• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Access Denied when Using AnyDVDHD's Rip to Image Feature to Copy to C:\ Root Directory

Big C

What Windows settings do I need to change to allow programs other than Window's built-in file copier to copy to the C:\ root directory?

Try to start it as admin. Some programs for some reason refuse to install to another path when I don't start the installer as admin, so it might be a similar case.

Windows is protective of the root of C. I am not sure even normal admin privileges will make that a simple situation. The easiest thing to do is make a folder off of the root and then Windows stops caring.

Allowing write access to the C:\ root directory for non-administrator users or third-party programs can pose several risks to your computer:

Security threats: By granting write access, you expose your system to potential threats from malicious software. Malware could create, modify, or delete critical system files, which could lead to system instability or make your computer more vulnerable to attacks.

Accidental data loss: Users or third-party programs with write access to the C:\ root directory could accidentally delete or overwrite important files, causing loss of data or system corruption.

System stability: Many system files are located in the C:\ root directory, and unauthorized changes to these files could lead to system instability, crashes, or a compromised operating system.

Compatibility issues: Some software may not function correctly if it is granted write access to the C:\ root directory, as it may not be designed to operate with such permissions. This could lead to unintended consequences, such as software errors or crashes.

To minimize these risks, it is better to use alternative solutions, such as:

Run the program with administrator privileges: If a program requires write access to the C:\ root directory, consider running it with administrator privileges only when necessary. To do this, right-click on the program's executable file and select "Run as administrator." This will grant the program temporary elevated access while minimizing the security risks associated with granting permanent write access.

Create a dedicated folder: Instead of granting write access to the entire C:\ root directory, create a dedicated folder with appropriate permissions for the specific task. This way, you can limit the scope of potential damage caused by third-party programs or user errors. To do this, create a new folder in a suitable location and modify its permissions as needed.

By using these alternative solutions, you can maintain a balance between security and functionality, ensuring that your computer remains protected while still allowing specific programs or users to perform their tasks.

I ran AnyDVDHD as an administrator and the image ripper now rips to the root directory.

One question arises : Why would you rip an image to c:\ ??
When playing ISOs in VLC I'm not keeping, it's easier for me to open them in VLC and delete them when I'm finished with them.

It's just going to result in a lot more clicking every time you need to delete a file or move it etc. But to each his own. Whatever works for you works for you.

When playing ISOs in VLC I'm not keeping, it's easier for me to open them in VLC and delete them when I'm finished with them.
With a generic Windows install File Explorer has a folder shortcut to a Video folder off of the My Computer entry. That is going to be a Users created sub-folder tied to your Admin owner account. In my case that would be C:\Users\Owner\Videos. If you have a different name for your Admin account substitute that name for "Owner."

Open up File Explorer, click on the Video sub-folder and *BOOM!* You have a location that Windows will never have "access denied" angst over.

Video folder.png

Personally I have a secondary drive, D:\, for these situations. So I never "dirty up" my boot drive.

FYI, this is a generic Win 10 install.

Back