• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Any working setup based on 780g and a non 24p screen?

knob2001

Hi.

I'm trying to clarify how things are running on my setup, becouse the more i read, the less i understand why it doesn't work at all.

One week ago it used to work, smooth and the way it was designed to, but after trying to install some corrupted codecs to see mpeg2, it crash. Since then, after a lot of reboots, s.o. reinstalls and workarounds, i can't reproduce the same setup i had. Is very, very, very frustating indeed.

My HTPC is based on the 780g (gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H), with a onboard ATI HD3200, and HDMI.
My Plasma is a Panasonic TH-42PX70E without the 24p magic stuff.

What i'm looking for is a working setup, whatever the renderer, whatever the S.O, becouse no matter what i do, the stutter/judder is always there. Even when i play 25hz coded mkv's. This only happens with reclock as the audio renderer.

Some info about my reclock status when movie at 23,976 is being played and my plasma is on 1280x720p 50hz:
The icon is red/green, no matter the amount of time i keep it running
The Video Hardware info:
Refresh rate: 50,003HZ (without pstrip)
Renderer info:
VMR7 or VMR9. EVR is not working properly on sp3 (as far as i tried)
audio: dsound
Clocks corrections:
Always more than 500ppm (sometimes more than 1000ppm) I guess there's something bad there, isn't?
The media adaptation:
Speed: Auto with Locked clicked. (The way it should be)
Sound adaptation:
None of them
Sync adaptation:
Vsync enabled.
The dots are jumping on the upper side of the screen, which i think is a rather bad symptom as the manual says it must be the on the lower part of the screen. Also, on complex secuences, the dots begin to spread all over the vertical axis, sometimes jumping from the top to the bottom of the screen.

I guess i'm using the standard setup for codecs: Haali splitter and ffdshow beta6 with libavcodec for h264. My S.O. is XP3 updated. No antivirus, no automatic updates, just the minimal. About the ati drivers, i've been trying everything from official gygabyte to amd radeon suites, even the legacy ones. The tripple buffer is disabled, and the the wait for vertical sync is off (i've tried the on option too without any visible results)
The dual AMD CPU works at 20% at maximun load.

About the audio, there's no passthough for AC3. Reclock handles the spdif output to my decoder at 16bit (that's the only thing i'm pretty sure about becouse i've been using reclock from the very first time...)

So...
Could someone please tell me a working setup? Even if i have to buy another tested radeon. Whatever info is wellcomed. Btw, the HDMI cable is the same as always.

Regards
knob2001

Hi...

nobody with the 780g and a screen not 24p capable? it was a very popular among the htpc setups... anyway, i'm still trying to find the correct one. This night, with vista and 10.2 ati beta drivers...

Regards
Knob2001

try adding this to your boot.ini:
Code:
/NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSOFF /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER /NODEBUG /TIMERES=9766

but well, IGP's use shared system memory, and this is a slooooooow process...so tearing could easily occur.

it sounds like your video timings are foobar'ed, you'd need to use pstrip and fiddle w/ the porch settings to make your display happy

If you are playing HD H.264 with libavcodec, 20% CPU feels a bit low (since it can't use DXVA) - are you sure the player is actually using the codec you think it is ? Try checking with Graphstudio ('connect to remote graph').

Which player are you using - MPC-HC supports DXVA for H.264 & VC1 (with VMR9 renderer) - get the 'cutting edge' versions from http://www.xvidvideo.ru/ (also a good place for FFDshow builds).

Tony

Thank you!!!

Right now i'm getting a decent stutter-free play... maybe a little judder (micro-judder i would say... i don't know if this is just that i'm getting crazy staring the 42 plasma from just 20cm distance)

i've done so many changes that i have to clean the mess of stuff i've tried.

As soon as i know what i'm doing different from just one hour ago, i'll post my chain of audio + video.

Just a little info meanwhile: i'm using MPC-HC, the lastest one, VMR9 with DXVA. Blocked the ffdshow to use the internal codec.

Reclock uses 16bit, wasapi exclusive for both, and not using the Vsync (i'm using the internal MPC-HC Vsync alternative)

MPC-HC uses 15% of CPU, while WMP11 was using before 80%!!!! Seems DXVA is really making the difference.

So , thank you again...
Knob2001

Since my plasma is in the living room, and the HTPC is just below the screen... and i don't have a 3m lengh wireless mouse... i have to be seated right in front of it.

Anyway, altough i thought i solved the problem, the problem is there again.

I just think i don't understand very well the way the Vsync has to be used. As far as i know i have to play and pause the video to see where the cross fall, and then, activate the Vsync with the slider far away from the cross position (a.k.a on a lot of forums like the "jerky spot"). If it doesn't work, do it again until i find the spot. Mmmm... i'll try to do it again.

My pourpose for this topic is to find a minimal working setup for the 780g:
1. Xp3 or Vista (or windows 7)and needed patches or tweaks regarding just the O.S.
2. Ati drivers version and CCC configuration.
3. Which H264 codec use: coreavc, ffdshow (beta or not) MP-HC standalone
4. Which mode: VM9, VM7...
5. Pstrip ¿needed or not?
6. Audio. What to avoid and what to use for multichannel assuming SPDIF final output.
7. Show how to use the Vsync slider, maybe with graphical manuals.
7. XBMC, mediaportal, Media centers... which works and which not, or the tweaks for make them work.

If someone else comes for the same reason than me, he will find a tested setup. By the way, it could be perfect to have a list of tested setups for people designing their new htpcs with reclock as the base. I know there's a lot of guys out there still with a non 24p screens or projectors.

Regards
Knob2001

Back