• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD bug? Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... interrupted with eject.

bhoar

James,

The Rip DVD to Harddisk... function seems to be able to handle an inadvertent eject (or disc media read error) normally. It will throw a FileIO error in the interface and the operator can handle the issue.

However, if you have two drives and then choose "Rip DVD to Harddisk..." on both of them, and then eject both at the same time, one of the ripper windows gets the FileIO error, while the other does not.

Once you close the ripper that got the FileIO error, the other window will accept clicks, but pressing the Abort button does nothing. There's no way to get rid of the dialog box (and clearly ripping isn't continuing).

It looks like the disc IO error handler isn't properly re-entrant if you have two ripping threads that fail and the first error hasn't been cleared by the operator before the second one fails.

I am going to do some more experiments to see if the problem requires simultaneous drive errors, or if it only requires that the operator not have closed out the error dialogs from the first error by the time the second error comes along. I also suspect this triggers a stale drive/file handle issue because I can't shutdown cleanly after the problem occurs.

-brendan

PS - if you get a chance to look into that, it might also be nice to include the drive letter of the problem drive in the dialog box reporting the FileIO error (for automation purposes, <grin>).

Last edited:
James,

The Rip DVD to Harddisk... function seems to be able to handle an inadvertent eject (or disc media read error) normally. It will throw a FileIO error in the interface and the operator can handle the issue.

However, if you have two drives and then choose "Rip DVD to Harddisk..." on both of them, and then eject both at the same time, one of the ripper windows gets the FileIO error, while the other does not.

Once you close the ripper that got the FileIO error, the other window will accept clicks, but pressing the Abort button does nothing. There's no way to get rid of the dialog box (and clearly ripping isn't continuing).

It looks like the disc IO error handler isn't properly re-entrant if you have two ripping threads that fail and the first error hasn't been cleared by the operator before the second one fails.

I am going to do some more experiments to see if the problem requires simultaneous drive errors, or if it only requires that the operator not have closed out the error dialogs from the first error by the time the second error comes along. I also suspect this triggers a stale drive/file handle issue because I can't shutdown cleanly after the problem occurs.

-brendan

PS - if you get a chance to look into that, it might also be nice to include the drive letter of the problem drive in the dialog box reporting the FileIO error (for automation purposes, <grin>).

Possible. There might be a couple of problems "under the hood" when using the "Rip to disc" function with DVDs from multiple sources at the same time... :eek:

I'll report anything else along these lines I find.

And I'll double check to make sure it's not just a side effect of the way I'm manipulating windows. There's a chance that the single FileIO window may have resulted because the FileIO windows might inherit the window hiding of the parent and I'm not catching them all.

I also put some mutexes around the window manipulations, so we'll see if that helps.

-brendan

I've seen the same problem ripping BDs. My first thought would be a tick-box with 'eject tray' when ended (like in imgburn), so the dumb user (me) doesn't press the wrong button.

Possible. There might be a couple of problems "under the hood" when using the "Rip to disc" function with DVDs from multiple sources at the same time... :eek:

James - thanks for looking into it. For now, I can't seem to repeat it if the two incidents don't happen simultaneously, so in the real world, the main problem probably not a super big deal.

-brendan

Last edited:
Back