely slow, has anyone else experienced a slow down in performance!

Dennis

I don't recall the exact version when this started, but somewhere around version 6.3.1.8, or 6.4.0.0 the ripping speed of AnyDVD has really slowed. I haven't changed any settings or added any new software, but now it takes twice to three times as long to rip a DVD to my hard drive. It used to take 7-8 minutes, now it takes 15-20 minutes to rip it to the hard drive.

Is anyone else having this problem? If you have, were you able to correct the problem?

I have defragged my hard drive, ran a couple registry cleaners and still cannot get the software to speed up. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I'm not on over 3 different systems. But you should be using the latest version of Anydvd--not an older version (and none of the versions you've mentioned is the latest version of Anydvd).

a) Is DMA enabled for your drives in
i) Windows XP?
ii) Windows Vista?
iii) general?

b) Is the original source disc bad? If so, the reading process will take longer.
Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

c) Try another cable on the back of your burner (try an 80 wire cable if you have an ide burner). Maybe your existing cable has gone bad.

d) Ensure speed control is unchecked in Anydvd (or at least, ensure "Slow and Quiet" is not enabled).

e) Click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=63749&postcount=12 to see what TBPirate did to resolve his problem.

Last edited:
Performance problem found and corrected.

After checking your response, I looked more closely, but still I could not find the problem. I then started searching the internet for more causes. I always have my DMA mode set to high, but I found the following statement on one of the internet sites. "The most frequent reason why a CD or DVD port falls back to PIO mode is a scratched or otherwise unreadable CD or DVD." I did not know the mode could be changed automatically. On further examination, I found another site that listed causes and symptoms shown below.

SYMPTOMS
After you suspending and resume your computer several times, hard disk performance may be reduced. If you use Device Manager to view the properties of the IDE channel towhich the drive is connected, the Advanced Settings tab may show that the current transfer mode for the drive is "PIO Mode."

CAUSE
After the Windows IDE/ATAPI Port driver (Atapi.sys) receives a cumulative total of six time-out or cyclical redundancy check (CRC) errors, the driver reduces the communications speed (the transfer mode) from the highest Direct Memory Access (DMA) mode to lower DMA modes in steps. If the driver continues to receive time-out or CRC errors, the driver eventually reduces the transfer mode to the slowest mode (PIO mode).

After learning this, I found I could not change from PIO mode to DMA mode, DMA mode was not available. I actually had to uninstall the controller and reboot to get the DMA mode to be shown. The uninstall of the ATAPI controller and reboot fixed the problem. I am now back up to speed.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate the help.

Back