• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Adding Forced Subtitles

mmdavis

I have the Hornblower series (8 discs) on DVD and those have Forced Subtitles because of the French and Spanish that is sometimes spoken.

I recently got that series on Bluray, but CloneBD says there are no subtitles at all on the discs. So my question is, what is the best way to get the Forced Subtitles added to the MKV/MP4 output of these discs?

Apparently a lot of the sites that host SRT files also host a lot of malware. Where would be the best place to try and get them, and what software is best for adding them?

Forced subtitles mainly are signs or passages of the movie in a foreign language translated to your language.
You mean that or subtitles in general?
Usually if there are such passages in a movie, there are also forced subtitle tracks.
If not, they are burned into the video and won't show up as separate track. But this is usually done for only one language.
You could check the biggest .m2ts files with MediaInfo, if there's really no subtitle inside.

If not, they are burned into the video and won't show up as separate track.
Check the video, if there is anything burned in.
Not sure if you could do it with MKVToolNix or if it can't recognize the DVD subs. Maybe you can achieve your goal by searching for a program that can extract subs from DVDs and then add it using MKTToolNix.
The only thing that could happen is that the videos have a different lenght because one has logos or another cut that the other hasn't, so the subs would show up at the wrong time. In that case you would've to use a prgoram like Aegisub or Subtitle Edit to retime the subs to the correct timestamp.

Back