• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Answer to a users question on how a movie protects the contents.

gereral1

There is no way to back up a bluray to get past the encryption. The problem is the hidden watermark that is used as part of the encryption. A computer bluray burner cannot copy the watermark onto the disk. Everything else is a perfect copy.

Protection:

Load disk, check watermark key, if exists check for hdcp devices

If encrypted material comprimised black list components *tv*bluray pl
I am not versed in legal backup copy or underlying copy protection schemes. Does this mean BD players check in when a movie is played to see if same disc "key/serial number" is being played from lots of locations so is then blocked from playing? I'm on way to web to research.
I believe a key is set for each movie based on the watermark of the disk, and devices that have permission to play encrypted material such as a bluray machine or software player with a registered licence. After this HDCP kicks in and is required to send encrypted data between devices from the source to the video card to the player and tv. If any of these devices are compromised hdcp will blacklist the device and revoke the key and your tv will no longer work in its hdmi port rending the tv garbage. Some put a warning on the screen (ps3game consoles) and some loose the ability to use their hdmi port on their tv. Same as bluray hardware players. So it can be dangerous to mess with the encryption if you do not know what you are doing. This encryption also is embedded in windows os so if you try to take a screen shot or capture of for say Cyberlink playing a bluray the screen remains black. This is hdcp kicking in in windows os. You can take a screen shot in mpc vlc as the program does nto have the hdcp routine. So its impossible to keep encryption and make a backup copy. Now if somehow they could copy the watermark onto a burnable disk (which is impossible because its pressed in) then you could backup your disks. So they have shut all doors to allow the end user to make a backup with encryption left untouched.

You will notice when you look at the bluray structure after anydvdhd is done it makes a backup of the disks content. This is where another layer of protection is added called screenpass. Screenpass checks the bluray structure for altercations and if it sees that the file structure has been changed the screen pass kicks in scrambling your movies playback order. This is part of the bluray java. This has caused many headaches for users using slysoft software forcing the devs to patch each movie as they come out requesting logs to fix movies that do this. Once screen pass has been overcome then and only then can you extract or use the movie. The encryption removed and the correct playlist found then hdcp is disabled and you can play this content in players. So the companies came out with cinavia audio protection of whatever they call it as a final check to stop users with unprotected material to play in hardware players or licence software players. No one to date has had a good way of removing this. The best way was to use mpc vlc or a patch to cyberlink with slysoft to ignore the routine that checks for this protection. Hardware players are still subject to this protection with the audio but some have come up with ways to degrade or speed up and slow down audio to bypass but it screws up the sound. How this works is every so many minutes the protection checks the audio for a certain pattern hidden in the audio stream and if it sees this after many minutes it will mute the audio or black out the video and stop the playback.

You can use a hdmi splitter like fury or cheap splitter to keep all encryption but copy a movie with hdcp as it strips it allow you to backup the video and audio on the disk. This is how gammers record the gameply on their ps3 on youtube videos.Once HTCP is bypassed the audio and video is like good old vcr material that you can record.

History of breaking the key routine of a program:

A beakpoint set on a call address can take you step by step to the key being revealed or the formula to make the key. This is what slysoft has done using a debugger to follow the encryption routine of a bluray to find where it checks for a good key and simply bypasses the check sending an ok. This is usually by an XOR or JMP or JMP if not equal command in the machine code. Returning EAX register or 1 or 0 can change the flow of the following line of code in the next line of code. Not to teach you guys about registers that a chip uses for 32bit and 64bit but math is done is each one controlling the flow, adding bits together and shifting bits in addresses. Using a push pop command can change the stack flow and control the way a program functions and also control the data and where is gets stored. There is multi layers of checks called flags that check again and again in may other calls to the same routine of others. Sometimes a bit in a address is set to F or 0 telling the code if the first check has been bypassed to check this flag so if the flag is incorrect the check will default to a encrypted routine. If you find the encoded routine you can actually isolate after the key and watch the data step by step be decrypted then encrypted. This is a routine that programmers use to hide the key to a program. They can also use the windows registry to store the key like slysoft does and gets called in the program to check if you have a certain licence. I'm not a hacker but have taken programs that I buy and tear them apart to see how they work at the assembly level.

Some programs use the pe header to scramble so even if you use a debugger the program cannot be read until the pe header is rebuilt correctly. This is a way of the program to hides its content from a degugger. Also after the pe header is built the program uses a if debugger is present code to check if your spying on the code. If it sees this it can send a program shutdown or even worse reboot the pc. Crazy stuff.

Problem is the stripping of hdcp breaks the drm aacs=la law. As you know fury company has been taken to court because they have a breakout box (adapter) that can overcome the new 2.0 4k protection. How these devices work is there is a key stored in the chip on the splitter same as an hdtv has a key in its motherboard chip. So when hdcp sends encrypted data over the hdmi cable the tv at the other end it unscrambles the data and puts it on your screen as video. They the companies that make splitters use the same tv chips to decode the hdcp and leave it out so it allows you to feed to any device allowing copying thru hdmi ports and the end source. If hdcp detects a compromise it will blacklist the device or degrade the video to a lower quality. It cannot detect a compromised signal at the end of the playback past the tv chip because it thinks the signal is going to a tv to view. The handshake as many call it takes place and the signal is decoded.

