• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Amazon Prime and 'true' 24fps

I only find 24fps a nuisance if they have done it badly by starting from a 23.976 source and duplicating the odd frame as required to change the fps (resampling). That IS something they do. If it has been converted (from whatever source) on an exact frame-by-frame basis - either telecined from film at 24 exact or, if from an already 23.976 source, retimed (rather than resampled)(which is also something they do - and which of these it is can only be determined by close examination) then it doesn't bother me at all. There is no material difference. That said, I do tend to convert to 23.976 for the sole reason it is a defacto commercial standard. I doubt you will ever find a commercial BD or UHD at 24 exact.

25 fps can easily be converted to 23.976 (or 24 if you prefer) frame by frame (so, absolutely accurately; no blurring or interpolation); avidemux will do this, frame accurate and allows the audio to be retimed to maintain lip-sync. Doing so does extend the duration - to the "correct" value (for movie content).
I agree...there is a correct way to convert 25 to 23.976....but they didn't. I was referring to correcting it. Not sure there is a way to fix it once it's been done wrong....especially when they switch from constant to variable at the same time. I personally dumped the 23.976 versions of His Dark Materials and kept the 25fps.
They play perfect. Even on the US Blu-Ray version, I could see the jitter.

Variable frame rates is a whole other can of worms. I don't know what the state of HDM is - it's not something I have looked at. But if it is constant 25 (and plays right like that) then for the purist, it will happily go to 23.976 without damage.

I doubt you will ever find a commercial BD or UHD at 24 exact.
I have a lot of them actually, all movies sold by european studios are 24fps (even US movies sometimes), 23.976FPS comes only from NTSC countries/studios I think.
By the way...His Dark Materials was originally 25fps on HBOMAX as were almost all BBC shows....the Blu-Ray release in the US is also 23.976fps while 25fps
in the UK.
I have the season 1 in blu-ray, it's 23.976fps and it's ok, it doesn't bother me because they just slow down the video I think, but when they try to keep the same length and do some weird things by adding or removing frames it's another story...

I doubt you will ever find a commercial BD or UHD at 24 exact.
I am quite sure I have some from European studios. 24fps is the speed used in Cinemas. 23.976 is used just for historical reasons.

Thanks for your replies. I doubt my old TV handles proper 24fps but then if the files contain duplicate frames at regular intervals, then surely there's a problem with them and the stutter would be there regardless? Why on earth would they have started to do this? In all honesty, I don't particularly want to go faffing around every time I download a file that is 24fps as that's just too much of a PITA. I know the masses are very unobservant but there must be a decent (albeit small) number of people that have noticed this little glitch each time the duplicate frame appears?

You have the old TV, what's stopping you from trying??? Any digital "TV" (read: lcd-like monitor with speakers attached to it) should be able to handle 24fps, 24000/1001 was literally a hack for colour and US AC frequency. Old stuff is released at 24000/1001 or 30000/1001 so that audio doesn't have to be retimed/resampled.

Last edited:
Back