• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD can't scan disc -- can't decrypt disc?

moviemadness

The disc in question is the Region-2, German-made DVD of the Hitchcock 1929 film "Blackmail".

My region-free set-top Blu-ray player reads and plays it fine. When AnyDVD is NOT RUNNING, my PCs' (both my Win7 and WinXP PCs) Blu-ray drives also read it fine. I can browse the file structure on the disc. Since this is a Region-2 disc, and my drives aren't region-free, I need AnyDVD to actually play the disc on either PC.

So I run AnyDVD (latest version 7.1.8.0 and previous version 7.1.2.0), load the disc, and AnyDVD can't seem to scan it. After 15 minutes (the longest I've waited) of scanning, it still hasn't finished scanning it. This happens on both my Win7 and WinXP PCs. I clicked AnyDVD's "default" button as suggested, but it didn't fix the problem.

Once I exit AnyDVD, the disc loads fine on both PCs.

Is AnyDVD unable to decrypt the disc? I tried to use Imgburn to read the disc, and it showed that the disc does have some kind of encryption.

I watched the whole movie on my set-top Blu-ray player, so there doesn't seem to anything physically wrong with the disc.

Since AnyDVD can't finish scanning the disc, there is no log file I can show here.

One PC has Virtual CloneDrive, and one doesn't. So it doesn't seem the problem has anything to do with that. And I don't have any other virtual drive software running either.

I went into ImgBurn, Tools, Filter Drive Load Order. On one PC, it shows AnyDVD, ElbyCDFL, GEARAspiWDM, and CD/DVD-ROM device. On another PC, it only shows AnyDVD and CD/DVD-ROM device. ElbyCDFL is, of course, from Vitual CloneDrive. I'm not too sure what GEARAspiWDM is. But it doesn't seem to be the matter, since the problem occurs on both PCs, and one of which doesn't have GEARAspiWDM.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I found an old XP laptop to try, and lo and behold, AnyDVD WORKED on that disc!

I had a feeling it had to be a drive problem. It's not likely AnyDVD would have trouble decrypting a DVD made in 2002.

Even though my XP laptop could read the disc, my Windows 7 PC still has trouble reading non-Region-1 discs.

Today I re-tried the "Blackmail" Region-2 DVD mentioned in my first post and AnyDVD took 10 minutes to scan it, but this time it did finish the scan and let me view the disc. But after the scan it gave me the error message "Unable to crack all CSS keys", etc. My log file is attached. Anyone can advise why it took so long to scan?

Subsequent reloadings of the "Blackmail" disc into the drive do not cause any scan delay. But any newly-scanned non-Region-1 discs always cause a delay.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.1.8.0_Info_I_Blackmail.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Even though my XP laptop could read the disc, my Windows 7 PC still has trouble reading non-Region-1 discs.

Today I re-tried the "Blackmail" Region-2 DVD mentioned in my first post and AnyDVD took 10 minutes to scan it, but this time it did finish the scan and let me view the disc. But after the scan it gave me the error message "Unable to crack all CSS keys", etc. My log file is attached. Anyone can advise why it took so long to scan?

Subsequent reloadings of the "Blackmail" disc into the drive do not cause any scan delay. But any newly-scanned non-Region-1 discs always cause a delay.
Cracking the CSS keys on this disc takes very long. Make sure, that the CSS archive is enabled, so the time is needed only once. Or transfer the keys from your other PC.

I'm also having issues with this disc. I get the same "Unable to crack all CSS keys" message as the others. The one specific area I cannot access on the disc is the special features menu.

I can the play both the silent and sound movies fine from the VOB files, but the special features menu is completely inaccessible.

Log file is included.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.3.3.0_Info_D_Blackmail.ziplog
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
I found a workaround to the problem.

I used DVDDecrypter 3.5.4.0. It also ran into some issues with the disc but found some simple ways to solve the problem. I can now access the special features menu and the disc is fine.

I've included DVDDecrypter log file as an attachment.

Attachments

• BlackmailDVDDecrypter.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 32
I found a workaround to the problem.

I used DVDDecrypter 3.5.4.0. It also ran into some issues with the disc but found some simple ways to solve the problem. I can now access the special features menu and the disc is fine.

I've included DVDDecrypter log file as an attachment.

Ah! Lightning UK is smart! I'll add this method to AnyDVD, too.

The special features menu works correctly now with 7.3.3.2 beta. Thank you.

Back