The new 4k protection adds an extra step sending out confirmation over the internet and return a key to play the 4k uhd disk. If you do not have an internet connection you will not be able to play any uhd disks even though you buys them. This is why fury is taken to court as these boxes are only concerned with the weakest link the end of the decoded process before the content is placed on your screen. Fury does not care if the disk has a key or not. Its just like I mentioned about the security of programs and serial numbers when you buy programs.

The thing I like about hdcp removal is if you have an older tv, stereo av receiver and such. Why should the user have to buy a hdcp 2.0 compliant audio receiver,tv, and player to watch a movie. You should be able to use your 5.1 amp with hdmi inputs and outputs with your new 4k player and tv. This system will force the user to buy an new amp that is hdcp compliant. This is where people get pissed. Because of the control over the market and companies telling users you cannot use your older tv or amp to watch newer content. Our rights are being stripped from us daily. This is why companies like slysoft, dvdfab, fury come out with these things to give power and our rights back to the end user.

This article is for education purposes only for users who want to learn what goes on behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Thanks. This saved me lots of research to get a simple understanding. The last paragraph is poor business on part of Hollywood. I may never buy UHD content for this reason. They want to keep selling us same content and btw you'll need all new hardware. I'll vote with my lack of wallet and can see others plan to do the same.

To add to this article the way 4k is done was to use a fury device to take hdcp 2+ and downcovert it to 1.4a. Then use a 1.4 or 1.3 splitter (compatable 4k res at max 30fps, no hdr support) to capture video. You will notice the illegal rips do not support hdr or 10bit color. What would be amazing is a true hdmi hdcp stripper with hdmi 2.0 support with hdr and 10bit color. As for the hardware 4k capture would gobble 48gig of drive space approx for a 2hr movie. This is without dd dts hd tracks. Tack on 7-11gig if you want losses audio for that movie. Way to much data for 1 movie. My movies are around 19gig for 2 hr movie witgmh dtsma 7.1 track. Reason why fury was taken to court and won is because they do not strip hdcp. They convert it from 2.0 to 1.4a

You still need an old amazon stripper to get the 4k signal. When h265 capture cards come out then 4k is toaste as users will be able to fit full 4k movies on a hard drive around 19gig with 4x resolution. No one has cracked the new aacs protection as there is no hardware computer roms that can read this format on a computer. So my guess is they are taking a uhd hardware player and using a fury to hdmu 1.4a or 1.3 stripper to record hdmi thru a capture card. Bringing dtshd or truehd into a mkv or such container to view in vlc or powerdvd as they do support 4k playback this way. Sony has a 4k codec xavc that can compress 4k with beautiful results. What would be nice is a capture 4k card with xvac codec. No going to happen as sony (screenpass maker) owns this. There is a record that will record 4k with 10bit hdr. Its atmos shotgun recorder. But now your talking thousands of dollars to record movies. Way to expensive. I run youtube channel as gereral1 on youtube that had 2mil views and know a ton about formats and video editing and sound production. I hope this article helped answer any questions about bluray, 4k and such. I still have not watched any samples of these 4k movies online. I do own a 4k uhd compatible tv and will buy a uhd player when price comes down. Just watch gothen season 2 on bluray and am still amazed at the quality of bluray resolution. Just so you guys know my tv is sony 850c ugd 4k 65 inch model. My tests with 4k show a bright clean picture sitting 12 feet from tv. But for all the hype bluray is really dam close to the same at 12 feet. If your 4-5 feet you might see more detail but honestly at normal viewing distances you cannot see each pixel because your eyes cannot see that fine. Ive checked out the new uhds and samsungs oled tech and the blacks and colors are beautiful up CLOSE. Goto a store and step 5 feet back and compare the wow factor. It drops off pretty fast and that expensive tv looks like the older model next to it. If you are a gammer and want to sit a a desk witg a 65 inch monitor in your face then you will benifit.

This goes true with dts hd ma at 24bit or 26bit or 4800 or 9600. Your ears can not distinguish the small differences in sound. There is just to many sound waves coming from 7 locations and a .1 sub to notice. Stereo there is an advantage to higher bit rates and sample rates as your ears can seperate this. 5.1 vs 7.1 increases high over all on sound. About 20 percent difference in movies over 5.1. Dts to ac3 dts is 30 percent increase in sound due to its higher bit rate.

With sound the most important factors is speaker levels are equal at listening position. And speakers are all set to small with 80hz crossover. Speaker position is very important too.

Have a great day guys and if you are intrested there is an article I created called ultimate htpc in third party forums. I take you thru many of these topics and give you an insite into my htpc system.

Back