• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

3D Blu Ray backups

stemik

Although I did quite a few DVD backups, I still consider myself a newbie with regards to blu ray technology.

Until now I did manage to backup blu ray movies using AnyDvdHD (for ripping), BD Rebuilder (for encoding, when movie holds more than 25G) and IMGburn (for burning).
However I am still in experemental stage.

Next step is to backup 3D Blu Rays.
Until now I know that 3D blu rays cannot be compressed and should be ripped to iso file and backed up on BD R DL (50g).

Now I need some help on the following:-
>> Is there another way to backup 3D blu rays on 25G blu ray media?
>> When the blu ray consists of 2 types of movies, both 2D and 3D on the same disc, shall I ripp whole disk to HD (rip to folders not iso file) and encode with BD rebuilder?

Many thanks for all your help guys.

Cheers:)

Jup. Bdrb will simply ignore the said folder and process the rest as usual. Do note however that the 3d movie menu entry will still be present. It just won't work.

>> When the blu ray consists of 2 types of movies, both 2D and 3D on the same disc, shall I ripp whole disk to HD (rip to folders not iso file) and encode with BD rebuilder?

Many thanks for all your help guys.

Cheers:)

As far as i know theres currently no way to compress a 3d movie to fit on a 25gb disc

if you rip a disc which is both 2d and 3d to a folder, it will almost double in size due to the way a 3d disc is made.
I believe BD rebuilder does not understand the 3D file format and you will end up with the 2D part of the disc, ie you will lose the 3D part

Many thanks for your help.

So, just to be sure that I have understood well . . .

>> 3D blu ray can be backed up 1 to 1 copy i.e. no compression, straight on a 50G blu ray (Ripped to HD as iso file and burn)

>> Also applies to a disc containing both 2D and 3D versions (Hopefully that it is not than 50G). This also has to be ripped to HD as iso file and burn.

In both situations 3D version will be fully functional.

Am I right?

Cheers and enjoy life!!!

Many thanks for your help.

So, just to be sure that I have understood well . . .

>> 3D blu ray can be backed up 1 to 1 copy i.e. no compression, straight on a 50G blu ray (Ripped to HD as iso file and burn)

Correct
>> Also applies to a disc containing both 2D and 3D versions (Hopefully that it is not than 50G).

Incorrect. 2d and 3d movie on the same disc is the same as a 3d only disc. It has an said folder, combined with the other files on the disc and the main m2ts files you get 3d.
This also has to be ripped to HD as iso file and burn.

Correct

Incorrect. 2d and 3d hybrid disc can be backed up to bdrb as 2d only discs. The main part that makes it 3d (the ssif folder) will simply be ignored by bdrb and it will treat it as a normal 2d movie.

Everything but the ssif folder will be processed and you will end up as i said in my previous reply with a 2d only disc where the menu will still have an entry to the 3d option but it will NOT work since that stream will not bbe on the disc. Selecting the 3d option will then simply stop disc playback while selecting the 2d option will behave as normal and play the movie in 2d

correct

>> Also applies to a disc containing both 2D and 3D versions (Hopefully that it is not than 50G). This also has to be ripped to HD as iso file and burn.

correct

correct

Thanks Ch3vr0n.

I am a bit confused now. Let me explain clearer.

>> When ONLY a 3D movie version is present on a blu ray disc, you can back it up and burn it on 50G blu ray disc (Fu;ll Disc). The result is a fully functional 3D movie.

>> When both versions (2D and 3D) are present and although you rip it to HD as iso file, only the 2D version will be fully functional. On the other hand if you burn image on a 50G blu ray (BD rebuiilder will not be used), does the 3D version will be fully functional?

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

When both versions (2D and 3D) are present and although you rip it to HD as iso file, only the 2D version will be fully functional.

No, both will be fully functional.

On the other hand if you burn image on a 50G blu ray (BD rebuiilder will not be used), does the 3D version will be fully functional?

Yes, of course.

If you rip the hybrid disc to an ISO and burn that ISO to a blank, then yes both will be functional. It is only when you want to shrink such a disc that the ssif folder (3d stream) will be ignored and the burnt backup disc will lose 3d playback functionality.

OK understood.

Thanks to you all guys. Helpfull as ever.

One last question . . . .

What BD-r DL (50G) media brand do you recommend?

Last week I purchased 10 Taiyo Yuden printables direct from Japan, just to give this a try. My drive is an LG.

Cheers!

Well your choice to give it a try was a good one on the first try. You can't get much better. Tayo yuden or verbatim are the 2 best brands. Especially in combinatiln with an LG drive you're golden. Stick to those brands and you should never have any burn issues.

Taiyo Yuden is not that good when it comes to SL BD-r's they tend to make LTH discs which when I tested failed quite badly and have a much shorter shelf life

Taiyo Yuden is not that good when it comes to SL BD-r's they tend to make LTH discs which when I tested failed quite badly and have a much shorter shelf life

Lth in general ain't good. Even the ones i used from verbatim when they produced em. Those shouldn't be easy to find now, they never were really supported. But the normal htl discs ARE good.

Can you please explain what LTH stands for?

Recently I have noticed that some Verbatim discs have CMC.... id code.
Maxell discs hold Verbatim..... id code??!!

At the moment I am using Media Range (disc id code Philip...) BD-R SL. Until now not a single coaster.

It seems that there are various good brands with fake id codes out there. I believe it is very difficult to choose. When you buy media you will never tell that those are fake ones or not.

Any comments are highly appreciated. You are experts in this field. I am only a beginner in this field. However I try to read and catch information over the internet.

People like you diserve appreciation for your dedication and patience.

@lemtik: it could actually be reverse. Think i read somewhere on this forum (can't find the link) that verbatim stopped producing bd-r do themselves and outsource those.

Now I need some help on the following:-

Yes you do....

In order to make what you want, you need some software not only one. you need to write the correct words in google and you will find what you are looking for.

Cherrs.

wrong, you can't shrink a 3D blu-ray disc to single layer. The only way to backup a 3D disc to single layer is if the original is also single layer. And if you're talking about "DVDFab"s so called power to shrink it well, i've tried it on over a dozen discs. 90% failed to shrink with some weird filter error and the other 10% had visual glitches throughout the entire movie.

A 3D Bluray contains a 2D left-eye image plus extensions to give the right eye image. In theory it is possible to play any 3D Bluray as 2D by ignoring the extensions (that's what some software does). However the Bluray authors can prevent 2D playback if they wish, although Slysoft can remove that restriction.

Whilst it is not possible to shrink a full resolution 3D Bluray, it is possible to re-encode the data so that it places left and right eye views side-by-side (or over-under) into a single 2D frame, which is played as 2D and which a 3D TV can be made to recognise as proper 3D. Because both views are in the same 2D frame, each eye view has half the normal resolution. If you see a 3D mkv called SBS, that is what it is: side-by-side eye views that can be played as 3D in a regular mkv container. Because both eye views are in a 2D frame and because a re-encode has control over the space occupied, it is possible to squeeze a 3D movie into less than 25GB with suitable software but it will take time and the resulting quality will be less than proper 3D Bluray.

Passive 3D TVs generally provide a better result if a 3D mkv is created as over-under rather than side-by-side.

If wanting a large number of 3D Bluray copies, it is more cost effective to save to hard drive (and duplicate it for security purposes) and use a player that can recognise that storage medium and format.

Last edited:
Back