• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

American Gangster HD-DVD and Total Media Theatre

nholdcroft

Hi. I have tried ripping the American Gangster HD-DVD to my hardrive using AnyDVDHD using multiple combinations of the options for HD-DVD - including the 2 for PowerDVD. However, using Arcsoft Total Media Theatre (TMT) (inc. Vista Media Center plugin) I cannot get it to play. I select the HD-DVD (ripped to hardrive) using MyMovies in Vista Media Center and TMT kicks in, then goes to a black screen (as it usually does with my other rips, blu ray and hd-dvd), but then returns to the TMT main screen. With my other rips the movies would start playing at this point.

Does anyone have any ideas how this is fixed? I saw in the latest AnyDVDHD update that American Gangster issues were resolved for Blu-ray -- are there known outstanding issues for the HD-DVD version?

Thanks.

If you are mounting with one of the later releases of Virtual Clone Drive you need to run the *.DVD file not the *.ISO for HD-DVD ISO's to play in TMT. See the Virtual Clone Drive forum for more info.

This would be 100% true, if he posted any of the information outlined in the thread I linked. The mods here, and quite frankly the rest of us that help others, do not like posts that only contain "help, I have a problem." Yet, do not post any helpful, relevent information. Like, what version of xyz product are you running, log files, etc. This is why there are stickies in this forum.

I feel suitably chastised. However, I would recommend you don't take the same tone with all people who are new to this forum -- it results in animosity and is likely to drive people away - a result I'm guessing you don't want. This may not have been the intent of your message but it is the way it reads - I think the redirect could have been phrased in a much friendlier way.

I will follow the instructions in the sticky thread (thanks for the link) and report back as soon as I get a chance to work on the Media Center i.e. it's not being used by my kids for TV.

I feel suitably chastised. However, I would recommend you don't take the same tone with all people who are new to this forum -- it results in animosity and is likely to drive people away - a result I'm guessing you don't want. This may not have been the intent of your message but it is the way it reads - I think the redirect could have been phrased in a much friendlier way.

I will follow the instructions in the sticky thread (thanks for the link) and report back as soon as I get a chance to work on the Media Center i.e. it's not being used by my kids for TV.
I didn't make any chastising remarks. I was simply direct and to the point. Sorry you took it the wrong way.

Hi. I have some more information re the issue -- in line with the sticky thread I was pointed to. Please let me know if I've missed anything or any further information is required. Thanks.

1) a) I have HDCP compliance, and the original disc does not exhibit playback issues with Anydvd disabled.

b) The original disc does not play with Anydvd enabled - it exhibits the same problem I have when trying to play the "ripped to hardrive" version

2) Blu Ray/HD-DVD Drive appears to have the latest firmware (Drive: GGC H20L)

3) Using version 6.4.7.9 (latest) of Anydvd HD.

4) I don't have any packet writing software installed.

5) a)full title of disc: American Gangster, b)region code: None, c) country: UK, and d) release date: appears to have been 10/Mar/2008.

6) AnyDVD status information:
Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.4.7.9)
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L 1.03 400515082587EE1237
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a HD DVD.
Booktype: hd-dvd (version 3), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 7183168 sectors (14029 MBytes)
Total size: 14274560 sectors (27880 MBytes)
Video HD DVD label: AMERICAN_GANGSTER_G41
Media is AACS protected!
File VPLST016.XPL renamed!
Removed AACS copy protection!

7) Per my original post I have tried ripping the American Gangster HD-DVD to my hardrive using AnyDVDHD using multiple combinations of the options for HD-DVD - including the 2 for PowerDVD. However, using Arcsoft Total Media Theatre (TMT) - version 2.1.6.125 (inc. Vista Media Center plugin - Vista Home Premium 32bit, Service Pack 1) I cannot get the ripped version on the hardrive to play (of for that matter the original disc when AnyDVD is enabled). I select the HD-DVD (ripped to hardrive) using MyMovies (version 2.47) in Vista Media Center and TMT kicks in as it should, then goes to a black screen (as it usually does with my other rips, blu ray and hd-dvd), but then returns to the TMT main screen. With my other rips to the hardrive (e.g. Bladerunner on HD-DVD and other Blu Ray movies) the movies will start playing as expected at this point.

8 ) Anydvd zip log file is attached.

9 ) I am using the latest retail version (downloaded the night before last) of Total Media Theatre - version 2.1.6.125
b) I am using the latest 780g integrated graphics driver from the AMD/ATI website - version 8.53 (from device manager in windows)

10 ) I am using a Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H motherboard with integrated ATI 780G graphics.

11) I tried with Data Execution Prevention enabled and disabled - it made no difference to playback.

12) I could not find a solution to this problem for this disc by searching this forum.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_E_AMERICAN_GANGSTER_G41.zip
    22.4 KB · Views: 5
And what ISO mounting utility are you using? If Virtual Clone Drive (VCD) you will be unable to use MyMovies and TMT until Brian Binnerup releases the next version that will support the .DVD file extension.

However, you should be able to use the physical disk to play the movie just fine with TMT. I don't have the UK version that you do.

What I would suggest you attempt is to Right-Click on the Sly Fox icon in your system tray, select Settings, then click the Default button. Then, try the physical disk again.

Try unchecking Rename highest XPL file. That is not on by default in AnyDVD HD's settings.

Edit: Clicking the Default button as shadow07 suggested would also cause that setting to be unchecked.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not using any ISO mounting utility. I've simply used AnyDVD to rip the disc to the hardrive and then pointed MyMovies to that folder location. This has worked for the other Blu Ray and (admittedly only one - Bladerunner) HD-DVD discs I've ripped to hardrive using AnyDVD. It's just American Gangster on HD-DVD that isn't working.

I tried clicking the default button which removed the checkbox you mentioned but that hasn't worked. I've not come across anyone else mentioning an issue with the UK American Gangster HD-DVD and this software combination, but then I haven't heard of it working for anyone either.

Being handled directly

This is being handled now in support.

Back