• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Antivirus Anydvd related discusssion (AVG false positive, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AnyDVD is being detected as false positives all the time.

That's simply not true. The majority of antivirus products, as James has indicated, do not detect Anydvd as a virus. This holds true for all Anydvd releases.

However, AnyDVD is a program that works against media copy-protection. That may be of dislike to the industry, and thus the program is being recognized as a malware of some sort.

No. AVG has a moderately high false positive detection rate in general and, as a result, only received a "standard" ranking in AV Comparatives' February 2009 report:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report21.pdf

Last edited:
@ GAstorino

I plan to do very similar from what you have done, I have put AnyDVD HD in the exception directory of AVG on both of my computers.

I want to wait two days for AVG to update their database for the latest virus definations and then download the latest AnyDVD HD beta version or stable version at that time.

:agree:

Avira antivirus also has many false positives and even worse problems.
:D

@ GAstorino

I plan to do very similar from what you have done, I have put AnyDVD HD in the exception directory of AVG on both of my computers.

I want to wait two days for AVG to update their database for the latest virus definations and then download the latest AnyDVD HD beta version or stable version at that time.

Avira antivirus also has many false positives and even worse problems.
:D

No problems with Avira here Bro... Although Avira showed a lot of false positives in those tests, it also detected nearly all of the actual corrupt files.
I used to use AVG, until Zebadee converted me to Avira... now Avira is on all 4 desktops in my house, and my laptop. Been awesome.;)
And, doesn't see AnyDVD as a virus or malware, which it shouldn't....:)

On the flip side, AVG also catches things most other scanners miss, and picks up 99.8% of tested 0-Day infections using older definitions, earning it highest ranking by Extreme Gamer, CPU, and Xtreme Systems. So you have to just pay attention. They update their software well, and reported and verified FPs never last more than two cycles.
I just clicked ignore and ADHD loads fine.

On the flip side, AVG also catches things most other scanners miss

Actually, AVG has a lower detection rate than most antvirus programs in the AV Comparative February 2009 report: http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report21.pdf. Only Sophos, Command, Norman, Microsoft, and Kingsoft missed more samples than AVG.

AVG has also had a poor test history with Virus Bulletin (but has improved since 2007):

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/results?vendor=VE10

VB100 Results Overview: AVG (Grisoft)
26 Success / 22 Failure / 15 No Entry

Last edited:
Not to argue much with you, but that link only points to v6 and v7. The three reviews I referenced to all covered v8.x

It does state pass, but I'm not interested enough to pay $175 to find out what they tested, what they tested it with, and how they decided on their ratings. From reading through the PDFs from both, my guess is they have it set to default, more or less. It's not great, but it works well for F.R.E.E.!!!

If you have a suggestion for another program that
is free,
does not use any kind of advertising,
does not disruptively ask you to pay for a paid version,
has a simular small-sized footprint,
uses a similar minimal amount of resources
scans at a similar rate of speed
does NOT require automated system scans
uses a live-scan that's non-disruptive
does not force a toolbar install
does NOT OPEN ANY WINDOWS FROM THE SHELL IN IE EVER FOR ANY REASON! EVER!
scans links in search engines in realtime
can scan within compressed archives, including rar, zip, WinZip, 7zip, ace, pk, stuffit, and cab/msi
can scan within disc/disk images, including ISO, IMG, NRG, DMG, IBI, 3X5, and GST
I'm always open to suggestions. :D

Not to argue much with you, but that link only points to v6 and v7.

No. Version 8 is clearly being tested. Click again:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report21.pdf

Moreover, version 8 is also being tested in Virus Bulletin (I know an acquaintance who subscribes).

scans at a similar rate of speed

AVG's on-demand scanning speed is "slow": http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report21.pdf

Only Trustport, Norman, BitDefender, E-scan, and F-secure are slower.

Reviews and magazines are all very nice. Virus Bulletin and AV-Comparatives focus solely on antivirus products, and both are respected sources for antivirus testing. Anti-Malware is another (but it's a Russian source): http://www.anti-malware-test.com/. In Anti-Malware's latest test, AVG performed better than in AV-Comparatives' February 2009 testing, but AVG still fails to take the top award.

Anyway, the bottom line is that Anydvd does not contain a virus or trojan.

Last edited:
I'm always open to suggestions. :D

I can tell that you have no idea what processes AVG runs... look in task manager and you'll see a shietload of EXEs loaded by AVG, yes even the free version.
That is one of the reasons I canned AVG and went to Avira. I'll put up with 'ONE' advert a day when Avira updates it's database. I don't consider that too much of an issue to be able to use the freeware version of Avira.8)

You'r more than welcome to stay with AVG, you probably won't have an encounter with some rogueware in the near future, but don't come crying to us if sometime down the line you find out AVG wasn't as tight as you'd hoped...LOL:D

BTW... I had a very similar discussion with Zebadee when he was telling me about Avira and I was touting AVG... but even I realized eventually that Avira was a better fit for me... ;)

As a software developer myself I know of this problem.
The AV scanner sites such as jotti and virustotal do not do a good job at detecting heuristics, so if the file is not in the virus database but only detected by heuristics, it will often show as clean on these sites, even tho the people with those scanners will get a virus alert.

The problem is your using UPX packer, this just causes more trouble then its worth dont use it. Use a setup installer that uses compression like lzma will usually get a smaller size then using UPX anyways.

The AV scanner sites such as jotti and virustotal do not do a good job at detecting heuristics, so if the file is not in the virus database but only detected by heuristics, it will often show as clean on these sites, even tho the people with those scanners will get a virus alert.

The problem is your using UPX packer, this just causes more trouble then its worth dont use it. Use a setup installer that uses compression like lzma will usually get a smaller size then using UPX anyways.

It's not packed, it's encrypted - and that's for a reason.

Avg

there is a bug with some versions of avg antivirus, once it detects an exe file as a virus, you can not use the file ever again as it removes part of the file

Simple Fix: Get a different antivirus
More Difficult but better fix: Contact Grisoft and tell them.

@ MBK

Avira is not as good as AVG, Avira let a virus slip thru and it took me almost a week to get rid of it, that AVG caught.

Avira is NO BETTER than any of the other antivirus.

You can quote all the BS you want, but Avira is junk in a well organized package.

Nod32, Kaspersky, Avast, Avira, Comodo, etc., are not triggering false positives on Anydvd, unlike AVG. At this time, I'm only aware of AVG triggering this false positive with 6.5.4.1. Again, the majority of antivirus programs are not triggering a false positive with Anydvd.

Last edited:
@

You can quote all the BS you want

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4

"While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters."

Anyway, I think this thread has gone on long enough. People are, of course, welcome to use whatever antivirus program they want to. People should be aware, however, that some antivirus programs are known to trigger more false positives than others. Unfortunately, no antivirus program is completely immune to triggering false positives.

I don't feel there's anything to be gained by keeping this thread open.
Thread closed. :policeman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back